What's new

Simple Superbit DVD question. How to spot a fake? (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Quick help guys. Does every SuperBit DVD have the RED DISK top?

I have a legit copy of the Labrynth(sp?) SuperBit DVD. The top of the disk is red? Are they all this way?

I recieved a "SuperBit Dracula" I suspect its a fake. Fakes seem to have the dvd cover printed on the dvd as well. The one I got has this. Every DVD I have noticed always has a seperate DVD top than the outside cover.

I just want to be 100% positive its bogus.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
My Dracula Superbit dvd has the red top just like my Labyrinth one. I'm guessing your Dracula one is a fake or possibly the original dvd of the movie...

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Look like you have a fake. I think my SuperBit Dracula has a red face.
Is it dual layer? Is the bottom of the disc gold?

Doug

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
That is a new one to me.
The bootleggers have access to dual layer factories?
There is no such thing as a DVD9 blank so I'm not sure how it can be done.

If it is a DVD9, then it probably is an exact copy of the real superbit Dracula so no loss to you (but I doubt it, probably is a transcoded DVD5).

If you play it on a player that shows bit rate, and the bit rate is ~7 or higher, then it is the superbit version (but probably a copy).

Doug

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Bootleggers have been producing DVD-9s since at least late 2001.

See, bootlegging where most of these come from is not like here, where everyone is running DVD-Rs. In Asia they CAN set up these factories and no one cares as long as they pay off the right people (though the countries which can afford to allow this is shrinking, most boots come out of Malaysia and Singapore these days)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
That is interesting.
I wonder what kind of production run of a Superbit Dracula bootleg would they have to run to actually make any money when you can buy a legit copy for ~$20.
If I had access to a factory like that, I would think the latest A release (ie Harry Potter) would be more cost effective.

Doug

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what kind of production run of a Superbit Dracula bootleg would they have to run to actually make any money when you can buy a legit copy for ~$20.
Yes, and you can make a bootleg copy for $2 and sell it for $7. You have to understand that most bootleggers are NOT "companies" they are front organizations to launder mob money (drugs, guns, prostitutes etc) through.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
In this case, I suspect my copy of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon may be a fake. The dic cover is the same as the artwork, and on the back cover at the bottom, their is the DTS-ES logo. Can anyone comment on this as well??

YANG

Screenwriter
JEFF,
"...(though the countries which can afford to allow this is shrinking, most boots come out of Malaysia and Singapore these days)..."

Though i cannot guarantee to you that there might be some disc repilcating plants in SINGAPORE maybe involve in bootlegging activities...most of the bootleg discs that you see in states or other countries are mostly from either china or other asian states.

SINGAPORE authorities impose strict regulations to cinema operators and software manufacturing bodies.

And most of the bootleg discs sold in SINGAPORE are mostly originated from neighboring states...

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
On a related note, my brother sent me a DVD of a kung-fu flick called VOLCANO HIGH... and the cover has SUPERBIT slapped on it in blue and gold. It's hilarious! The back of the case says DISC 1 and DISC 2 and gives Japanese descriptions... but it's a single disc. It also says "Color 178 Mins" and the movie is less than 2 hours. And of course, like my copy of Shaolin Soccer, it says DTS 6.1 ES and only has a DD track.

I especially like the fact that it has "Scene selecitons (24 sequence)" and "CG making film commentary". It even has "Music video". Of course, none of these special features are anywhere to be found.

Oh, and the DVD itself has the Universal logo on it. :D

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
All Superbits have DTS, IIRC. The point is non-superbit columbia titles don't have DTS, so if it's a non superbit release and has a DTS track, it's a boot.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
THose are all old titles from before they started the superbit line. Since superbits were introduced, Columbia doesn't put DTS on their other releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks