What's new

Should I jump on the Panny XP30 bandwagon? (1 Viewer)

ethan_l

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a JVC XV502S hooked up to a Samsung HCM4215 HDTV
through component,
will I see a dramatic increase in PQ if I upgrade to XP30?
Also if anyone can comment on the PQ between the new S35S model and XP30, that'll be great

Thanks

ethan_l

Stunt Coordinator
why all the views and not a single reply
I did a search on the forum and many ppl have the XP30
just want an honest opinion

AnthonyJS

Agent
why all the views and not a single reply
Well, since your thread title does not mention what, if any, DVD player you are currently using I'm sure a lot of us have viewed your thread to see exactly what you wanted to know. Also, owners of the JVC may not even be looking at the thread since you only mention the XP30. Had you entitled your thread something like "JVC XV502S versus Panny XP30/S35S" the number of looks (and replies) may be different. Another reason for no replies (and this applies to me since I looked earlier) is the fact that many of us may not have any experience with the JVC or S35S even though we own XP30s. Therefore it wouldn't be fair if we (or I) told you to jump on the XP30 bandwagon. That said, am I happy with my XP30? Absolutely. Is it better than the JVC? I have no clue. What about the S35S? I have no clue, although I've read that it is inferior to the XP30 and has some chroma issues.

Hope this helps! ;)

greg_t

Screenwriter
The thing about the XP30 is that it uses the exact same video compenents as the RP82, which means it has the Farjouda DCDI deinterlacing chip and uses Panasonics chroma bug free MPEG decoder. The S35 uses Panasonics new all in one chip, and does not have the DCDI chip and supposedly now has the chroma bug. I have an XP30 and am very pleased with it. I haven't seen the S35, so I can't comment on it. There is a reason for the price difference between the two, and that's because the xp30 uses better components.

Marcel_V

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest you go to the local Sharper Image and buy one, and see for yourself. Its too hard to subjectively say over an internet forum what your eyes may see. I got it for 199 locally there. If you dont like it, return it and its an easy test. :)

I just upgraded my old sony interlaced player to an xp30, and saw a noticable improvment on my 47" hd rptv. In that same grain of salt, my girlfriend with less that 20/20 vision like mine didnt notice a difference at all. According to the DVD Shootout ratings, she should have since the xp30 is the highest rated player out there, but real world isnt the same as statistics, too many variables.

The moral is, I think the best way to find out the answer is to test it yourself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks