What's new

"Shaolin Soccer" -- soccer via "The Matrix" (1 Viewer)

Brad_V

Second Unit
You know, I always wondered when someone was going to use "bullet-time" technology for something really worthwhile....

But, until that happens, there's "Shaolin Soccer." Being in the U.S., this is the first I've heard of the movie, even though it's been available through Asian distributors for awhile now. I guess Miramax plans to release it in U.S. theaters (or at least to video stores) next spring.

Stephen Chow(?) is a kung-fu comedy guy, and he wrote and stars in the movie. Pulled-off-the-street soccer players who learn the ancient ways and powers of the Shaolin monks/priests to defeat an evil team-owner and win a soccer championship. Plenty of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-type flying, soccer balls kicked so hard they develop flames behind them and create whirlwinds on the ground, etc.

I just finished watching it without subtitles, and even not understanding half of what was going on it was still funny. The Bruce Lee-ish goalie is great stuff.

Just thought I'd post a heads-up for anyone who likes this kind of off-the-wall stuff and hadn't heard of it before. It's definitely... different. And fun.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What is the best way to buy the original version with subtitles? The US theatrical version is going to be edited...

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Out of stock at HKFlix and TektickerDVD, unfortunately, and seems unlikely to return anytime soon. The currently available DVD is really great.
I wrote a review a while ago at http://dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=3007 . I apologize in advance for the low quality of the review, but it's positive, at least...

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
This movie is absolutely insane. It makes no bloody sense whatsoever, and yet is so funny and so wild that you swear the Soccer Balls were made by Acme. :) Nothing really much happens in the film aside from a few kung-fu soccer games, and the visual effects range from good to downright awful (some of the worst I've seen in a major-budget film in over ten years), but really, how can anyone resist this movie? Insane, I tells ya! :)
I viewed a similar DVD to what Adam has, but it doesn't have DTS, but a Mandarain 5.1 and a Cantonese 5.1, and very poor english subtities. If Miramax ever did a theatrical issue of this stateside, it would most likely be dubbed and cut to pieces.
Jason

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
"Out of stock" means muscled by Disney. Hivizone wont sell you this film as they wont sell you any film that Miramax now has the rights to. They also list Legend of Zu as in stock and won't sell it.

Brad_V

Second Unit
check out dddhouse.com . They have the VCD version for six bucks and the DVD version for 10 bucks.

Adnan Sheikh

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the region-free version from yesasia.com but I think it's out of print now. It's got both DD and DTS. I was pretty surprised at the quality of both video and audio; I guess I was expecting something cheap and more VCD-ish.

This is one fun movie...really great. I would say the Matrix stuff is pretty minimal (even a little distracting), but there's so much funny and impressive action that you quickly forget about it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Shaolin Soccer is NOT OOP. DDDHouse.com lists it as in-stock right now, and doesn't appear to be stopping it anytime soon

The official DVD is R0 and contains DD/DTS Cantonese tracks and English subs.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If your version has no subs, it's a bootleg

If it's in a digipack (cardboard) case, it's a bootleg

It should say "Universe Laser & Video" as the distributor.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
According to AICN, they removed the oh-so-not essential to understanding the character relationship prologue, and the cool credits

WHY!!!???????????????????????????????/

And of course they dubbed it and won't include the Cantonese on the DVD

Screw you Miramax, I have the HK DVD _I_

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hehe, i wonder how it would be like to step into your guys' shoes and watch this movie without understanding Cantonese :laugh:
I know chinese, so i understood it (though im so americanized i read the subtitles to fully understand it).
Great movie though :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Jason: :laugh: trust me, if you heard me speaking, you would never guess im chinese :D

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
"Out of stock" means muscled by Disney. Hivizone wont sell you this film as they wont sell you any film that Miramax now has the rights to. They also list Legend of Zu as in stock and won't sell it.
That only affects North American retailers. Asian retailers can do what they want with it. I just got mine from DDD House a week ago.

For $10 it's worth buying this one sight-unseen.

Weird though, that Harvey Scissorhands is cutting out the beginning locker-room sequence. Wasn't that the basis for half of the story??

Jeff

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
That small cut changes the character arc of the coach. The story is just as much about his redemption as it is about mixing kung fu and soccer. This will also affect how his relationship with the coach of the Evil Team is perceived.

Please don't look for logic when trying to figure out cuts made by Disney.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks