What's new

Samsung DVD HD841 and DTS ES 6.1 (1 Viewer)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I wonder if anyone can figure this one out. First of all, I love my Samsung 841 and it has given me great service although on certain, not all, DTS encoded discs I do experience audio dropouts on the DTS track which is common to this player. I have about 5 DTS-ES encoded discs and not one of them experiences the audio dropout problem when played using that track. The most recent disc I played is the extended edition of LOTR:ROTK and it played beautifully both in 1080i video and DTS-ES audio. It's strange that ordinary DTS tracks sometimes dropout, but I have yet to have a dropout with DTS-ES; just kinda wondering if anyone has any idea why this would be the case.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Luck I guess. DTS and DTS-ES look exactly the same to DVD players... same codec, same digital output flag. Only when it gets to the decoder does it "look" different. A regular DTS decoder will ignore the extension data file with the extra discrete back channel, and a DTS-ES decoder will combine the core and extension data to create a 6.1 discrete mix.

Hmmm... don't know the particular receiver or pre-amp you're using. It could be the culprit. Different voltage characteristics of the digital I/O, perhaps? Vagueries of the specs. of decoder chips?

Dan

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
how is the player overall? I was looking into getting one

EDIT: scratch that question... i found a few other reviews where the DTS dropout problem is a common problem with this player. guess I'll look into something else...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks