What's new

Samsung DVDM301 questions (1 Viewer)

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
I just got this player tonight. The mp3 function is lacking, however many dvd players don't play mp3s at all, so its not something to complain about. The player really played the dvd Blow really well. I saw no skippings or anything else. I don't even have svideo, as my fiancé pointed out, the tv is the weakest link. She approves of my HT habit. On another note, I saw the other side of the acceptance factor. My friend's girlfriend called us all fanatics as we made sure it was in DD5.1 and not DPL. I suppose I'm just lucky.
Anyway, anyone have this player? Is it any good? I read some reviews and they seemed positive. The instruction manual is lacking and doesn't really explain the "Black Level" function. It seemed to sort of wash out the color but I am just curious if anyone knows better. I picked it up w/ a cheapo toslink cable for about $200 at Best Buy.
Thanks for your responses.
Jon
Denon 1601
Samsung DVDM301
Polk R40/cs175/R10

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Jon-
Although I never used the specific DVD player that you mentioned, I used to have a different player made by Samsung. I believe it was the 709 or something like that. In any event, it was horrible -- it skipped on almost every movie I ever tried to play on it. Additionally, it locked up and stopped playing some movies all together. I ended up getting rid of that player and bought an entry level Toshiba (the 1200, the predecessor to the 1700 I believe). I have had the Toshiba for at least a year and it has not locked up or skipped on even one disk. Heads and shoulders above the Samsung.
Granted, Samsung might have cleaned up their act and started producing reliable DVD players. But why risk it? I can personally vouch for the Toshiba players and many others here ahve had similar experiences with Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer. My advice would be to return the Samsung if you can and pick up an entry level model made by one of the above.
Allan

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Can't argue with an honest response. We'll see how it goes with this player. Since I got it at Best Buy I can always take it back within 30 days. Hell, after a month I might be able to upgrade. :)
It seems that on audioreview.com (I know not the best info source), that the newer samsungs don't stink. Good ratings. We'll see.
Thanks for the reply.
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks