What's new

Should I go for MX500 or TSU2000 (1 Viewer)

Evan Mann

Agent
Price differences aside. What do you guys think? I realize one is an LCD touchscreen based remote and the other is a traditional hard button remote, but I'm interested in programmability and functionality? Does the Pronto totally blow away the MX500 in its capabilities or are they similar? How about ease of use?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
From what I've read I don't know if the Pronto will blow the MX500 away for features and ease of use, but it definately has the ability to decisively beat it in this category. If features and abilities are the primary concern and not cost or wanting something you can use by feel, than the Pronto would be my choice. But my personal preference would be for the ability to use by feel and my budget would hardly allow a MX500 at this point little lone a Pronto. I think it would be tough to be disappointed by either, but with your criteria I would think the Pronto would be the easy choice.

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,
A couple of things, first both are great remotes however each has it's nitch.
The differences between the two break down into 2 major categories, tactile vs. graphics. Pronto is more customizable in the graphics the MX500 is suited for those that like buttons for their feel. Drop by www.remotecentral.com and read the reviews on both. If you like the Pronto then download ProntoEdit, the software used to customize the look and feel. Also you will find forums that address both remotes.
BTW, I happen to have the Marantz RC-5000 which is the Pronto's first cousin. They are identical with the exception of color and some software features, if you want to learn more www.remotecentral.com will have FAQ's on both that will answer most questions. Personally I like the Maranz over the Pronto for those features and it also comes with the battery charger.
------------------
R. Kaufmann
My DVD Profiler Collection

Bob Muhlhan

Auditioning
You won't lose any functionality with the MX500. It's a great remote with lots of preprogrammed devices and easy to setup more. I owned a pronto, played with the programming for a while and tried the MX when my wife dropped the pronto and broke the glass. I'll never go back.
The Pronto is a nice looking unit, but unless you want to become a programmer, it's vastly overrated. I have two systems that I run off the same remote. The macros allow you to easily set-up multiple command chains to sequentially perform several settings. The MX500 will do everything that most of us want or need simply, reliably and for much less of an investment.
Good luck in your search. You'll like the 500 if it's your final choice.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I would agree more or less with Bob's point about the Pronto. I own a TSU2000 and felt that the default menus were fairly generic and nothing to write home about (IMO).
However, you can have so much fun with the Pronto creating your own interface via ProntoEdit! There's practically no limit to what you can do. True, it does take a little patience and time to get used to ProntoEdit, but once you've learned the basics, it's not too bad (and there is a huge user community out there to help you out).
I'm almost done creating my first comprehensive interface for my Pronto, and now that I'm experimenting with the "beta" version, I've noticed that it takes a little while to get used to not having hard buttons that can be operated by feel. Also, sometimes it can feel like you have to access a lot of screens to operate multiple components (for example, to turn on receiver, DVD player, and TV, then start DVD, then adjust TV input, etc.).
Operating in this manner, however, ignores one of the Pronto's strengths, which is the ability to create screens that host your favorite functions regardless of component. For example, I have some "movie" screens that contain all of my commonly used functions for the components I need to watch a movie. They're all right in front of me so that I don't have to go to the screens for a specific component.
Good luck choosing a remote - I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever remote you decide to purchase!
------------------
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks