Silence Of The Lambs Criterion vs. S.E.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steve Lockwood, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Steve Lockwood

Steve Lockwood Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    I already own a copy of SOTL criterion and was wondering if I should get the new special edition? Is anyone else who has the criterion getting the s.e. and are there any differences in the two versions? Thank you for your time and help.
    ------------------
    -Everybody knows that the dice are loaded-™

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

The following is an excerpt from DVDFile's review of the new SE coming out this Tueday:

3. GuyCrawford

GuyCrawford Auditioning

The new SE in anamorphic while the Criterion is not. So naturally I will have both in my collection.
    ------------------
    A hopeless addict of this damn hobby.

4. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

5. Craig

Craig Second Unit

The new disc sports a really nice looking transfer. I don't think anyone will be unhappy with this DVD in terms of the video quality. My understanding is that the Criterion DVD had the same transfer as the Orion version. If that's the case then the new S.E. will be an improvement visually. It's better looking than the older non-enhanced Orion version I had.
    I guess the Criterion still has the upper hand as far as extras, but in terms of visual quality I think you'll find the new S.E. is noticably better.

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward Extra

My policy of never re-buying a movie already I own on DVD is being strained to say the least over this title. [​IMG]
    Mark Ward.
    ------------------

7. Carl Bradshaw

I have both and the new anamorphic transfer was the main reason for buying the film again. It was well worth it in my opinion.

8. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Does the new MGM version use the proper burnt-in subtitles, or do they instead use "soft" dvd subs?

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Michael, if you could post your impressions of the video transfer after viewing the new MGM disc, I'd appreciate it. I'm still not convinced that I should be buying this (especially with some of the other upcoming fall titles.)

11. Kevin Matthews

Kevin Matthews Stunt Coordinator

This version in addition to a sharper transfer (I have yet to see this for myself but the criterion disc IMO had some problems in this erea) will also have captioning which as many of my deaf friends will tell you is a very good thing to have and was not on the other releases.
    You know as much as I like Criterion I have always had a problem with their (until a few years ago) non-captioned attitude towards films, I know they are a small company & it costs a bit of cash but deaf people want the best in film too. This seemingly is a moot point "nowadays" as far as Criterion goes but Anchor Bay still has a ways to go in this erea themselves...or have they changed their policy as well? I hope so because there is still no good copy of Halloween or Martin or Night of the living Dead available with captions as yet.
    ------------------
    Kevin Matthews
    No sir....I don't like it!
    [Edited last by Kevin Matthews on August 19, 2001 at 01:34 PM]

12. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I am also a firm advocate of the "BUY BOTH DAMMIT! Policy" ...I figure, best of both worlds...
    ...hmm, wonder why I don't have any money to eat.
    ------------------
    Latest Additions: Wayne's World: The Complete Epic, Die Hard Collection
    "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi...At last, we will have revenge."
    3 more months...

14. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

While I agree that the MGM DVD looks clearer than the Criterion one, frankly, I think it looks TOO clear. To me, the whole thing appeared excessively bright and sunny. Well, "sunny" may be an exaggeration, but I thought older versions more aptly communicated the general tone of the film; this one simply seemed to lack the morbid character of the older ones.
    I'd be curious to know if anyone else feels the same way. I honestly don't know which comes closer to the filmmaker's intentions, but I felt that curiously uninvolved as I watched the MGM DVD. Even though I've seen the film many mes, it always managed to hit me in the pit of my stomach, but that wasn't the case with the new disc. I never got that impression of foreboding and doom that always went with prior viewings...
    ------------------
    Colin Jacobson
    DVD Movie Guide
    www.dvdmg.com

15. Calvin Cullen

Calvin Cullen Stunt Coordinator

Buy both and treat them like a really excellent two-disc set. Shouldn't set you back too much since you already own the CC version. The MGM release also apparently has more deleted scenes, a rather in-depth documentary and a few other extras not on the older releases.

16. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

The SE has a DD5.1 track while the CC disc only has Pro-logic since Criterion won't mess with the original Soundtrack. I'm getting the new one for that and anamorphic, but I love the commentary track on the CC disc and will keep that one as well ;-)
    Brian

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

At the risk of sounding like Mr. Whiner, I also preferred the old 2.0 soundtrack to the new 5.1 edition. I directly compared the MGM DVD's audio with that of the old Criterion LD, and the latter was a clear winner; it sounded much deeper and richer...
    ------------------
    Colin Jacobson
    DVD Movie Guide
    www.dvdmg.com

18. andrew markworthy

I think if you've already got the Criterion, then the prime reason to buy the SE as well is if you want the new extras or (very good point, Kevin) subtitles. The issue of picture quality is a moot point.
    The SE is definitely sharper and brighter, the Criterion more muted and subtle. Both have their good and bad points (personally I prefer the Criterion, but this is a subjective, not objective opinion). I suppose an added reason to buy the SE is to compare and contrast the transfers of the SE and Criterion to illustrate how radically different two acceptable transfers can be.

19. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Scott listed the bad news. Now here is the good:

20. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I think the idea of owning 2 different copies of one film is ludicrous. For my money, the Criterion release, though non-anamorphic, is still a really good transfer, supervised by the DP. Its only in 2.0 Surround, but the 5.1 remix is almost exactly the same as the original mix. Where the suppplements are concerned, all the good deleted scenes on the new disc also appeared on the criterion release, and the documentary, while long and in-depth, is fairly standard stuff. The commentary on CC disc is the only supplement worth having!
    A 'no-brainer'? Yeah. Stick with the criterion. If you want to waste money on improved resolution, and some extras which you wont watch more than once. Go ahead!