What's new

Sharp Z10000U Best DLP FP < $8K? (1 Viewer)

SteveRB

Auditioning
Ok, need some real help here.

These are my specs
1) I ONLY watch DVDs.. no tv. no sports.. nada.. just movies
2) I have films from 1893 to 2003, so pretty much spread evenly among full frame (4:3) and widescreen (16:9). Burn in is a definite concern for me.
3) I have PAL and NTSC dvds
4) I have an "eagle" eye. Very particular when it comes to crispness and colors.. I have a sony 32" XBR that I calibrate on a regular basis, to give you an idea.
5) I have a 13' x 16' dedicated room for a front projection with no windows. 100% darkness
6) I would like a large picture (e.g. 100"), but am willing to go as low as 70" if it means a sharper picture
7) I am very sensitive to "true darks". Probably need a contrast ratio of about at least 2500:1.
8) I will eventually get a high grade silver screen (e.g. greyhawk).
9) I max out financially at $8,000.
10) Ideally, I would like to be able to switch between video settings for multiple inputs (2 DVDs, maybe a PC)...but not a drop dead requirement.

After looking and demo'ng LCDs (can't handle the low contrast ratio), eliminating CRTs and RPTV (burn-in in issue as well as screen size), I came down to FP DLPs.

I saw the Sharp Z10000U demo'd and was VERY impressed. While it lists for $12k, it regularly goes for $7.4k online at lots of places.

1) what do people think of the sharp DLP? any problems I should be aware of?
2) Is there anything else in this league for under $8k?
3) I keep hearing rumors about "breakthrough DLP technology" coming in sept '03 but can't find any details... Anybody have info on this that might affect my decision?

thank you.

Michael FF

Stunt Coordinator
I very much enjoy my SharpVisionZ9000 and throw an image on a 100" screen. I, like you, am almost (hell, actually) obsessed with image quality, especially acuity of focus. I find that when projecting any dvd's of a poorer image quality, I use the handy zoom control to decrease image size and maximize sharpness of focus.
I also project Directv satellite tv thru my Sharp--recently I added their HDTV package--talk about color rendition and acuity of focus, it is truly awesome!!!! If you are going to have HDTV one day, opt for the 100" screen and, if you desire, project your dvd's using a zoomed down image.
Hope this info helps. :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Sharp 10000U projects a great image. The contrast ratio is definitely up there. It is one in a series of last years HD2 projectors. I would wait to see what happens in the next couple of months because the next batch of projectors will be announced.

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, just a couple suggestions for DLP's in your price range. Since you are only interested in DVD viewing the new Mattahorn chip may be your best choice. It's a native 16:9 chip I think 1024x576 (not 100% on this) Never-the-less perfect for DVD's.

Infocus 5700 lists for appr. $5000 and has received high marks. Also a Runco model 510 (I believe) lists for $6000. Both of these models use DCDi de-interlacing which is said to be the best. If I were in the market, these would be the two I would look at first.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I second Mike's recommendation on the Infocus 5700. It has a fantastic image and is super bright. It has a 6 color wheel that is 5x on the speed.

I would save the extra bucks by getting the 5700 and buy about $2,000 worth of DVDs.

Parker

Doug E

Grip
2) I have films from 1893 to 2003, so pretty much spread evenly among full frame (4:3) and widescreen (16:9). Burn in is a definite concern for me.
NEC HT1000 would be perfect for both 4:3 and 16:9. It also has great contrast and color saturation. There is also a rebate available until the end of Sept., so the price is right too.

SteveRB

Auditioning
THanks, but I have read that the HT1000 needs at least a 9 foot ceiling.. and mine is only 8.5'.....

looked at the runco series (CL510, 710)... looks nice, but surprised at the low contrast ratio (1800:1).

I dunno... the sharp still looks pretty good.....contrast ratio of 2600:1.......

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
One thing I have learned is the advertised numbers/specs mean nothing. There are projectors that look poor when compared to others but their projected image requires less calibration out of the box while other projectors have superior numbers but by the time they are calibrated look worse.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
CEDIA is at the end of the week. There should be a slew of new projector announcements, including the replacement for the Sharp 10000. There should be some HD2's announced in the $6k - $8k list range. At any rate, there will be a lot more contenders for you dollar under $8k real soon between the newly announced projectors and the dropping prices on the older ones.

SteveRB

Auditioning
btw, my ceiling is really 9'! wahoo..

did a lot of research, definitely want a 4:3 screen and a native 4:3 projector (if possible). Hope the follow on product for the NEC HT1000 is still 4:3....

Richard Mass

Agent
I am planning on buying a Sharp Z10000 in a few weeks to see if the price declines after CEDIA. I noticed the last post on ceiling height. Can I use the Z10000 with a 8 to 8.5 foot ceiling and a 100" diagonal screen?

james.norris

Auditioning
Where did you read that the HT1000 needs 9' ceilings... Haven't seen that anywhere... Was considering one for my HT... The projector people recommended the Mitsubishi XD300U which seemed to be a grat deal considering it's long lamp life.

SteveRB

Auditioning
actually, can't remember where I saw the height restriction.. was on a site that discussed installation of front projectors.. tried to put the link in this forum when I found it, but the system "slapped" my hand saying I couldn't put in URLs in my post.

I think the problem is that the HT1000 needs almost 9" of clearing space. If you have a 8' high room, then it would be only a little over 7' right under the projector.. not a lot of headroom...

SteveRB

Auditioning
ok... remember that the problem is not with bumping into the unit (though still maybe a valid concern for tall people)... the real issue is that the HT1000 throws the image at a down angle.... if it is mounted too low (e.g. under 9') then you have to adjust the unit manually to show upwards which slightly distorts the picture.

I would think this problem is not unique to the HT1000.. Every unit would have its optimal throw distance/height requirements.

btw. i can't find any info on the Z12000U anywhere...

james.norris

Auditioning
Steve,

Thanks or the info... My ceilings are only 8' so now I'm not sure what projector I'm going to purchase. I really was considering the HT1000 since it seemed like the best out there right now in my price range.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks