What's new

Silent Hill 2 (Xbox) better than PS 2? (1 Viewer)

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
This is from Gamespot:
__________________________________________________ _______
Konami of America has detailed the specific extras that will be included in the Microsoft Xbox version of Silent Hill 2. When starting a new game, players can choose from the main scenario, titled Letter From Silent Heaven, which is essentially the same as the PlayStation 2 game, and a new Xbox-exclusive mode, titled Sub Scenario: Born From A Wish. In this extra mode, players will assume the role of Maria, the mysterious woman whom James Sunderland, the lead character of the game, initially meets in Silent Hill. Born From A Wish, which adds about four to six hours of gameplay, will play out the story of Silent Hill 2 through the eyes of Maria, thus explaining specific details that are left unanswered in the main scenario and providing a second perspective on the events of the game.
In addition to the new game mode, Silent Hill 2 includes a few visual enhancements. Specifically, the noise filter that intentionally distorted the screen in the PlayStation 2 version can now be turned on and off at will by going into the options menu and pressing R1 on the Xbox controller. With the noise turned off, players will be able to further appreciate the visual detail in the game's characters and environments. Additionally, new lighting effects have also been implemented in the Xbox game.
Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, which is the official title of the Xbox version, will be released sometime in December.
__________________________________________________ __
I wish the PS2 was this good. Don't get me wrong, I like the PS2 version quite a bit, but the ability to play Maria sounds cool.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean, also this new mode is supposed to add 4-6 Hours to the game!!!!

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
its things like this that makes you buy all the systems.. i was already planning on getting the xbox eventually.. now it just got bumped up quite a bit. the entire time i was messing around with the ps2 verison i was wishing i could play maria's character. i really didn't like james at all.. i miss the character of harry from the first game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I could care less about extra graphics, but its the extra mode that bugs me. The game is coming out sooner than I would have ever imagined, and I might want to get it. I already have the PS2 version, and thats making it harder for me to imagine spending another $50 for an extra mode.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
its things like this that makes you buy all the systems..
Yeah, this kind of stuff drives me nuts. One of the main reasons I'll be buying an GCN is to play RE...again!
[Edited last by JohnE on October 25, 2001 at 09:17 PM]

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
This still isn't enough to make me buy an X-box (and its hard for me to turn this down cause anyone reading this forum lately knows how in love I am with SH2.)
It drives me up a wall when developers do this! On the other hand I'm not to worried about these things anyway. After 10 years of being a hardcore gamer I've learned one simple constant. Almost Nothing is Exclusive. I wouldn't doubt if Konami a little farther down the line releases the GCN version of this along with a PS2 reissue.
I will say this also. The extra 4-6 hours of gameplay and the ability to play Maria sounds really interesting and will definitely sell allot of existing SH fans alone. Besides that though I downloaded movies of the X-box version and as far I can tell (after beating the PS2 version 6 times) graphically it looks virtually identical to the PS2 version. From what I have read they also reduced the level of the noise filter making it less effective as the PS2 version. This of course is all reports I've read from various websites that I usually follow and they must be taken with a grain of salt because we wont know for sure until the game arrives. All in all though I hope the X-box buyers out there enjoy the game.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Umm, you can disable the noise in the PS2 version also. I went into the menu (maybe it was the "hidden" menu...can't remember right now) and there was the option to turn the noise on or off.
So, I don't see why everyone is making such a big deal about this feature in the Xbox version.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Good point Andy. After you beat the PS2 version once you can go in to the options and hit l1 and r1 and you will get to the special menu options that allow you to turn off the noise (I dont know why in the world you would but hey some dont like the noise) filter.
They are touting probably because you can just access it normally now instead of having to beat the game first.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Is there a code that enables the noise toggle before you beat the game? With all the cool stuff out, it's gonna be a helluva long time before I play this a second runthrough...
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
You have to beat the game one time to get the noise filter toggle option. If you have not beat the game it will not allow you to turn off the noise filter. You can still access the secret menu but it will not appear there.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
This will be one of the first games to seperate the Xbox from the rest. Halo and Dead or Alive 3 will do awesome and mostly be great games but Silent Hill 2 was origianlly made for PS2 and now is built from a new engine for the Xbox so this is nothing like the Sega sports games that are just ports. It will show the power of the system. I guess the only problem is, Silent Hill is a game that doesn't take huge power. The whole fog thing was made due to system limitations and became popular. Still, the 5.1, the new engine, and new modes. How can they go wrong?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Still, the 5.1, the new engine, and new modes. How can they go wrong?
Cuz not many people have 5.1 and its not that big of a deal, the PS2 version also had a new engine for itself, and the new mode (singular, not plural) only adds a few hours to the game. Overall, not worth another $50 if you already have the first game. They purposely announced details about the XB version a month after the release of the first game so the XB news wouldn't hinder the sales of the PS2 version much. I personally would rather have had them release just a port with better graphics and 5.1 on the XB. I will miss the extra mode, but not much.
Capcom is releasing all the RE games on one console, so if anyone has missed out on any of them, they can buy a GCN and get the best versions of them all. Even though Nintendo bought the exclusivity from Capcom, its still a good strategy.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Cuz not many people have 5.1 and its not that big of a deal
LOL...you do realize you're talking to a group of people who probably all do have 5.1. Plus, how can you say it's not a big deal?? It's makes a huge difference in movies...and if used correctly I would expect the same out of games.
Can you imagine how much more intense the atmosphere in a game like SH2 could be with good use of the 5.1 surround??
I LOVED SH and it's been killing me to not buy it for the PS2, but the potential of the 5.1 alone has me waiting for the XBOX version.
Aaron

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I think Morgan is trying to speak for the general public here. We all do appreciate 5.1 and lord knows I would love to hear SH2 in 5.1
biggrin.gif
but in general the casual gamer may not care about the that particular feature in the game. I think its a valid point but I also think that is underestimating the general public as well.
Its tough for me. I really dont want an X-box but my love for SH2 is really jerking me in the other direction. I hope that Konami decides to release this on the Gamecube or the PS2 as that will alleviate my want.....but damn 5.1 sound and the ability to play as Maria and unravel even more of this awesome story is really enticing!!

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
SH2 for the Xbox becomes a buy then....
Much later, though, when it either becomesa Xbox greatest hit or goes on clearance.
I've found that is the best (& cheapest) way to get the games that you want.
Heck, I've probably saved over $300 on the DC games alone...
biggrin.gif

Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To tell the truth, I would rather have a game right now with just surround than have to wait several months later and have to buy a whole new console just to play it with 5.1 and an extra game mode that I could care less about. 5.1 will make the game better, but its not so drastic that I would spend an extra $300 to have it. The PS2 will have 5.1 on it soon, even though it isn't in Silent Hill 2.
Whats the point of 5.1 if the game sucks or its done badly? Silent Hill 2 doesn't suck, but then again, not every XB game coming out between now and Silent Hill 2 for XB will be great. You could buy a PS2 right now, buy all the good games that are out for it, and you would have more good games for PS2 than the XB will have by Christmas. I'll take better games over 5.1 any day.
And I was speaking for the general public. I have 5.1, but I don't know many people who aren't into HT stuff who do. And if I did, they could probably care less about it being in videogames.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'll go to IGN or Cloudchaser if I want to talk with the 'general public'. And it ain't a pretty sight, believe me. Who cares if those guys don't have 5.1, this is the HTF! 5.1 is good!
It's funny how the XBox bashers like to talk about how most people don't have 5.1, but they don't make the same argument about Dolby Pro-Logic II on the GameCube. There are a hell of a lot more people with 5.1 than with Dolby Pro-Logic II.
Kudos to Microsoft for including 5.1! Remember, the lifespan of a game console can easily be 5 or more years. There are going to be a hell of a lot more 5.1 setups out there in the next few years. A great way to help future proof a console. In terms of it's audio, hi-def ability, networking, and storage, the XBox has set the bar for the next generation...and at the same price as the PS2!
Oh, and I'm glad they are adding features to the XBox version of SH2. And I won't be bitter if they release a 'special edition' for the PS2 later that has the XBox enhancements and then some! Why be spiteful?
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on October 28, 2001 at 02:47 PM]

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
You bring up some good points and I agree about the general public boards...I was just trying to help demonstrate Morgans thinking little more :)
Besides that I don't know who you think is being spiteful but I have not bashed the X-box in any way. I personally do not want the system as the Gamecube appeals to me more but I have up until this point applauded the added features and the 5.1 abilities that the X-box will bring to the game. Further more I don't think anyone is being intentionally spiteful. I think allot of people who love this game (like me) want to have the most complete version so we now have to think a little harder about an X-box purchase.
Lets not turn this into a fanboy thread cause this can degenerate really easily from an intelligent conversation to the aforementioned "general public" discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks