What's new

Seti@home pt. 2 (2 Viewers)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Wow, this is incredible! For quite a few months we had less than 20 members. I don't recall who started the second push to enlist members, but it put us over the top! Now we need a third membership drive to give us 200+ users...
Congratulations to everyone involved!

Chris White

Second Unit
Ranking Update!
Seti Club Teams: #86
All Seti Teams: #195
Despite our quick ascent in the all team rankings, I expect progress to be relatively slow as we're competing against some very large organizations including many universities. Still, our rapid rise in the rankings of both groups has been most impressive.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
"I don't recall who started the second push to enlist members..."
Dennis, I don't recall either, but some months back I started a nice push that resulted in 20 or so members. :)
We need another, but I'd like to see something with a lot more visibility. If one of the admins. (Chris!/Mike!) would get with this...something with a BANNER in the Forum Announcements area could be pretty effective. There may be some downside that I'm not foreseeing, but it seems to me we've been a longstanding, troublefree group. Our little efforts here only add to the image of HTF.
What do you think?

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Good point Jim! Now that I think about it, members have been added in several "waves." We need a tsunami to really push us up the charts (sorry, terrible pun!)

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
Most likely, that work unit had a known noise source that was drowning out any possibility of detecting a signal. After a few minutes, SETI decided that it couldn't work with the funky signal and went to go get another one. It happens from time to time.
You still get credit for the work unit!
------------------
"Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends, tell me where to get more wax!"

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
There's new v3.0 client software available. The website has all the details: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/download.html
In particular, the new software is going to affect the stats because it is doing more work and therefore may take longer to complete a work unit. On the other hand, the website says there will be much more variation in completion time for each work unit, which could mean that some work units will be completed faster compared to the previous software.
I've downloaded the new command line version on my home computer, which processes work units only part time. In verbose mode I can see that, as the website says, it crunches its FFTs much faster than before. Predicting completion time is difficult, however. In about an hour it completed 20%, but during the next half hour it progressed only 5% more.
So, should we upgrade to the new client or should we stick to the old version? Here's what I think: Sure we're having fun climbing the Top 200 list, but the point of all this is that we're looking for E.T. It doesn't matter that the new software is slower.
Eventually new work units will be tagged to require version 3.0, so everyone will have to upgrade by then.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
From what I have heard is this. They are going to stop accepting WU's from the 2.x version a lot faster then they have before. So this means if you don't upgrade soon, it won't take your work.
------------------
Jeff Blair
"Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is important
to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel."
Homer J. Simpson

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Well, I finally got around to uploading the units, and have hit the 1K mark. That took a while! I don't have the 'slave labor' that the rest of the gang has...
I am also running the latest version of the command processor. It seems to run a little faster on my computers than the older one - by about a minute or so for now. But that could just be the most recent batch of work units.
Mike

Chris White

Second Unit
Ranking Update!
All Seti Teams: #193
Welcome aboard Scott and thanks for your adding your units to the mighty HTF Seti Club juggernaut! Congratulations on joining the 1000 unit club Mike! On the personal-accomplishment front, I'm pleased to announce that I've joined the 2000 unit club. The HTF Seti Club now has 10 members with 2000 or more units, 26 members with 1000 or more units, and 41 members with 500 or more units. One of the real strengths of our club is its depth. Most clubs with as many units as we have, have either twice as many members or have two or three members with the majority of the total units.
------------------

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
hmm, is it just me or is the new clien noticeably faster
I'm noticing like times that are 20% faster
Usually it would take a day to get a unit done but now I'm getting a couple.
I'd suggest upgrading to everyone who hasn't done it yet
------------------
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

Chris White

Second Unit
Woo-hoo -- back up to #9!! I believe I shall celebrate with a lovely adult beverage!
Mark - you may be right, but according to the Seti site, the new 3.0 will show much greater variance in time needed to complete units but it isn't any faster. If you use a program like Seti Monitor or Seti Spy, you can track you average completion times and see if it changes after a few dozen more units.
------------------

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
It sure is gonna take me a while to upgrade all my slaves.
frown.gif

------------------
I did nothing...I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be..

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Chris,
I know what you mean. I have about 20 computers to upgrade. You know what I am doing when I get to work.
wink.gif

------------------
Jeff Blair
It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!

Jay Sulzberg

Auditioning
Hello guys, What did I just do? Oh nothing, just brought 772 units to the group.
tongue.gif

I have ten pc's at Sight & Sounds ranging from P166 laptop's to PIII,600mhz NT workstations. My personal pc's are a 700mhz Athlon and a 233mhz Pentium. All hooked up to DSL all the time.
I would love to know how some of you are doing ten to twenty units a day. Is this on Windows machines or UNIX or what?
Right now with v3.00, my Athlon will do a unit is about seven hours. Is this good, or average?
Anyway, happy to join the collective,
Dr Plaid

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Jay,
How I do the 20 or so a day is this. I have bout 20 "slaves" working 24/7. They are all PIII 500+ Not a bad way of doing this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks