Sherwood 9800 owners - let's have those tips please.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Despite the fact that I'm extremely happy with my Onkyo TX-SV919THX receiver / ED-901 DD decoder / Millenium 2.4.6 DTS decoder combo, I've decided to "upgrade" to the Sherwood AVP-9080 preamp / AVD9080 power amp combo. I admit that my descision is largely based on the financial aspect of getting $2400 worth of entry-level separates for under $1000. I like bargains.
    I've been reading reviews and have some serious concerns with this preamp. Namely:
    No auto-switching from the digital sources. What the hell is up with this?!?! If the pre/pro is getting a DD signal, play DD. If it's getting a DTS signal, play DTS. Hell, even my clunky external decoder setup can figure this out. Is it a big PITA? How about when listening to a DTS DVD movie? I want the transitions between the DD menus and the DTS movie to be seamless, dammit! How stupid. Well, it shouldn't be a problem because I'll most likely use the 5.1 inputs for all my 5.1 DVD listening, switching to the receiver only for prologic. Too bad I won't get prologic for menus. Minor nit. That is of course unless the decoders and DACs in the Sherwood sound noticably better than my Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player. This I doubt.
    It's more of a pain for my LDs, I'd really like auto switching there. If there's a DD or DTS signal, just freeking play it! Otherwise, check for a PCM signal and default to my last used surround mode. Last resort - analog.
    Kind of a head scratcher, but I think it will still be easier to deal with than my external decoders and the quirky video switching that I have now.
    How about the Remote control? Is it as bad as I think it's going to be? I mean, no separate menu and transport buttons? Who are they kidding? I'm going to read the reviews on Remote Central but my initial idea of this remote is get the advanced codes for my trusty dusty OneForAll Producer8 and ditch it. [​IMG]
    I'm planning on using a Y-adapter for two digital coax sources (LD and MD). Shouldn't be a problem as long as power is only switche on for one component at a time. I sure hope the DAC in this bad boy is as good as the one in my Onkyo (should be).
    I hope my stand is strong enough to handle the amp!!! [​IMG] It has no problem with the 50lb+ 919 so I don't think it will be a problem. If you look at my outdated pics on my site, I'm planning on putting the new Sherwood where my current Onkyo is and putting the amplifier on the top shelf above everything else for heat dissipation. All speakers will be set to large in all modes and my ICBM (which I absolutely love) will be betweenthe pre/pro and the amp.
    I'd love to hear any more updates from any of you owners with hints as to how I can maximize this fine piece. Can I set "analog direct" to work ALL THE TIME ON EVERY INPUT? [​IMG] That's what I want to do. And I wonder does ANALOG DIRECT work for the tape outs as well as the preamp out?

2. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

I can't tell you about it yet, but if you hurry and I mean like right now, Ubid has the am9080 amp and you can get in for 349.00. But hurry..............

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

"PH of Centreville VA" is me. [​IMG] I assume you're "RG of Dixon, CA". Maybe I shouldn't have posted here till the aucion ended. [​IMG]

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Too bad shipping's going to be $80 for UPS ground.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Phillip,
    I've owned both the Sherwood 9080 and HK Signature 2.0 prepros. The Sherwood has a better analog bypass section and built-in demod for LD, but the HK wins with:
    - auto detect of dts, ac3, dpl
    - better DSPs
    - more digital inputs
    - more flexible setups and menus
    - DC trigger
    - looks better [​IMG]
    You should also consider the HK Signature 2.1 amp.
    You should also consider an Onkyo 898 for $1000. You can always add a 2 or 3 channel amp later.....
    Ricky

6. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

Yep, thats me. The shipping is a rip for sure. Should be closing soon so we'll see.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

8. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

Hey Philip, I just got an e-mail confirming my successful bid and the shipping was 39.69. Heck of a lot better than the 80.00 originally anticipated.

9. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Phillip,
    I have also owned other prepros (Angstrom 200/205 ddd/dts $6k retail, adcom gtp600 dpl, citation 7.0 dpl), several decoders (denon avd2000, sony ep9es, technics 500, sony sdp-e800), and receivers (hk avr55, nak av10). I currently have the Onkyo 989 and two citation 5.1 amps (for my front 3 speakers). Wanna buy my Onkyo if I get a lexicon [​IMG]
    Congrats on the sherwood amp....since ubid listed the weight as 30 lbs (not 70), isn't the ground shipping $10 plus $30 = $40? And not $80?
    I think today's receivers above $1500 retail, like the Onkyo 898 or Sony DA5ES have prepro sections just as good as yesterday's $1-3k prepros, the upcoming outlaw 950, and better than the classic ac3 decoders. And don't underestimate DPL2 (with full adjustments) for all 2 channel sources. However, I agree, the sherwood fits your needs much better than the Sig 2.0. And at ~ $400 (there's a sealed unit on ebay now with 1 year warranty and buy-it-now for $369), you probably don't need the extra and latest features from spending the extra $500-600 on a receiver. You might want to consider the Marantz AV9000 and Sony 9000 5.1 prepros with ac3 demod....and of course, auto detect.....
    Ricky

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

11. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Besides hating the remote, you'll also hate the crossover. 120hz! You'll need the Outlaw ICBM. But for what you paid for it, the combo will still be a good buy. Too bad the Outlaw isn't a little more transparent.

12. KevinYS

KevinYS Extra

The crossover for AVP9080 is 80Hz not 120Hz.
    AVP9080 do have a switched 110VAC outlet in the back, and to connect the external amp, just plug in a wallwart of the correct output voltage into that outlet, and connect the output to the amp.
    Enjoy.
    Kevin[​IMG]

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

So many comments, so little time...

First, if you want DD, you push the DD button. If you want DTS, you push the DTS button. The buttons are on both the faceplate and the remote. DVD menus are usually audible without selecting either so no button push is necessary until you select the movie mode and push play. My goodness, how lazy can we be to complain about pushing one button...

Second, yes, always look at the listed, not actual, shipping weight to estimate shipping cost on Ubid. Because of their methodology for figuring shipping &H costs, sometimes they will list weights lower than actual to be fair.

Finally, I've owned this preamp several times now and it is a clean, simple and now, extremely inexpensive DD/DTS preamp/pro. All I can say is buy it... you'll like it.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

16. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Phil: I understand your frustration but this IS a dated preamp/processor selling at less than $400. In real use, unless you are a DTS fanatic, you can just press DD once as you set up the unit and then it will default to DD every time you select DVD as your input. Since not many of our familes or friends are DTS fanatics, they will not need to push any additional buttons at all and no additional instructions nor explanations are necessary. That way, YOU will only have to push the DTS button in those rare instances that you want to watch a movie in DTS.

Also, if I am not mistaken, if you bought the AM-9080 amp too, you can just use the "Digi'Link Remote Power on Feature and Cable" to auto power on the amp when the pre/pro is turned on. Take a look at the back panels of both the amp and the pre/pro and you would run the supplied cable(comes with the amp)from the green outlet of the pre/pro to the green input on the amp. So, you do not need to buy a power wart at all and can use the power outlet on the back of the pre/pro to auto power on your DVD or CD player.

17. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

I got one of these from Ubid also. It took forever.

I won the bid at $349 12/21 and it was not shipped until the 31st. Holidays shomalidays, 10 days is a long delay. It took another 6 days to arrive by stagecoach,er, ah I mean ground UPS ($35 shipping to NJ).

Can't say a whole lot about it yet, though. I also got a new PAn91 and that makes it a little more complicated to judge audio (my most important criteria. I'll likely wind up hooking up as A/B switch so I can listen to other preamp and phono pre-amp, but sound quality of the Sherwood does seem pretty good. Like John says, hitting the SS/DTS button is no big deal for me, but since the Pan91 is my first DVD player (no I'm not 12 yrs old, just a late adaptor), it's not a big something that I was used to.

I have some Outlaw cables on order, and will then be able to try the direct 6 channel iputs with DVD-A (oh yeah, I better pick up a couple of DVD-A discs.).

Here's a question though.

The manual states that using the 6 channel direct inputs bypasses the gain stage of the preamp. Does using the tone direct button accomplish the same thing with the other 2 channel analog channels?

Also, any idea if my Pan92 will output 2channel stereo to the front outputs of the 6 channel analog direct? that way I could hook the pans 6 channel to one pre, and the analog stereo to another pre.

18. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

My wife uses the HT system almost as much as I do. And we watch PPV and premium channels on Direct TV; so our surfing and watching makes my DSS receiver output alternating 2.0 and AC3 signals many times a day (depending on the channel)....which can be very annoying without auto-detect. If this drives you crazy, you can always sell the Sherwood at little financial loss and get something else.

19. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I just can't remember if this is true, but if I remember correctly and if the AVP-9080r works like the R-956 receiver, you only have to select DD and it will switch between DD and DPL depending upon the signal it receives. It does not switch between DD and DTS though. That requires a button push. For example, if it works the same as the Newcastle R-956 receiver, you set up the unit so that it defaults to DD when you select the DVD input (or in Ricky's case the TV input) then it automatically will switch, and you can see the LCDs change from DPL to DD, when the DVD goes from the menuing track(DPL)to the movie itself(DD). I hope I'm right on this... maybe someone could test it for us?

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

John,

That's not so bad, I hope it works like that. If I only have to hit a button for DTS I think I can handle that.