What's new

"Session 9" - anyone else see it? (1 Viewer)

Just saw this last night and really enjoyed it. If comparisons must be made, "Blair Witch Project" is the closest with a dose of "The Shining" thrown in for good measure. Very slow, methodical suspense build to a wild conclusion. Well acted and I must admit I'm a David Caruso fan (despite BAD career choice and off-screen rep). Check it out!

One question, though:

If Mike murdered his wife and baby, as we are led to believe, how is he able to go to work like normal for a week without anyone even questioning him or knowing they were dead?

Dan M

Second Unit
Any of you horror buffs out there (like myself) looking for a decent scare I heartily reccommend this title.

It's not the type of horror movie with mondo special effects just good ol' fashioned creepy sets and a genuine sense of dread throughout. A classic case where less is more.

The entire movie is shot on location in a real abandoned mental hospital in Massachusets. Very few sets were built and most of the 'props' are actual items left behind in the asylum. The place itself is enough to make this movie scary.

The disc itself has an decent 2:35.1 anamorphic transfer but only has 2.0 surround. There's an excellent behind the scenes documentary called "The Haunted Palace" as well as deleted scenes with commentary. There is an entire subplot that was removed from the movie and is revealed in the deleted footage. Good stuff.

Scary is subjective I guess but I thought this was one of the better horror films to come out in a long time.

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, I completely agree with you. I bought it on Sunday, knowing almost nothing about it - I hadn't bought a 'guess' movie for a while.

Session 9 was excellent. It seems so rare to find a 'horror' with the slow, dread-building pace.

I'm not saying it was perfect, but am I happy I bought it: YES

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
This was by far one of the better movies of 2001, and one of the scariest horrors films to come out in a while. Forget "The Others", if you're looking for a really spooky movie, check this one out.
Having watched the film, I think it would hold up to at least one more viewing so that you can try and catch a little bit more that you may have missed the first time around.
I would have bought this disc in a split-second if it wasn't for the fact that it was only presented in 2.0. Truthfully, this was probably what the movie needed most, as the sound design was really meant to put the surrounds to good use. :frowning:
If this ever gets the 5.1 treatment, it'll definitely be putting my grubby mitts on it. ;)
Concerning the movie, while it may be true that the end really isn't as good as what preceded, its still very disturbing overall. Man, what a climax!
A definite must-see.
:emoji_thumbsup:
Now go out and see this movie already!!

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Heh, well let me rephrase that.

If this movie ever gets the English 5.1 treatment, I'll definitely be putting my grubby mitts on it.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I rented "Session 9" over the weekend after reading this thread. I was very impressed with this movie.

As Dave Mack stated

if you dug "The Shining", the original "Haunting" and "The Changeling" I think it would be up your alley!
This movie was very creepy and scary. I have already recommended this to my friends and family.

Dan M

Second Unit
If this movie ever gets the English 5.1 treatment, I'll definitely be putting my grubby mitts on it.
I wouldn't hold off on adding this to your collection because of the lack of 5.1 audio.
The transfer and extras alone make up for it!
Actually, the 2.0 track was still quite impressive (especially if you have Dolby ProLogic II.
;)
Session 9 is primarily a dialogue driven movie with just enough sound effects to add to the ambience. The score is very effective. Very bleak and foreboding.
5.1 would obviously be better but don't pass up on one of the few 'better' horror movies to come along in a while!

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Since most venues won't have the "Digital Projection" system that Lucas wants to use to show it, how is it gonna look when transferred to Film????
I don't think this is really gonna be an issue anyhow. I mean, the WHOLE movie will be edited digitally in Post. You have to with that many visual effects shots.

Back to the topic. Yeah, I really liked this movie and was disappointed about not getting to see it in the theaters. Oh, well. At least I have the DVD.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Picked this up yesterday. A very, very good horror film. I highly recommend it.

I loved The Others, but Session 9 was much better.

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
I bought this movie last week based on "word of mouth". I was pleasantly surprised. It exceeded my expectations. It was very eerie and the suspense built up as the movie went on. Sit back with some popcorn and enjoy. I highly recommend it.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
True, it will be edited digitally, but the actual "photography" in a normal Film, actors, etc... looks different when shot on Film. The contrast ratio of Film and this new 24FPS is different with Film still having the edge, 4,000 to 1 or so I believe I read and this video format being like 2,000 to 1.
Just wondering how it's gonna look, that's all. I think "Session 9" looks great but a bit different than Film and they used the same camera Lucas is using. Granted the budgets are night and Day different and Post etc...
:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks