What's new

Sherwood 9800 owners - let's have those tips please. (1 Viewer)

KevinYS

Grip
Phil,

It is true like John said, AVP9080 will auto detect between DD and DPL; from DD to DTS or from DTS back to DD are the only time you have to switch with the push button. To do the remote turn on for external amp of other brand, you can use the switched outlet in the back with a wallwart. Sherweed amp you might not need to do it this way.

Kevin

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I thought that was what those little green jacks were for. :) I wish SN had the manuals online in PDF for these pieces.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Phillip, I think you may need an Audio Authority digital switcher box to use with that 3 input pre. I added one to my Pioneer SP-99D cause it only has three digital holes too. Their box has priority switching and are handy to use with AC-3 RF converters too. Not that you'd need to, of course. I have an LD player and MD deck sharing the 99D's toslink input. I thoght you'ins mite neet 1...? Best wishes from Laserland!:)

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
So how do you adjust the individual speaker volume on this thing?

I thought that I was following the instructions in the manual but it doesn't seem to work.

I hit the test tone while I'm in DD, and the pre cycles through the various speakers. While it's playing the test tone in one of the individual speakers, I can hit the master vol control down, and the level responds, but the next time it cycles around it's back to 0 db again.

What am I doing wrong?

J

John Morris

Art: the volume control on the remote only controls the system volume and does not adjust the individual speakers. I believe that you need to let the tones cycle through while noting the vol variations on each speaker from the RS sound meter. Then I get up and do the speaker adjustments on the drop down front panel of the unit itself. It may take you a few trips to the 9080 to get it perfect but remember you should only have to do it once. I might be wrong about this, but this is how I've always done it.

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Thanks for the tip. Sure doesn't sound like it ought to be this way though. Even my ancient Sony 1000ES had separate speaker adjustments. I agree that -theoretically- the speakers should only have to be balanced once, but practically speaking, there are numerous times when either the dialog (center channel) needs a boost, or the rear surrounds suddenly knock you out of your seat, and have to be cut. I often have a hard time convincing my wife that "this is how it would sound in the theater" and am told to turn it down.

Guess I'll have to look at my new DVD player(Pan 91), and see if I can adjsut the separate speakers on the fly with it. Of course, I'd have to use the decoders in it instead of the Sherwood, but it might be worth the hassle if I can do what I need to do.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
The procedure to adjust the volume of each speaker on the AVP-9080 is outlined in the operator's manual. As I recall it is a bit counter-intuitive, but it is easy to implement once understood and you can leave each channel on for as long as necessary before moving to the next channel.

If you can't get it even with the operator's manual, call Eugene Chavez in our technical service department: 800 962-3203, ext. 115 for his help.

As several have already pointed out, our Digi-Link technology will power up the main amp automatically when the pre-pro is switched on. (As an additional tip, don't plug the AC for any main amp into the AVP-9080. The courtesy outlets are only rated for 1 amp, and you'll blow an internal fuse if you try.)

The AVP will automatically select between DD and DPL. Switching to DTS does require intervention on your part.

Tone direct does, indeed, bypass the line amp. And with an analog input in the stereo mode, the AVP enters what I call "Purist" mode. All processing is shut down, even the subwoofer output.

For those who are "Pronto Proficient" there are additional discrete IR codes for this model posted at remote central. Or we can supply our version of the SL-9000 remote with these codes already included (for an additional charge.)

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Jeff Hipps

Sherwood America

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
Thanks for the tips. I trust that the remote that comes with the receiver will have the proper functionality.
Tone direct does, indeed, bypass the line amp. And with an analog input in the stereo mode, the AVP enters what I call "Purist" mode. All processing is shut down, even the subwoofer output.
Since I'll be running an Outlaw IBCM between the pre/pro and the amp, and I have small speakers, I believe I will be using this feature all the time. :)

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
OK, yet another question.

I bought a Home Theatermaster MX-500 remote a month or so ago, and figured that I'd wait until I got another preamp and a DVD before setting it up. Has anyone used this remote with the AVP9080r?

Basically I'm asking if all the Sherwood codes are preprogrammed, (there are 9 setup codes for Sherwood in the MX-500 manual--any work?) or should I blank out a space in the MX-500 and manually teach it everything from the Sherwood's remote?

Are there any discreet codes that I might need to get into the MX-500 that can't be learned from the Sherwoods remote. Who makes that one byw? Any more tips?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Don't know about the remote codes, sorry. I'm hoping there's OneForAll codes in my Producer8 since I really like that remote.
I got the amp today and was pleasently surprised to find five high quality audio cables included in the package. What a pleasent surprise! I'm very tempted to hook it up to my 919 and see how the 919 works as a pre/pro. ;)

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Art:
Frankly I'm not sure what codes are included in the MX-500. However, I can tell you for certain that Universal Remotes has all the pertinent Newcastle codes as we are using our own version of the MX-500 for our R-963. If the codes aren't in your remote, on a worst case basis, you could send it in to us at Sherwood and we could teach your remote the missing codes.
Anyhow, let me know what you learn. I can be reached at: [email protected]
Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Although the AVP-9080 does not have a designated zone 2 output, it does have two independent video record out feeds. You can use one of these for the second zone.

Jeff Hipps

Lance Dahl

Agent
Boy that was a fast reply, thanks Jeff. If I were to use the video out feeds I would beable to send the signal out to my upstairs speakers? via what kind of connection? Also I am looking at this pre/pro to get me buy untill sherwoods new model comes out, will the new model have firewire for dvd audio Jeff? And a dedicated zone two. Thanks for the help.

Lance

^

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
The signal to your upstairs speakers would be via left and right line level cables from standard RCA jacks on the pre/pro.
As to the new model, there are some details on our web site: http://www.sherwoodusa.com/2002produ...HTML/P958.html
For DVD-A and SACD we have extended bandwidth to 200 kHz and will have bass management on the 7.1 direct input. However, the proposed firewire connection is too new to make it to the product.
Jeff Hipps

RobG

Stunt Coordinator
Philip, got mine yesterday. Wow, what a difference between 50wpc and 120. It sounds fuller and has no signs of straining at louder volumes and demanding scenes. I ran some scenes without than hooked it up and ran the same scenes and there is a noticeable improvement. I went out and bought cables not knowing the amp came with them, a nice touch. Gotta say a great improvement for less than 400.00.

Jeff Hipps, is there some type of break-in period needed with the amp? The manual did not mention anything like that but I was curious. Thanks.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
I think every amp benefits from some break in. The AM-9080 should be no exception. As to how long, I really don't know. I would expect small improvements for the first 20 hours or so.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks