What's new

Serenity (2005) (1 Viewer)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I'm guessing you haven't seen much beyond the second season of Buffy. Not that it doesn't owe a debt to X-Files because there are definitely some similar elements but starting with the latter half of Buffy's second season, the show's formula is completely unlike X-Files since Buffy mixes its "mythology" in with the standalones. Buffy is a much more cohesive, serialized, and character focused experience than X-Files ever was. X-Files was about plot far more than character and Buffy was completely the opposite- the storyarcs were no great shakes and often throwaway but the character arcs were what made the show shine.

FWIW, I am not trying to "convert" you or even trying to get you to give the show another try. I just think you are off base on this comparison. I say that as a huge fan of both X-Files and Buffy.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I love Joss's output as much as anyone but I think you are far, far overestimating the fan base here.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I just think you are off base on this comparison.
Well, you would obviously know better than I would...I am just going off what I have come accross in syndication. Bottom line is there would have been no Buffy series if not for the X-Files, and from what I saw...it just borrowed too heavily...but in a teeny bopper sort of way. None of the handful of episodes I have seen did anything for me. Also, I found the cast to be annoying especially Gellar. Just not my cup of tea, but glad I got opened up to Firefly....which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I love Joss's output as much as anyone but I think you are far, far overestimating the fan base here.
well, I'm not saying in any way it's going to make $600 million, or even $100. But I think if this second weekend holds on to a great % of the first weekend, that recouping it's budget could be very likely, considering I know a lot of people who plan to see Serenity again and those who were waiting to see it.

It cost $40 million, if the second weekend holds on strongly, there's a good chance the movie has to at least break even. 40 Year Old Virgin opened with $20 million or so and good word of mouth has caused it to surpass $100 million.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Well, you would obviously know better than I would...I am just going off what I have come accross in syndication. Bottom line is there would have been no Buffy series if not for the X-Files, and from what I saw...it just borrowed too heavily...but in a teeny bopper sort of way. None of the handful of episodes I have seen did anything for me. Also, I found the cast to be annoying especially Gellar. Just not my cup of tea, but glad I got opened up to Firefly....which is what this thread is supposed to be about.
actually, the original Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie opened in 1992, a year before The X-Files premiered.

I am a fan of both shows, but I agree with Kevin Grey, they have nothing in common except they are both hour-long shows that proved the loyalty and importance of the internet when it comes to shows.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
actually, the original Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie opened in 1992, a year before The X-Files premiered.
Yes, I know...and of course the movie was a failed comedy that resembles nothing of what the show would become. It was only re-invented as a series after the X-Files became a success. If you actually read what Kevin wrote, he said that there were "definitely some similar elements" and never said they had nothing in common. Any Buffy fan that doesn't acknowledge the X-Files influence is kidding themselves.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Any Buffy fan that doesn't acknowledge the X-Files influence is kidding themselves.
I actually like X-Files too, hence "I am a fan of both shows". But while I see a lot of shows on television that are definately X-Files influenced, Supernatural being a prevalent one that really reminds me of the early X-Files episodes, yet I don't think Buffy was at all an "X-Files poseur" like you claim. The mood and structure of the two shows were so completely different that it's like saying Six Feet Under and CSI are similar because both are hour long series.

I have actually heard the Dark Shadows comparison before (which makes more sense, because DS was about vampires), but never The X-Files. The ONLY season that can be compared are the Riley/Initiative "government conspiracy" episodes that were in season 4, those were very X-Filesy and they were also some of the most lambasted episodes in the entire series while Riley generally makes most "least favorite character" lists.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Well, I'm certainly not going to get into an argument about a show I don't care about. Although I stand by my comments, I also respect yours as a fan of the show. This thread is supposed to be about Serenity/Firefly.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I think Tom's right when he says that without X-Files we wouldn't have Buffy (yes I know the Buffy movie predates the X-Files). I think the success of X-Files opened up the door for more genre shows on network TV and saw a lot of networks trying to emulate its success (remember Baywatch Nights?). While I don't think Whedon was necessarilly very inspired by X-Files I do think that it played a role to the WB in greenlighting Buffy.

And I think early Buffy has some strong structural similarities to the standard X-Files Monster of the Week. But while X-Files maintained that structure throughout its run, Buffy deviated within a season. One of the more unique structural hallmarks of Buffy is that each season is essentially one self contained arc. There is no overall mystery or story like in X-Files- each season introduces a new antagonist (the big bad) and sees the antagonist dispatched in the season finale.

First season of Angel sees even more X-Files similarities but once again would soon completely deviate into its own creature.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
if the second weekend holds on strongly, there's a good chance the movie has to at least break even.
I'd LOVE for that to happen but it's not at all realistic. Again, this movie has yet to make anywhere NEAR as much as it's first Friday. Hell, it's barely making as much as it's first TUESDAY. Theaters are pulling screens quickly. It was DOA, basically. It failed as a TV series, yes, partially because Fox fucked it over, but mostly because people just didn't want to watch it. And most people don't seem to want to watch Serenity, great reviews or not. I'm happy as hell that we got a movie in the first place ,and even happier that it's really damn good. But there's not going to be a 2nd weekend. The fans aren't as big a base as they've convinced themselves they are. And it's going to hit DVD by Christmas, and it MIGHT, if it's lucky, have a future as DTV sequels, something Universal seems to be pursuing rather heavily. But it's not going to be a success. It's going to end up with Land of the Dead results: Nice critical acclaim, bad box office, huge geek cache. That's not a bad thing.

What's funny is around the internet, I'm seeing people compare the hit to their fandom as an ironic little juxtaposition to Mal Reynold's predicament as a soldier in the battle of Serenity Valley. This is the "browncoats" Serenity Valley. it's an noble position. but in the end, they lose.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I saw Serenity for the second time tonight. Fairly decent turnout - more than half the theater was full. Half the audience was comprised of women. A small number of kids too - these kids must have been as smart as their parents because there was no kiddie noises throughout.
The entire audience was quite respectful - all fans of the TV show? Or maybe the movie was so compelling they paid a great deal of attention to it. :)
Considering that Calgary supposedly has one of the highest concentrations of engineers in North America, maybe this was to be expected!
And I found it better the second time around - the sound wasn't overcooked, and in fact I found the soundtrack presentation nearly perfect. A lot of laughter in the right spots, unlike my first showing, where a lot of people had trouble hearing the dialog.
This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite SF movies of the last few years...

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you--I liked it more the 2nd time, too. 3rd viewing is going to be dedicated to really noticing the little easter eggs and in-jokes and references hidden within. I know I missed a bunch.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
To: spencejt
Subject: Theater Counts, October 7
Date: 6 Oct 2005 16:22:03 -0700
Received: from massmail2.forethought.net ([216.241.39.97]) by mc5-f28.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:22:02 -0700
-------------------------
BOX OFFICE MOJO
THEATER COUNTS REPORT
PREPARED FOR: [email protected]
OCTOBER 7
Title (Distributor) / Theater Count (Change) / Week #
NEW
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (DreamWorks) / 3,645
In Her Shoes (Fox) / 2,808
Two for the Money (Universal) / 2,388
Waiting (Lions Gate) / 1,652
The Gospel (Sony / Screen Gems) / 969
Good Night and Good Luck (Warner Independent) / 11
The Squid and the Whale (IDP) / 4
The Confederate States of America (IFC) / 2
EXPANDING
Serenity (Universal) / 2,189 (+1) / 2
The Greatest Game Ever Played (Buena Vista) / 1,810 (+796) / 2
Proof (Miramax) / 517 (+277) / 4
War of the Worlds (Paramount) / 245 (+172) / 15
Everything Is Illuminated (Warner Independent) / 85 (+25) / 4
Separate Lies (Fox Searchlight) / 59 (+34) / 4
Me and You and Everyone We Know (IFC) / 31 (+8) / 17
MirrorMask (IDP) / 24 (+6) / 2
The Edukators (IFC) / 10 (+7) / 12
NO CHANGE
Into the Blue (Sony) / 2,789 / 2
A History of Violence (New Line) / 1,340 / 3
Oliver Twist (Sony) / 779 / 3
Little Manhattan (Fox) / 2 / 2
DECLINING
Flightplan (Buena Vista) / 3,323 (-101) / 3
The Exorcism of Emily Rose (Sony / Screen Gems) / 1,827 (-1177) / 5
The 40-Year-Old Virgin (Universal) / 1,137 (-1015) / 8
Roll Bounce (Fox Searchlight) / 888 (-773) / 3
The Constant Gardener (Focus Features) / 469 (-535) / 6
An Unfinished Life (Miramax) / 428 (-377) / 5
Wedding Crashers (New Line) / 360 (-316) / 13
Transporter 2 (Fox) / 318 (-738) / 6
Cry Wolf (Rogue Pictures) / 258 (-780) / 4
The Skeleton Key (Universal) / 155 (-117) / 9
Four Brothers (Paramount) / 154 (-301) / 9
Broken Flowers (Focus Features) / 152 (-70) / 10
The Brothers Grimm (Dimension) / 103 (-264) / 7
The Man (New Line) / 58 (-176) / 5
The Thing About My Folks (Picturehouse) / 32 (-81) / 4
Mad Hot Ballroom (Paramount Classics) / 20 (-11) / 22
Underclassman (Miramax) / 16 (-48) / 6
The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D (Dimension) / 12 (-6) / 18
Hustle and Flow (Paramount Classics) / 9 (-13) / 12
The Baxter (IFC) / 7 (-3) / 7
The Great Raid (Miramax) / 6 (-41) / 9
Venom (Dimension) / 5 (-27) / 4
Apres Vous (Paramount Classics) / 3 (-3) / 19
Asylum (Paramount Classics) / 3 (-10) / 9
Daltry Calhoun (Miramax) / 1 (-1) / 3
ESTIMATES FOR OCTOBER 14
The Fog (Sony / Revolution) / 2,700+
Elizabethtown (Paramount) / 2,500
Domino (New Line) / 2,000
Separate Lies (Fox Searchlight) / 100
The full list of theater counts:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/
Test your predicting prowess in the Box Office Derby:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/games/
Configure your box office reports at:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/users/
So, positive numbers are better than negative eh? Of course it faces competition from Wallace & Gromit and the other one I can't recall.
Will it reach prior numbers, probably not. Am I hopefull that it will hold strong? HELL YES!
Nothing is over until WE say it is! My co-worker loaned out his Firefly disk to his brother who held viewing parties and now has twenty co-workers going to see Serenity this weekend!
I myself have purchased four tickets and have given them to neighbors. I've offered up a challenge to select co-workers to go and if they don't enjoy themselves, I'll pay them back for their tickets!
It's a fun movie, not great, but probably the best sci-fi adventure offering at least in the past year! I enjoyed it far better than anything Lucasfilm has released in the past decade.
I have faith in the fans, and in word of mouth. I have faith and hope that this movie will at least hold a place in the top four this weekend.
BROWNCOATS (and Joss Whedon fan boys) UNITE!
...am I crazy? Did I dream about a weekend with Inara and Kaylee?
HELL YEAH!
SEMPER FI! :)

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
I went to see "Serenity" last weekend knowing barely anything about "Firefly" and had a blast. Now I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the series.

But as I read through this thread, I wonder.. why make comparisons or slam "Star Wars" in the process of praising this film?

Let it stand on it's own merits. It doesn't have to be propped up by whatever opinions you have of another film.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Why not market the movie to people that haven't seen the show? said:
Is it possible that someone who just happened to like the movie and hasn't drunk the Joss kool-aid might see it again and/or mention it to their friends? I hope so.
Just to be clear: why do you seem satisfied that only Joss fans see this movie?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Saw it a second time today and aside from the bulb blowing mid-way through, it was an engaging experience. I was able to understand & enjoy more of the dialogue and get a better sense of the moral crisis that Mal was in; his loss of - or apparently erosion of - faith (or what the film calls "belief"). This film really held up. I mean I don't know that Joss could write another film that would have both such a true moral plot going on inside the main character and simultaneously have a really big concept plot going on in the world (or "worlds" as the Operative noted) as he did here.

I am also more sure now that this film also serves as an introduction to the series as much as it serves as a mid-way bridge point for further adventures.

Whether this will go "Enterprise" and vanish for no good reason, or if it will continue in the form of a mini-series or movie, I don't know. But if it has to serve as a conclusion, it does the series proud.

The tv series ended on a strange point that let the characters remain true in our hearts and so does the film.

I'd like more adventures.

I want more River. She starts out as such an enigma, and now even at the end of the film we have yet to meet the her that is "ok". Definitely like the few moments of lucidity she has. And Mal found what he was looking for too. All around praise to this film.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I was just thinking about how geeky we are that we on this board (and other boards) are all doing mathematical projections of whether the film will manage to foster a sequel or not, and I am remembering Mal's final lines in the film, which he says to River.

I dont have the exact text, but he says all the math in the verse is secondary to a good pilot; it is love that keeps a ship aloft.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks