should DVD's take up the whole screen on a Widescreen (16x9) Plasma TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew*Jones, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

Hello,
    I recently purchased a Gateway Plasma TV that is 16X9. I also purchased a JVC progressive scan DVD player (JVC XV-S502SL). When I first watched a DVD (LOTR) it had the black bars on the top and bottom until I used the ZOOM feature on the TV.

I was then playing with the DVD players features and found in the menu that the Display type was set to 4:3. I quickly changed this to 16x9 and now any DVD takes up the full screen without using the ZOOM feature.

So my question is, am I overscanning the DVD by setting the DVD player to 16x9? Or should DVDs take up the full screen on a widescreen TV? Thanks for any help.

Andrew Jones

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

If your Plasma is 16:9 then you must set your DVD player to 16:9. Depending on the aspect ratio of the movie will determine wether the picture fits the whole screen. 16:9 equals 1.78:1. I believe LOTR is 2.35:1 so you should be getting some black bars. Check to make sure the set isn't still in Zoom or Full mode.

Kevin