Samsung DVD HD841 and DTS ES 6.1

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChuckSolo, Dec 26, 2004.

1. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I wonder if anyone can figure this one out. First of all, I love my Samsung 841 and it has given me great service although on certain, not all, DTS encoded discs I do experience audio dropouts on the DTS track which is common to this player. I have about 5 DTS-ES encoded discs and not one of them experiences the audio dropout problem when played using that track. The most recent disc I played is the extended edition of LOTR:ROTK and it played beautifully both in 1080i video and DTS-ES audio. It's strange that ordinary DTS tracks sometimes dropout, but I have yet to have a dropout with DTS-ES; just kinda wondering if anyone has any idea why this would be the case.

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Luck I guess. DTS and DTS-ES look exactly the same to DVD players... same codec, same digital output flag. Only when it gets to the decoder does it "look" different. A regular DTS decoder will ignore the extension data file with the extra discrete back channel, and a DTS-ES decoder will combine the core and extension data to create a 6.1 discrete mix.

Hmmm... don't know the particular receiver or pre-amp you're using. It could be the culprit. Different voltage characteristics of the digital I/O, perhaps? Vagueries of the specs. of decoder chips?

Dan

3. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    how is the player overall? I was looking into getting one

EDIT: scratch that question... i found a few other reviews where the DTS dropout problem is a common problem with this player. guess I'll look into something else...