What's new

Should you force Dolby 5.1 --> Dolby EX 7.1? (same with DTS) (feedback please) (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Force Dolby Digital --> Dolby Digital EX?
Force DTS --> DTS-ES Matrix?

Should you make your receiver force Dolby EX or DTS-ES Matrix sound out of regular 5.1 encodings like Dolby 5.1 and DTS?

I have a 6.1 setup right now, but from what I've read before, it's best to just leave it on "Auto" detect, so that only movies programmed for Dolby EX or DTS ES play the sound from the 6th speaker. But I'm starting to read differently. For example, many of the DVD reviews on DVDfile.com say "If you have EX, use it."

I want to get a lot of feedback on this, to finally get it decided what set our receivers at.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Lanny,

The majority of DD-EX encoded discs don't have the flag to trigger EX mode on your reciever automatically, so on most of them you do have to force it anyway.

I leave mine in forced mode all the time.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i usually leave it on force. it sounds better, if for anything, because any background music then comes from all around, including the rear center. for alot of newer 5.1 non-EX discs, you'll find the receiver extracting the right sound effects into coming only out of the rear center in EX mode.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

thats why i dont use force mode.

i dont want the surround sound only in the rear center channel.

SvenS

Second Unit
Forcing a 5.1 to 6.1/7.1 tends to collapse the surround field in the rear which to me leaves the positioning of alot of ambient sounds, and produces to neutral a based sound in the rear surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks