What's new

Should I be scared of H/K? (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all!

I am fresh off of hearing that my AVR65 is non-repairable. It developed a buzz in the front three speakers after about 5 years of use. The service center determined the problem but it's not fixable...HK doesn't make the part anymore. So I'm back int he market and I loved the HK but I'm a little reserved about another one. I should have gotten more than 5 years out of this receiver.

Any thoughts?

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
in the 'not to distant past' HK had some serious QC problems, however, for the most part those problems are gone. no receiver manufacturer is 100% defect free so there isn't any promises. a good receiver should last more than 5 years but the way that technology progresses it's probably good that you're forced to update. HK makes an awsome receiver and only the most jaded enthusiest would advise you to go elsewhere.

JasenJ

Agent
While 5 years may be a bit short of a lifespan, it's within reason. Think of this as an opportunity to upgrade to one of HK's new x30 line (or try out some other manufacturer). The new models have 192kHz/24bit DACs, 7 channels of power, and component video. Quite an uprgrade from your older model.

- Jasen.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Don't misunderstand...I must admit that I had a slight grin ;) when I found out the machine was beyond repair. My problem is I spend WAY too much time researching details that in the end make no difference to my listening experience.

I'm open to more input if anyone has any. Thanks for the advice.

While I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good place to shop for the new H/K's online?
Rick

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting my hk 7200 from harmanaudio on ebay.com not sure if he is an authorized dealer though (probably not). But he claims factory warranties on all products.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
My POS Sony is going strong and it has been three years. Not one little issue with anything.

I am thinking about holding out as long as possible, then maybe going with seperates when I get my own place (I am 18)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jess,

I think (not completely sure) that harmanaudio is an outlet for H/K so I think your safe with it being authorized.

Ian-

Thanks for the J and R link. The new 230 is only $379.88 with free shipping. I feel the trigger being pulled.

Everyone else...thanks for the input.
Rick

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,

Curious on what the part was. If it was a HK custom part, I am surprised that it is completely out of stock, after 5 years. If you decide to get another HK, see if HK can come-up with a deal/exchange for your AVR65. It worth an email or two.

HarmanAudio is the outlet for HK, Infinity, and JBL, and you do get the full factory warrantee.

JohnS

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Hey John,

I'm one step ahead of you. I emailed customer support yesterday asking that exact question. I know a guy there through correspondence from when I bought my avr65. I'll keep you posted on whether or not they help me out.

Rick

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
A little story for you:

Back in 1984, I purchased a Sony 19" Trinitron TV for $500.00. It had the best picture ... I was so in love with it. In 1987, the TV was no longer under warranty and quit working. A service center advised me that the part was a common item that failed on that particular model. The fees to repair it were in the range of $200.00. I was so crushed. Instead, I purchased a Samsung 19" for $188.00 and was my first move for a Korean made product. Ironically, the Samsung TV was utilized for 14 years until my nephew pulled it of service as he was getting a new flat screen TV. I'm not sure where the Samsung is, but I'm sure it's probably still working.

Now, I have a 32" Sony Vega. I guess you'd figure that after my previous Sony only lasted 3 years, I'd be reluctant to purchase another TV from them. However, I did and am completely happy with the newer Sony.

Certain products can and will fail. I wouldn't be afraid of another H/K receiver. You could easily purchase a new receiver from another manufacturer which could fail prematurely, too.

Matt`G

Agent
I just bought a refurbished AVR 225 from soundcity.com last week. They are listed on H/K's site as being an authorized dealer. The receiver came within a few days, and I am very happy with it! Even though it's a refurb, I don't expect any problems with it - everything seems like it's in working order & no physical damage (from what I have read it seems H/K still warrants the receiver anyway!).

I'm not sure how their new prices compare, but the refurbed AVR-225 was $240 shipped! :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Matt, yes SoundCity is authorized and I buy my sound products from there as I live right in the area. I have more than likely touched the same box you had bought because I was looking at refurbed 225's. Anyways, SoundCity is a good place to shop, especially for new recievers... just call them up and ask.

As for being scared? Don't, I heard HK had quality issues as well but it seems after the x20 line they fixed it all.. So I would definantly go for it. Not to mention out of every reciever made I think the HK is always the best looking and it is def. an eye catcher.

I'd trust the H/K receivers as well. I just grabbed an AVR325 off OneCall a few weeks back for $450 shipped and couldn't be happier. Also, a quick question for Chris, what's been your experience about getting discounts of speakers @ Sound City. I'm heading out there tomorrow to hopefully pick up my Paradigm CC-170 and wondering what kind of discount I should be trying to get. Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to ask a quick question, hehehe.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I'll tell you one thing, H/K receivers sure are easy to operate. I just got home a short while ago and my 10-year-old daughter had started the Beetlejuice movie and sure enough, my H/K AVR-7200 was in use for the movie. Sure, I could program a macro to turn all of these items on, but, I like to look intelligent by having three remotes in my hand as I get the TV, DVD player and receiver ready to play a movie. :D :D :D :D

CurtisC

Second Unit
I too don't know about reliability but HK sounds great and is easy to operate.I just got a 125 for my bedroom and its very impressive for the $125 I paid used in perfect shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks