What's new
World Wide Stereo

Samsung PN58B860 Settings during break in (1 Viewer)

rjones02

Grip
Real Name
Bobby
Wanted to get your thoughts on the best way to calibrate during the first 100 hours of use? Should i use the factory "dynamic" setting? or does this even matter? Should i use bright settings? more contrast?

Also, is 100 hours the correct amount of time to use the TV before professional calibration?

I'd like to make my $2300 investment last, and get the most out of it.

By the way, anybody interested in buying this TV at a local store...Fry's does not advertise it on their website (or anywhere else for that matter), but it is currently on sale for $2099.

any advice is much appreciated.

Bobby

728x90

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I would not set the TV to "Dynamic" - if anything, that's the opposite of where you'd want it to be. Out of the box, contrast is usually pumped up higher than it should/need to be. If there's a preset mode with a name like "Movie" or "Pro", that's probably closer to where you want it to be (it will look dark compared to "Dynamic" but in actuality, it has the potential to show more detail that way).

To really calibrate the display, you should get a calibration disc like Avia or Digital Video Essentials. The disc will take you through step-by-step to get the display just right.

More importantly, though, you should limit the amount of 4X3 content you view on the set these first 100 hours or so. The static black bars could cause uneven phosphor wear. If necessary, set the TV to stretch 4x3 content for now, just to be safe.

I am also of the belief that one doesn't really NEED a professional calibration. A disc like Avia or DVE will get you pretty far. If squeezing the last few percentage points of performance is worth the hefty price tag for a pro, then by all means go for it.

Good luck and enjoy the set.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
Set the display to Movie / Theater mode.
Consider break in for the first 100-150 hours...try to avoid 4x3 material and stationary logos.
Feel free to contact me if youd like a recommendation to a competant professional who make your display look as the director intended it to be.

Regards

gregg
[email protected]

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

No one needs a pro calibration. But it is there for those that want it. It is the universal dilemma of cost of your time versus the cost of paying a pro to do it for you.

If the cost of your time is greater than the cost of hiring a pro ... then you go the pro route. If you want to learn it for the sake of learning, then the cost of your time is little ... then you go learn to do it yourself.

I did that when I first got into this. Went far enough with the test discs ... but wondered if there was any more to squeeze out of it ... also wondered if I understood the process right as well. So I hired a pro and watched. He did things I couldn't do without gear ... and he re-affirmed the stuff that I could do with a disc.

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks