What's new

Similar Alternatives to the Bose 3.2.1 system out there? (1 Viewer)

Theodore_R

Auditioning
i just added this as a reply to a "i hate bose thread" but need answers quickly so made my own. apologies in advance if inappropriate.

I am fully aware of the bose scam and would never consider buying for myself. however the concept and purpose of the 3.2.1 is useful and necessary. for instance, let's say you already have a home theater setup in your living room and want to watch dvd's in your bedroom. you want something better than your tv sound but don't want 5 speakers and all the wires in your small bedroom -- a receiver that can "process" 5.1 into a workable two speaker setup (like the 3.2.1 does) is ideal.

now here's what i need to know -- are there other systems that do this -- process 5.1 into two speakers so that the imaging is listenable? i need to know soon because i am helping shop for one for a friend's christmas present. money is not really an object and the bose package is a match in terms of features needed. please give me alternatives before i reccomend the bose! thanks.

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
For Speakers, Try Gallo Acoustics. They have a very nice, small speaker in a distinctive round enclosure. This will work if your decorating tends toward the modern.
http://www.roundsound.com/home.htm
For a receiver, find one that has a "Phantom" surround or 2 channel surround mode.

Theodore_R

Auditioning
thanks! but are there home theater in a box packages that have "phantom center channel" or something similar? furthermore, the 3.2.1 goes even further, from what i can tell, and somehow processes some of the rear sound effects into the front two speakers ("phantom rear"?) -- i know this is somewhat more dubious, but it really didn't sound too shabby in the store -- just way overpriced. are there other packages that have this feature.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Some DVD players claim to do this, but I haven't personally tested this feature.

For example, my very low priced Samsung DVD-M301 has a "3-D Sound" feature (also called "Spatializer N-2-2") that, according to the manual produces a "simulated surround effect" when the player is connected to a 2-channel stereo via its analog outputs.

I'm sure Bose would say that this isn't the same as what they have. And, of course, it isn't "exactly" the same. But I doubt there are objective tests that have been run that could say that one is better than the other, or that either is really effective.

Actually, my TV (a Toshiba 56X81) claims to do the same thing with its internal stereo speakers.

I wouldn't spend the extra money on the Bose. I'd just play the film in stereo or maybe use the 3-D feature in the DVD player.

Theodore_R

Auditioning
The thing is, the TV in question is a 20" Sony Wega with good but frankly boring and dull sounding speakers -- the Bose 3.2.1 would blow it away. I realize that any of the mill receiver with with two mid-size speakers would also sound good (especially if it had the "phantom center" mode). The bose does it with a much smaller package, and includes the dvd player. face it, if you don't want a lot of speakers, and don't care about the price, the bose 3.2.1 makes sense, doesn't it? i'm still loathe to buy it, know what that grand could get me elsewhere. i'm also tempted to buy a sony dream system and tell the recipient to forego hooking up the rear speakers (and possibly the mid) -- it's just that the bose 3.2.1 presents a more elegant and whole solution, rip off that it is.

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Theodore,

So sorry, but there are a number of mini-system packages that offer a simulated surround mode that is intended to create a phantom rear channel. The Bose is not unique in this respect. Hughes SRS an example of one that is frequently found in computer audio and mini-systems. I haven't listened to any of them.

So, if you're looking to recommend the Bose system with a clear conscience, it won't happen. Should you recommend Bose, you will be visited by three ghosts on Christmas Eve.

First, you will be visited by the Ghost of Bose past. A Pair of Bose 901's will appear, draggging the equalizer box behind them, creating a hideous clanking and scraping noise. You'll be subjected to the awful sound of 18 4" paper cone speakers trying to reproduce bass and treble. This will go on seemingly forever. Barry Manilow will be there. You'll wake up in cold sweat, screaming to make the nightmare end, then moaning Direct/Reflected, Direct/Reflected.........

.....but there's more to come. And only you can stop the madness.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
heh, i just started working at a hifi A/V store in my hometown (it sells Bose :frowning:) and some guy comes in with his beloved 'bass module' inhand. he starts complaining about how it hardly makes sound any more and sounds like crap. i was SOOOO tempted to tell him that it was probably working normally!! geez, when will this Bose era end?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks