What's new

SIMPLEST DVD player for my mom? (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
What is the absolute easiest DVD player to work out there?
My mom has a 27" lowish to mid end 4:3 Toshiba TV with S-video and now wants DVD. Her English is mediocre but easily gets by.
I want to get her the absolutely easiest player in existence to use.
I'm considering multi-region, but only if there is an easy one to use. Otherwise Region 1 is fine. (If multiregion then a Chinese player would be best, since she speaks and of course reads Chinese.)
1) No progressive scan
2) Component out is irrelevant
3) Must have one touch audio selection on remote
4) Must have one touch subtitle selection on remote
5) Video quality is of secondary importance.
6) Remote must be extremely intuitive, with multiple button shapes and sizes. Preferably, the buttons and/or labels should be relatively big.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Thanks, I'll take a look at the Phillips. I actually have an Apex AD-600A for all region. (See my sig.) However, I find that one completely non-intuitive, because the remote is terrible. I hadn't even considered the other models, but I'll take a look.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Last year's Panasonic DVD-RV30 is the ultimate no bullshit DVD play in my opinion. It's loads up fast and the remote is simple...I'm sure you could find one for under $180 on ebay or elsewhere.
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Eugene: I think you are focusing on the wrong thing.
If you are worried Mom cannot handle a complex DVD remote, what about when she wants to watch a DVD and must:
- Turn on the TV and switch to the SVideo input
- Turn on the receiver and switch to the DVD input
- Turn on the DVD player and start playing the movie
It's getting all 3 devices to work together in a simple fashion that is the challenge.
I have a suggestion for you:
- Try one of the little DVD/Receiver/mini-speaker systems from Sony or Pioneer. The speakers are small (which mom will like) and it merges the DVD and receiver functions into 1 box and 1 remote. I have not played with them much, but they do appear to cater to the non-technical. (Kind of the DVD version of the "Close And Play" phonograph).
Then, Hide the remotes! Show her how to use the system with the front-panel controls. Yes, it is a pain to get up and fiddle, but most people can handle STOP and PLAY on the DVD player, ON/OFF on the receiver and ON/SOURCE on the TV.
It's when you try and make 1 remote multi-task or have to do the "Remote Juggle" that things get complex and confusing.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks