What's new

Scariest, Spookiest, will have nightmares for a week DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Definitely either
Suspiria (coming to DVD this Sept.)
or
Black Christmas (available in Canada on DVD but it's our same region so it doesn't matter.)
------------------

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to concur with Lannie. "Ring" is absolutely fucking terrifying-- slow at first, but even watching the grainy VHS gray-market boot I'd rented here in LA, I was riveted and actually said something along the lines of "Oh Jesus!" when something particularly freaky involving a TV (shades of "Videodrome"!) happened at the climax.
"Texas Chainsaw 1" is a bit like Lynch's "Eraserhead" or the similarly bleak "River's Edge" in that they are extremely difficult to watch alone, but kind of entertaining with a crowd. "Chainsaw" in particular is pretty funny in parts with an eager audience, but man, sitting alone at 2 AM watching it is like nails on a chalkboard.
For older films (both unfortunately not on DVD, but available on VHS and OOP LD), try George Franju's chilling "Eyes Without a Face" (Le Yeux Sans Visage) or the Japanese "Onibaba." Both of these black-and-white films -- which are as different from one another as night is to day -- are extremely disturbing; I remember Clive Barker referencing these two during a speech he gave when I was in grad school.
Cronenberg's films are more weird and moody than scary-- except for "Shivers" and "The Brood." I can't figure out why "The Brood" isn't out on DVD, but it should be. Just terrifying. If you're not completely freaked out by the ending, you are made of sterner stuff than I am.
I still haven't seen "Begotten," though I keep meaning to.

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, the film you really want isn't on DVD...yet. It is not gory at all but (for me, anyway) scary and riveting everytime I watch the laserdisc. It is The Uninvited, starring Ray Milland. (This is the one made in the forties...not another film of the same name.)

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
Don't Look Now.
Unfortunately, it is not yet released on DVD.
------------------

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator
if you want to be disturbed.... go and get a copy of
"Requiem for a Dream"
its not a horror movie, but there is no better way to destroy an entertaining evening with friends!

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Rolando, I noticed a title missing from your list:
EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC.
tongue.gif

Stephen_M

Agent
The original version of "Diabolique" and Roman Polanski's "Repulsion" watched in the dark will give you definite shivers.
Especially "Diabolique"!

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
I'll second Event Horizon; that movie freaked me out.
Although its not really "horror" (more of a suspense/thriller), Arlington Road really freaked my girlfriend out the first time she saw it with me.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
- Night of the Living Dead (original)
- Dead-Alive
- Suspiria
- Inferno
- Tenebre
- Phenomena
- The Bird With The Crystal Plumage
- Black Christmas
- Anatomy
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
------------------
darkcity.gif
mem.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'd really recommend The Shining, Jacob's Ladder, and In the Mouth of Madness. All of those movies creep me out. I wouldn't call Dead Alive a scary movie though, it's more of a hilarious comedy in my book.
Gregory

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Nobody mentioned it yet, so I might as well.
The Silence of the Lambs
Even though there is little blood or gore, there is a dark,
opressive mood to the film that scares the hell out of me.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The last movie to truely scare/disturb me was Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Ebert gave the movie 4 stars, so I rented the movie and watched it late at night. The scene with the camcorder, wow, that was sick.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure Criterion will be doing an edition for THE VANISHING. (The original one, obviously, though a Brazil-like look into the silliness of the American remake could be entertaining.)
Very creepy...

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Definitely check out The Innocents. Not yet on DVD, but hopefully soon. (Paging Mr. Staddon...)
I also recently saw "Ring," and although I think it misfired here and there, there were definitely a few moments in it that really took me aback. Amazing just how inherently scary grainy, lo-res video of abstract images can be. Must be the snuff film vibe it gives off.
Anyway, has anyone here seen any of the "Ring" sequels? I'm just wondering if this is a series worth continuing, and if it actually develops into something even more disturbing.
And I know it's already been discussed, but there are a few scenes in the woefully-underrated "Exorcist III" which always scare the bejeezus outta me.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Josh, Regarding The Begotten...
I can't say I "liked" it, but it was certainly interesting. Director Elias Merhige captures some amazing imagery unlike anything anyone has ever seen on film. While I greatly admire his technical ability, his odd sense of storytelling and his courage, the movie is still quite hard to sit through due to it's crawling pace and abstract "plot".
(PS... do NOT attempt to watch this movie under the influence of anything :))

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a horror movie buff and a huge Stephen King fan... I thought I had seen it all until I checked out (don't laugh) "Final Destination" last year.
Maybe it's because I travel a lot, but I found the first twenty minutes of this movie to be positively grueling. There are some jump-out-of-your-seat scares along the way and a fine, scream-inducing ending. But I was left with a VERY uneasy feeling after watching that movie. It's the first teen slasher flick in a LONG time that took itself seriously and meant to deliver some real-deal scares.
That's pretty rare in a post-"Scream" horror landscape.
"Final Destination" should creep you out quite nicely until the end of August, when we get "Carrie:SE," the new "Silence of the Lambs:SE," "Scanners," "The Howling," and "Hannibal" (scary for so many different reasons) on DVD.
Enjoy, and good luck!
~Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks