What's new

Satelite TV distribution question (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
What I need is hdtv so I assume an eliptical triple lnb dish. I need to distribute sat (not all hd) to 9 or more tvs. I know I need a multi switch. However DirectTV told me that I need a switch with 6 inputs. I can only find switches with 4 direct tv and 1 antenna. Is four all I need to use. Also how would I go about hooking the lnb's to the multi switch I am not sure what the conncection side of the lnbs look like. Thanks for your help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You do know you will pay $5 mirror fee for each additional receiver after the 1st? Have you thought about only using a couple of receivers and modulating the signal to other TVs in the house?

-Robert

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Robert,

Thanks for your response. So far I am looking at option number two. I would like to verfiy that to cascade I need to use 4 of the first switchs out put into another of 4(5) input switches. I was thinking that I would only need one. Also where do I find the hdtv 4 x 16 multi switch. This install is for a friend and not me so I would like to see the price and give him the option. Thanks for your help.

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Also one more question. I was at best buy and they have 5 to 8 multiswitch. I have seen on channelvision and smarthome that are hdtv multiswitches. The hdtv one has a,b,c,d inputs. However the best buy one has only two a and two b. Do these labels matter or does it have to be an HDTV one.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had a long answer but I'll shorten it. Ignore the BB switch. Unless it has the word "cascadable" or the phrase "designed circuitry to optimally interface with all DIRECTV Dish Antenna Systems" it won't work.

Is your friend distributing an OTA antenna to any of the nine locations? Any DirecTivos in the mix? How many HD receivers?

-Robert

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
I'm glad you mentioned tivo he is going to have tivo and I totaly forgot about running another coax for the second tuner.

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
So I went to that website and I was looking at some of the lnb high def dishes and I see 5 exits for coax. I know that you said there were only four and everybody else says there are four but my little brain cannot figure this out. This is a 6000 square foot house and I dont want to mess this up. I live in Indiana the zip is 46112. So if I go to best buy and buy an eliptical dish with three lnbs what am I going to get. And if there are five is there some kind of y that you just combine two sets of outs to? Also I saw the 5X16 and it dosent say its HDTV does it necessarily have to. The guy at best buy told me NO (however i do realize he works at best buy and I have been burned by them in the past so I take there word with a grain of salt). Let me know as soon as you can so I can get this junk ordered. I really do appreciate all your help and I promise one of these days I'll stop bugging you. (at least until I go hook everything up after he moves in) Again thanks for the tivo suggestion.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Doesn't have say HD. It's all just radio frequencies to the dish and switch.

If he is a new customer, there are great deals with online dealers like Value Electronics. At least compare them to Best Buy.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks