What's new

Schindler's List/Catch Me If You Can deleted scenes on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
I thought you guys might be interested at what i found at http://www.davisdvd.com/News/rumors.htm

» 12.28.02 SPIELBERG TALKS SPECIAL EDITIONS

While promoting Catch Me If You Can on "The Today Show," director Steven Spielberg touched upon deleted scenes and a couple of his upcoming special edition DVDs. There is about 1 hour of deleted scenes from Schindler's List and 35 minutes from Catch Me If You Can that he plans putting on respective discs. I've also heard from some sources that, if not presented separately, Spielberg may reinstate the deleted footage back into the body of Schindler's List.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Spielberg better not insert anything into Schindler's List. It was a wonderful movie but quite long already.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Spielberg better not insert anything into Schindler's List. It was a wonderful movie but quite long already.
The same arguement could be made with Lord of the Rings.

I'm sure if Speilberg does reinstate deleted footage, he'll include the theatrical cut as well, like he did with E.T.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Just as long as he does not insert the deleted Schindler's List scenes into Catch Me if You Can. That would totally change the tone of the movie. :)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
That's wonderful news that Schindler's List is 'in the works'. I'm hoping that I'm not misreading the post. Maybe this is an indicator of a release this year yet :D .

I'm quite indifferent as to whether a separate or integrated deleted footage would make sense. As indicated, I suspect an original theatrical cut would be included anyway. I'm quite intrigued about the content of an 'additional hour' of deleted material.

Once SL is out my only 'strong wish list item' remaining would be 'African Queen'. Anyone hear about an R1 release for AQ?

Joel

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
I saw that interview and the way I interpreted what he said was that he has the deleted scenes on a disc in his PRIVATE collection.

Just my thoughts

Joey

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
And, yes, it is good to hear that SL is going to be released
I don't believe there was any question about SL being released 'sometime'. The question was always 'when'. I don't think there is a more significant piece of work that Spielberg could work on from what is still unreleased material of his. I always thought he would give this one 'special attention', since it's such a personal work for him. I would guess that this one is worth at least 2 disks (one with a DTS version of the work and one with all the extras). Would we dare even contemplate a commentary track despite previously expressed indications that he prefers to not participate in that manner?

Joel

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno, this whole walkie talkie thing got tired pretty fast, I mean, it's not that big a deal anyway. Spielberg includes both versions on each edition of the dvd, which is certainly more then we can expect from the Lucas camp.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Im just glad Schindlers List is finally comin to DVD. If he does two different cuts, he's gonna nee 4 discs alone for that. Thats if they include DTS, which he probably will. They could pass on the DTS for the Theatrical cut and make it one disc and then a disc or two of extras, makin it a 4-5 disc set. Ohhh....thats sweetness.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see this release as well. It's not a film I'd watch repeatedly, but it is a truly horrifying and amazing film.

If any documentary material is included, I wonder if Billy Wilder will be mentioned. He was apparently involved in SL early on, and may have done a little work on the screenplay. I think I remember reading [was it an interview or was it "Coversations with Wilder"? I can't recall...] that he had hoped to actually direct the film before Spielberg got involved.

Because of his history in films and the fact that he lost family members [his mother, I believe] in the death camps, it would be nice to see him receive credit for whatever influence he had on the movie...IF he indeed had any input.

mattl

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
If any documentary material is included, I wonder if Billy Wilder will be mentioned. He was apparently involved in SL early on, and may have done a little work on the screenplay.
That would indeed be an interesting addition to any new material that could be included with this release. I can see a lot of Wilder's style in Spielberg's work. I'm sure he had some sort of influence on Steve S. over the years...

Any chance anyone knows if we will be seeing it this year? If not, when? If yes, from what source?

Joel

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
If any documentary material is included, I wonder if Billy Wilder will be mentioned. He was apparently involved in SL early on, and may have done a little work on the screenplay. I think I remember reading [was it an interview or was it "Coversations with Wilder"? I can't recall...] that he had hoped to actually direct the film before Spielberg got involved.
Martin Scorcese was also attached to direct the film for a time, and got involved in some early preproduction.

DJ

Declan

Second Unit
Because of this thread i've actually now tonight gotten around to giving my SL LD a spin which I bought back in July and was sitting on the shelf since then. Have the first side watched........... forgot how beautiful the photography is. Also how harrowing it is as well. I still have the clearing of the ghetto scene to come now when I watch the rest tomorro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks