What's new

SD9200 owners with the buzzing problem: Satisfied with Toshiba customer support? (1 Viewer)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I've written to Toshiba several times regarding my buzzing SD9200, which has only gotten worse over the last month or so. I have yet to receive a response. By the time my unit started buzzing, the 90 day labor warranty had expired, but the 1 year parts warranty is still in effect. My feelings are that if the problem with the player is a defect or design flaw that affects a high percentage of units, then it shouldn't be up to me to cover the labor costs of repair--regardless of the warranty stipulations.

I'm considering building a web site dedicated to this particular issue in the hopes that Toshiba will sit up and take notice when a large group of dissatisfied owners gather in one place and make enough noise.

What has your experience been like? Are you satisfied with the way in which Toshiba is handling this problem? Would you participate in a site and sign a petition focused on getting this problem resolved?

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Hello there. Yea there are a few units that seem to make this kind of buzzing. At the store where I go this customer has had two of them exchanged and they still had a problem. That store sent it out to Toshiba and they are fixing it now.

If you can I would suggest that you have yours sent out to Toshiba before the warranty is expired. This is the better oppion unless the store that you bought it from will make it there problem and give you a new unit.

Stephane.

Jay,

I'm surprised that there is so little response to this apparent problem. Certainly those who are having the same issues as you are--especially with the lack of customer service--would be motivated to respond. I'm not sure if this lack of response is due to the fact that most SD9200s work fine, or that for others the problem has been resolve, or apathy.

Audioreview shows that the problem is more prevalent than the response here indicates. I'm very interested in buying this player and would prefer to buy it over the internet. But I only foresee major hassles in the likely event that this problem emerges with my order, Murphy's Law and all.

I anxiously await the resolution to this issue. It's too bad that it appears that this forum will not assist you. Maybe there's a potential following with those who read/post in audioreview.

Keep us (me!) updated.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
It is disappointing that more people haven't responded, but maybe this isn't the best place to get support for the idea. Perhaps my own review over at AudioReview would help.

I purchased my SD9200 at OneCall.com. I would recommend that you avoid them for this purchase Brad, because when I contacted them I was told to take it to a Toshiba service center. Try and find a place that will take it back if it exhibits the buzzing problem within a certain period of time.

Better still, buy from another manufacturer. At this point, there are better DVD players out there for the money.

I'm wondering if there is a better DVD player out there for the money, which would meet my needs.

First off, the price is dropping dramatically. It's now $555 on line. Second, I'm mostly interested in a player that has above average audio with decent video.

Most of the discussions here and at AvsForum are concerned primarily with video quality (i.e., No Chroma bug!). Since my TV is presently low-grade I'd prefer to have an above average DVD-Audio player, which plays CD well (HDCD being a nice extra). Later I'll add a better video quality player, once my TV deserves one.

Is there a better DVD player out there for audio?

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

I have had this player for about 2 months now without any problems. But my friend bought one shortly after I did and has experienced the buzzing sound.

I went over to check it out and there it was. He contacted Toshiba and they said never heard of that problem before!!

They sent him to a local "authorized" service center. He took it over last friday so it's still in the shop. I'm anxious to see if the buzzing has dissapeared when he gets it back.

I bought this player knowing about the problem because of the good deal I got from Onecall. So I am still keeping my fingers crossed, I hope my player doesn't have this "bug" and I feel for those who have the problems because I feel this is great player, even the cd side is very good.

I'll keep everybody posted on my friends player when he gets it back.

Thanks,

Josh

Jay or JoshS,

Any updates on you or your friend's units?!

It sounds like the problem is fixable, but at what cost (both time and money)? or at least still usable even with this nagging noise.

With the price of this unit going the same way as tech stocks it's really getting tempting, warts and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks