What's new

Setup Question...Longer Speaker Cables or ICs? (1 Viewer)

Eric A

Second Unit
I posted this over at AVS to minimal response. I am oping to get more opinions here.

Okay first of all, here is what I am running:

Pioneer 56TXi>Adcom 5503>JM Lab Electra 926s and CC901.

These will be connected with Onix SP200 speaker cable and Blue Jeans Standard Interconnects nonbalanced.

Here is my question. I have the opportunity to run this system one of two ways. I can place my amp in the equipment closet and connect it with 3ft interconnects and then run 22ft of speaker cable to each speaker. Or I can place the amp in the front of the room and run 20ft interconnects to it and then run 6ft or less speaker cables to the speakers. Which is preferrable? Money is not an issue as I already have all the necessary cables and lengths. I just want to make sure on which way is the best sonically as I do not want to have to pull these wires more than a few times. Thanks for the help.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as your wire is of sufficient ga. for the impedance of speaker you are running, and you aren't running them parallel with power wires, the easiest way would seem to be to run longer wires rather than ICs.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Theoretically, long signal runs are supposed to be better than long speaker cables, but practically speaking I doubt you’d be able to tell the difference one way or the other. Especially the distance you’re talking about here – 22 ft. isn’t terribly long for either signal or speaker cable.

Personally I prefer to have all the equipment together, but that’s just me.

Which raises another issue: Putting equipment at different places around the room will probably put them on different circuits (unless you already have dedicated circuits run). Sometimes this can cause ground loops.

Since you have all the necessary cabling, it would be easy for you to try it both ways and draw your own conclusions.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks