What's new

SHIRI: review of region 1 DVD and comparison to region 0 (1 Viewer)

What would be the best version of "Shiri" to pick up"

Here are the features for each region.

Region 1

-Anamorphic widescreen

-Audio:

Original Korean Language Dolby Digital 5.1

English Dolby Digital 5.1

French Dolby Digital 5.1

-Extras

-'The Making of Shiri'

-'When I Dream Music Video'

-Theatrical trailers

Region 0

-Anamorphic Widescreen

-Audio

Original Korean Language Track in

Dolby Digital 2.0

Dolby Digital 5.1

DTS 5.1

-Extras (All In Korean, Except were noted)

-What Shiri Symbolises

-Director's Cut

-N.G. Scences

-Interviews

-Cast and Crew

-C.G. & special Effects & Stunts

-Music & Dubbing & Recording

-Behind Stories

-Audience & cast Review

-Broadcasting News

-Production Notes

-Making of Shiri

-When i Dream Music video

-Theatrical Trailers

-Gun Index

-Digital Audio Experiance

-Cast & Director Profiles(English Text)

From what you can see, the one I would likely buy is the region 0, because of the DTS track.

So what do you think would be the best bet for those who own the Region 0 DVD or have seen the movie?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
According to Columbia Tri-Star, their version sports a better anamorphic widescreen transfer.

But I'd rather have the dts Korean soundtrack.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
I haven't seen a running time anywhere for the Columbia release, so the Region 0 may be the better way to go.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Shiri R1 is not edited for content or dialogue but the cover art is very misleading. Although Shiri R1 may have dubtitles(subtitles of the English dubbed dialogue) versus the original subtitles.

I'm still sticking to the Korean release for the dts soundtrack and the 100% chance of getting the original subtitles.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
what a great movie.
i own the 2 disc region 0 dts dvd.
GO FOR REGION 0!
Plus, some very cool packaging!:emoji_thumbsup:

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Region 0 Shiri 2-disc set and watched it last night. Great dts soundtrack, great picture, great movie. Go for this version - I can't really imagine the picture being much better!

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
I'm selling my R0 now, since this is the only disc that gives me trouble on my front projection system (never tried it on the TV). It's like the picture stutters a lot, and I'm not talking about camera movement. It's like the actors don't move fluently, almost as if frames were missing. I don't how how to describe it really, but it bugged the hell out of me, and I'm going for the R1 version now.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
After some time of debating whether or not I was going to buy the R1. I traded off my R0-2 DVD Set. All those "other" extras weren't worth Jack. The packaging, however, is way cool.

The dts on the R0 was stunning. The picture was pretty good.

I heard that the R1 transfer was stunning, so it was a no-brainer for me. Better transfer = mine.

The movie itself is pretty good, nothing outstanding. So, maybe I won't pick up the R1.....

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen this Korean blockbuster (that beat Titanic in it's homeland) for the third time now, and it still blows me away. Technically, the new Columbia/Tristar DVD is the best the film has ever looked. If you're a fan of intelligent action thrillers and don't shy away from some over-the-top violence, check this film out; and do yourself a favor and watch the original language version with subtitles as the english dub completely robs the film of it's charm, especially in the quieter moments. Also, make sure not to watch the trailer as it completely spoils the film's conclusion. A film like Shiri is a rare thing. It delivers the action in spades, yet has a gripping story to tell and doesn't insult your intelligence. Heck, even my girlfriend loved the it, and she usually won't even sit down to watch this kind of movie.

-Mathias

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sounds good! I rented this the other day but haven't had a chance to watch it yet - I'll take care of that tomorrow night and let you know what I think. :)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Cool movie, just saw it tonight. Has anyone noticed the sound on this is really low?

Jeff

Supporting Actor
So how much better is the video on the R1 version than the R0? Does anyone else have the problems that Mathias has?

Also, I found the DD 5.1 on the R1 version very weak and I'm wondering if the audio is better on the R0 version.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
The Columbia disc has a really short deleted scene reinserted into the film, whereas the Korean disc has it separate in the supplement section.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the soundtrack on the Region 0 Korean version was louder. I think the Region 1 soundtrack is similar to the Phantom Menace DVD soundtrack, in that you had to increse the volume 5-7 dBs louder than normal.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Region 1 version has by far better video quality. Region 0 has the better soundtrack (DTS).

As for the subtitles, I don't think that the Region 1 version uses "dubtitles", they were almost identical to the region 0 version (I beleive there were a few grammatical errors in region 0 which were corrected in region 1.

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto on the subtitles. They are (almost) identical to the R0. I played the R1 on my front projection yesterday and it did not give me the problems I had with the R0. I also found the picture to be sharper and more colorful.

In comparison, the DD 5.1-TRack is lower on the R1, but when I turned it up I didn't notice any big difference to the R0.

As for the problems I had with my projection, I assume the R0 is interlaced (not uncommon for asian DVDs), and since I'm watching in progressive mode using a HTPC that's what might have produced those hiccups.

-Mathias

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have combined the various Shiri threads and retitled the merged thread. Please continue all discussions of this DVD here. Thanks.
Michael Reuben
HTF Administration

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks