What's new

Scooby-Doo DVD won't include deleted scenes (Family Film) reason (1 Viewer)

Douglas Kalon

Stunt Coordinator
According to the following site, when the new Scooby-Doo movie comes out on DVD it will not include 15-20 minutes of deleted scenes because these were cut from the film so that it could be rated PG instead of PG-13. Mostly some lesbian overtones between two main characters.
They won't be on the DVD because they don't want PG-13 rated deleted scenes on a "Family" film.
here is the link
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news.htm
News is dated Friday June 14,2002
When this film does come out on DVD, being it is a Warner Brothers film they will probably release it in the pan and scan format only!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think Garth over at Dark Horizons, or whoever is feeding him the info, is making a LOT of assumptions about this. Frankly, you're making an assumption too, that a WS version won't be available. I'll refer you to Harry Potter, and leave it at that.
What you link to is definately focusing on the "deleted" scenes which imply that Velma is gay and that imply that Fred and Daphne are having an affair. Adult watchers of the cartoon have often thought about that stuff, and also whether or not Shaggy gets high, and is why he's always "munchy".
If you read the CNN article on this subject - which Dark Horizons may have borrowed liberally from - you'll see that some of that stuff is implied to have only been IN THE SCRIPT, and perhaps never committed to film. If that's the case, then there's nothing to put on the DVD!
The filmmakers, according to CNN's article, thought about catering to the adults with this stuff, but decided at the finish to leave that stuff out. To quote the guy who plays Shaggy:
Lillard acknowledged that older fans may be disappointed by the more wholesome approach.
"People out there, fans of the cartoons, teen-agers, young men -- it's not going to be for everyone," the actor said. "But our movie is for families."
So the "family film" route is the way the filmmakers decided to go. That's their choice! And with that choice, they decided that the stuff Dark Horizons is talking about has no place in the film, and might not have a place on the DVD. That's cool. In the end, I want to see the Original Theatrical Presentation. What they put in cinemas this weekend is what I want to buy on DVD...*IF* I like it (big if there!).
If it sucks, I doubt all the deleted scenes in the world can help it! :laugh:
And if a live-action version of "Sesame Street" comes to the screen, I really don't need to worry about deleted scenes that imply that Bert & Ernie are gay lovers. I know that this reference seems like it's outa left field, but it's not. Adults joke about that, too, right along with Velma's orientation. Why deal with it on the big screen? Who exactly is this film for?
In the meantime, worry about the big-screen version of Underdog instead! :eek:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I would never buy this dvd, except possibly for some deleted scenes of lesbian action between Daphne and Velma. So if it's true that these scenes exist and aren't being included, that's just a lost sale for me. :)

Matthew H

Second Unit
I heard something yesterday on CNN that some scenes containing drug content were filmed but cut from the final product. I know there are some things in the movie that were cut for obvious reasons, and this is one of them. We can only hope Warner releases both a PG & PG-13 cut (though not very likely) when it comes to DVD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This film might be one of Warner's biggest hits ever.
That being said, a 4-disc special edition wouldn't even convince me into buying this pile of doggie doo.
Yes, even those infamous kissing scenes. (Who wants to see that anyways?....or did I just answer my question? :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks