Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic - DVD Glitch?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Martin, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I just got the new standup film SARAH SILVERMAN: JESUS IS MAGIC DVD from Netflix. It was an original DVD (not the specially made for Netflix DVDs). And, it was the widescreen version.

I went to play it on my standard 4:3 TV and player, and the picture was zoomed in. At least the copy I had was being shown in default 16:9, with the sides cut off. It was watchable, but an odd glitch.

I then played it on my 16:9 widescreen handheld DVD and it looked fine. The full picture was there.

Didn't know if other copies have the same problem, but if you have a 4:3 set, I thought I'd mention it.

The film was good. Although, as a fan, I had heard most of the standup before. Definitely not for all audiences though.

2. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Sounds like a flag was set incorrectly. I have copy on the way from Netflix and will post if it exhibits the same problem.

3. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Jon,

have you checked your DVD player's settings to make sure you haven't set it to 4:3 P&S instead of 4:3 LB? If you've set it to 4:3 P&S most DVDs will still play widescreen, but some discs that support this feature will play just the way you described it on a 4:3 TV.

4. Jon Martin

Yes. It is set up correctly.

It is only the second or third time I have seen this happen out of several hundred DVDs on this player.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I just received the same disc from Netflix and mine plays in it's OAR just fine...however when I set my player (a Pioneer DV 585A) to 4x3 pan & scan mode it zooms in the image just as you described....the disc I received isn't incorrectly flagged as far as I can tell, it seems your player is either set incorrectly or is having an issue with the disc that isn't apparently universal with all players as I tried this disc in my VERY old Toshiba player (at least 1998) and it played correctly in that one as well.

It could be one bad disc in a batch of many I suppose....it wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

6. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

The image displayed properly on my anamorphic squeezing 4:3 Wega and Panasonic RP-82 at both 4:3 letterbox and 16:9 settings.

7. Jon Martin

Just checked again.

Disregard this whole thread.

I have a DVD Recorder/Player/DVR. It has a couple different LB or P&S settings. While the DVD RAM was set for LB, the regular player was at P&S. So, I fixed it.

Don't know how long it was set that way, but this is only the third or so time I have seen this glitch.

Sorry for the confusion.