What's new

Satellite receivers - how to integrate with HT? (1 Viewer)

Stasulos

Stunt Coordinator
What outputs should be on a satellite receiver to get the best picture? I know they are increasingly broadcasting in HDTV format, does the receiver itself has to be HDTV compatible?

Thanks

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
does the receiver itself has to be HDTV compatible?
Yes, if you want HD. If you are only interested in SD, the main benefit that an HD receiver would provide is component outputs.
For DirectTV (I’m don’t have Dish), you have about three choices: You can purchase a basic SD receiver, which typically has one S-Video output, one set of RCA composite outputs and (if you case) a coax output. The audio is all two-channel audio. I am not familiar with all of the models available, but both RCA and Sony make receivers like this. These sets retail for around $100, and $50 rebates are widely available.
The next step us is still SD. You can buy both a Sony and a RCA (and presumably other manufactures as well) digital STB that also has an optical output for DD 5.1 audio. This is quite nice, but there is a disappointing amount of 5.1 in SD telecasts. These sets retail for ~$200, with again $50 rebates available.
The only HD receiver with which I am familiar is the Hughes E86, although there are others. This receiver has a coax output, one S-Video output, two composite, RCA outputs, and one set of component outputs, which must be used for HD. It also has two, 2-channel, RCA outputs for audio and one optical, digital output for audio. You can combine both satellite and OTA or cable (as you can with the SD freceivers) on the input side.
The E86 does not output both a 480 and 1080 signal at the same time. You must switch back and forth. I don’t consider this a big deal, as I always watch, using the component inputs, but if you want to tape something (which won’t work with the component inputs) you must remember to switch back.
There is some debate, but I find selecting the component inputs superior to S-Video when watching SD telecasts. And far superior to composite inputs. For HD there is no option.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
As far as HDTV, choosing one company or the other will give you more HD channels via their satellite. I believe that Dish gives you the most HD channels. HD HBO and Showtime as well as a couple of HD pay per view channels. DirecTV has HD Channels as well, but not as extensive, (at least last time I checked). Both satellite companies also allow you to ad an extra piece to pull in HD air broadcasts as well. Dish uses optical for their digital audio output. The good thing about Dish, it gives you 3 channels in Dolby Digital, HBO, Showtime and Starz. I'm pretty sure that soon Starz Theater through Dish will give us 5.1 sound as well. Hope this helps.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dish has HBO-HD, Showtime HD, HD-PPV, Discovery HD (requires the optional 8PSK module on the model 6000 receiver), demo channel (only on the 61.5 satellite) and CBS-HD (NY feed on 61.5 and LA feed on 148). DirecTV has HBO-HD, Showtime HD and HD-Net. When HD-Net isn't on, that channel become PPV.

Dish uses optical for their digital audio output. The good thing about Dish, it gives you 3 channels in Dolby Digital, HBO, Showtime and Starz. I'm pretty sure that soon Starz Theater through Dish will give us 5.1 sound as well.
I don't remember the exact list but both services give multiple DD channels for HBO, Showtime and Starz.

-Robert

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robert for enlightening me, I wasn't sure about DirecTV, in reference to their list of Dolby Digital channels. I'm talking about SD t.v.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Hey,

If we're going to discuss Satellite receiver options, we MUST include the combo DirecTiVO boxes with dual Tuners allowing you to record two channels at the same time......

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Jeff ditto, I have 3 in my system. The new series 2 will be out SOON. It has DD 5.1 optical out and s- video plus composite and rf. If you dont have one (a PVR)you are missing a very cool device!!! You get a DD receiver that records up to 35 hours for $199 :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Trz

Agent
has anyone had experience with samsung's hd receivers? I have ordered the new sir-ts160 with dvi...have read good things about it....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks