What's new

Se7en (Platinum Series) (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I showed Se7en to a group of friends tonight and was surprised at the excessive amount of edge enhancement in the final scenes (a huge halo around Morgan Freeman, in particular.) Is this my set-up or is it poor enhancement? I mean, this was worse than Tombstone in my eyes. My friend looked over at me and said "is this what Fincher did to the print for the remastering? Look at that halo!"

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
You know, many people will argue with you about this release, but I am in agreement with you on the way that this DVD looks. Bjoern is always talking about how "flawless" and how detailed and unfiltered this DVD is, but the last time I watched my Platinum Series version, it didn't look all that great to me.

To be fair, Bjoern did mention that the final scenes did have edge enhancement, but he made sure to note that other than just the ending, the rest of the movie is completely edge-ehancement free, which is not the case. I've seen edge-ehancement everywhere on this movie and it is not being introduced by my projector because when movies really do not have any edge-ehancement at all, there will be no edge-enhancement at all.

Plus, this DVD is not all that "detailed" as many have claimed. I've seen a lot better.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
judging by the post-production/color-correction documentary in the extras, i think that last scene was one of the most heavily manipulated when they digitally changed the color timing of the film for this release.

maybe that could explain the added haloes?

i agree that it's distracting during that scene but overall this is one of the best DVD transfers out there to show off on my projector....EE usually KILLS a dvd transfer when using a projector and a big screen and this one holds up really well blown up to 106".

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I too have always noticed prominent edge halos on this release (R1, natch) and not just in the final scenes. The praise heaped on it has more to do with the exceptional level of detail and superb colour saturation.

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator
I've always loved the extra's on the platinum series, but I've always preferred the look of the Criterion Laserdisc or even the first dvd version (dual sided).
As I recall, the Criterion was approved by the DP.
The Platinum was approved by Fincher.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I always wondered if they filmed the scene that actually shows
her head in the box

but decided to cut it from the final print.

- Colton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks