What's new

Sears would NOT price match (1 Viewer)

Doug_JC

Grip
I walked into Sears today with 3 internet prices for the Toshiba 50H81. Signs on every TV say "we will price match". SO I show my lower prices and also want my 10% off (credit card). First the salesman says we will not do a price match and also the 10% off, but will give me the best of the two. So I show my price for the 50H81 which is $2084 including shipping. The manager shows up and 3 of then are discussing it. Then they point me to a computer that has the Sears "approved" internet sites on it. Guess what the best price is, $2599, the same price as Sears. I told them to keep their 10% and walked out. I will never buy in Sears again because of the highly deceptive advertising.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would never buy any electronics at Sears anyway...
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Mike-H

Agent
I guess it depends on the store. I just price matched a Sony 32FV27 yesterday with no problems. They even price matched the stand, but I only saved about $10 on the stand.
The shipping for the TV on my printout was bogus, 30 something dollars, and they didn't question it. The web site I used says on another page to call for shipping prices on oversized items.
Mike
------------------

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
The approved internet retailers is a recent addition to the policy. It's on the Sears website under customer service. I'm guessing that they were getting repeatedly screwed by low internet pricing and decided to do something about it. It basically takes away the value, from our point of view, of the policy. As you point out, the approved websites have the same prices as Sears.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I know exactly how you feel. Sears is a bunch of fools. I went through the same thing. After I left the store I called CS and out of curiosity I asked them if they would price match (after being refused mind you) and sure enough the CSR says oh yea we price match. She then went on to say that she didn't know who refused my sale but I should go back and try again!
angry.gif

Rob

aeveritt

Agent
If it is indeed the case that Sears now has an "approved" list of internet sites that they will match it really doesn't surprise me. While I have some ideas as to why they price matched internet retailers in the first place I knew that they wouldn't be able to maintain such a policy long-term.
Of the many businesses that are on the internet the vast majority don't have the operating expenses that are associated with brick and mortar operations. In quite a number of cases, the really low price internet outfits can't even sustain themselves on the prices they are charging. The low-price internet sellers come and go as time passes and there almost always seems to be another one coming in to take the other one's place when it goes under. In other words, there seems to be a fairly constant flow of people willing to set up internet businesses that really don't have long-term viable operating models. From an academic perspective, the "barriers to entry" for the internet are lower which will mean the a larger proportion of the people starting businesses there will fail. Anyway, perhaps Sears is finally realizing that they can't compete long-term with the razor-thin or even non-existant margins some internet outfits are trying to operate with.
I'm not sure what Sears' "approved" internet sellers list for price matching looks like but I bet it primarily include businesses who have a similar "click and mortar" presences as they do. In the electronics side I would think that their list would include such businesses as Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
If Sears' price match policy included all internet stores then I could just start up my own internet electronics store, price everything (but not actually take orders or make sales) 75% lower than Sears and really take advantage of them. Having an approved list helps keep them in business.
But as mentioned before, I wouldn't buy my electronics from Sears.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I can't blame Sears for not allowing the pricematch. There are alot of shaddy internet stores out there that are A) not authorized sellers or B) do not have any actual product on hand. It makes sense that Sears makes sure they are pricematching with stores on the same playing field as they are for the consumers dollars.
If the internet price was so much cheaper why not just order it from them and have it delivered? I am guessing you won't because your new set will not have a valid warranty and if something is wrong with the set, you are shit out of luck. The internet is OK for buying smaller items but forlarge purchases you still cannot beat traditional retail for service and peace of mind. In my opinion it is worth bpaying a little extra just for that alone.
J

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
To the guy that stated he wouldn't buy his electronics from Sears, I don't know why? Any local small B&W you purchase from has no guarantee they will be open in a week, I would be the life of my family that sears is open in 20 years.
ANYWAY:
(Link removed by moderator. Wasn't working, and too long, messing up page format. Sorry.)
If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item currently available for sale and delivery in your area from an established online retailer, Sears will match that total price at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.
Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing online, email the information to [email protected].
[Edited last by Matty B on September 28, 2001 at 07:56 PM]
[Edited last by Mike Voigt on September 30, 2001 at 12:31 PM]

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem.. BUT THEN..
I went to another salesperson and asked if I could pricematch.. this one actually attempted to make a phone call and said he couldn't get through to the company..
HE said the policy was that they had to verify the price which means CALLING the online store, which means that YOU WON'T be able to price match the online store unless they are open.
Try going to Sears during the business times of the website, look for a 1-800 number and call the site, asked them if the item is re-furbished (Sears won't price match re-furbished items either) and that it is In Stock (another requirement)...
THAT is what a salesperson told me at Sears, and he told me that a lot of the salespeople will tell you that they can only pricematch from approved sites, but if you bug them enough they will give in, especially IF you KNOWM the policy.
Be persistent, show up around Noon on a weekday and see if it works out.. If they still tell you no, ask to see a manager, then ask to talk to a district manager, then if that doesn't work find some phone numbers and start making calls, it says all over the store that they price match from the internet... don't let them lie!
Worked for me, and I am enjoying a $500 peice of equipment for $419, without the hassle of buying online....

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I went thru this at Sears over a microwave...and it was about contradictions in their advertised sale price versus what was listed on the unit on the salesfloor! I HAMMERED away at the saledrone-ette and finally went thru 2 manager types..but got the price! PLUS...I got this rub off for extra money off thing from them in the mail and saved another $50.00! THEN...the following week they had a 10% off using a Sears card sale....and I got them to price protect me to boot!
Bottom line..be a prick!
------------------
"The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
David Manning-Critic
Scooter-Palooza 2..Be There or Be Square!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../030866.html#5

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
Doug_JC,
You can't hardly blame Sears can you? Obviously there was a reason you went to Sears in the first place. You must have felt uncomfortable buying something from someone you don't know anything about, and then possibly having to deal with damaged goods long distance.
It looks like Sears could have sold it to you for $2,339.00. Personally i would have spent the extra money for the piece of mind.

Doug_JC

Grip
Rutledge,
Yes I do blame them. All I ask for is honesty. The signs say they will price match, and they would not. If thats the case, take the signs down.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Gosh why in the world would someone want to pay a few hundred more for an RPTV from a company that has been estabished since the late 1800s instead of some shady fly by night internet company?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Let me ask you this ..Why don't you just purchase the unit from the place that quoted you $2084?
If you are unwilling to buy from this company then that means you only obtained the price to bring to Sears as leverage to get a cheaper RPTV... if this is the case then talk about deceptive...
rolleyes.gif

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
James, I must disagree. The deception is on Sears part. THEY'RE the ones advertising the price match. They don't advertise they they MAY price match depending on your intentions on where you'll buy. They advertise they WILL match, period.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I will side with James on this one. I bought my TV from Sears last winter. They had it for $599, I got it for $505 when I printed out some website which had it listed for that price. I had to push them a little bit, and would not have been offended or surprised if they had refused. I am sure there is a fine print saying they reserve the right to refuse price matching. I can't blame them for it.
--
Holadem

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I'm amused by messages from folks saying "I would NOT buy my electronics from Sears."
There are two "mom and pop" brick and mortar businesses in this area - the Hampton Roads, Virginia area which includes Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News....they both have very very poor setups with fuzzy pictures and make excuses about their poor setup when trying to demo electronics. Is this impressive? Not at all...plus the sales folks are only slightly more knowledgeable than the sales folks at Sears. You would think that a small dealer would do a lot to make up for their inability to provide really cheap prices. Such as, have knowledgeable, polite sales folks and excellet setups on well-adjusted televisions for people to test.
But are you buying a TV anywhere for the quality of a store's sales folks? I doubt it, if you are reading this forum.
So where else does that leave us? Internet shops? What do you do when you order your TV from a shop 800 miles away and the TV is defective? I'm sure you can get it repaired, but wouldn't it be a lot of a hassle? How about Circuit City or Best Buy? They don't even attempt Internet price matching.
I guess I feel exactly the opposite. My selection is narrowed down to only those TVs that Sears sells. I won't buy anywhere else.
[Edited last by Henry Colonna on September 29, 2001 at 02:48 PM]

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
.. Apparently Sears gets their Sony's, Toshiba's and Hitachi's, not to mention their Denon's, from somewhere COMPLETELY different than the high snob, er, high end shops. Give me a freaking break.
Their reputation is well-proven and track record for longevity is hardly matched. They get my money over any local outfit. There's a difference between spending a little extra at a Sears, and paying damn near MSRP at Ma and Pa Kettle's TV store to keep that nice little "shop" atmosphere. I'll get over a shitty salesman in 10 minutes, but I won't get over the 100's of dollars extra spent in nearly as short a time . Give me the gaudy blue of my Sears card any day!
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,my guess is that you wanted the online price,but the convenience and reliability(especially for a T.V.)of brick and mortar.It is more difficult to return a defective T.V. if you bought it online.SEARS delivers faster and will pick it up if its defective.You sometimes have to pay that extra money for convenience.From my experience,you go to brick and mortar for speakers and T.V.s.Everything else can be bought online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks