What's new

samson S1000, S700 or other pro amp as a mid/high amp? (1 Viewer)

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
Can these amps be used as a good mid/high amp? I need to drive my rear/side surround speakers with one of the above. Will my sound deminish since it it not a sub?
Thanks in advance.
-- Curtis

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
I guess no-one has tried this
frown.gif

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'd direct the question to SVS. They've probably tested those amps every way possible.
Logic says that it'll work fine.....Samson amps are designed for pro audio use. Those types of amps are most normally called on for mids and highs.
Granted, using a pro amp for HT use isn't going to get the best available sound. Pro and HT amps are designed differently, but I don't think you're going to notice a diminished sound using the Samson.
In a situation like this, just try it and see what you get (if you've already got the amp.)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
I've used a Samson S-700 for my mains for some time now and must vehemently disagree that "pro amps" can't sound as good as anything out there. The typically are built BETTER than most consumer gear (just judging by the fit and finish, and layout of the boards if nothing else), and far exceed the ability of most folks hearing I'd guess.
Properly balanced with my Denon receiver feeding them they can drive my mains with ease and without a hint of harshness. Just clean, totally unbiased sound.
And my Denon never get's warm any more. Only running surrounds now. Running all 5 channels it would get HOT at near ref. level movie watching. A Samson on the other hand runs cool as a cucumber no matter what I throw at it. Polks, JBLs, or SVS's.
On a performance/price basis I think entry level pro equipment like Samson is just about the best buy in the industry (excepting SVS subs maybe ;^)
Ron

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Agreed Ron,
So called "pro" amps rock! :) They are built to take a beating (ever see a union crew unload a truck?) and give out good clean power (of course, like everything else, brands may vary). Also I want to add that such amps (Samson, QSC, Crown, Crest, etc.) are very often used to drive subs as well. In fact I have a set up with 4 QSC amplifiers. One for the highs, one for the mids and 2 for the subs (two subs with twin 15's each). And usually at a cheaper price. I can get 6 channels at 200watts per for $1500. And that's ROCK SOLID gear. The only amp I know of that comes close is Outlaws amp and that's just 5 channels. But to each their own I suppose.
Curtis,
How are you running your system now? Could you use the Samson amp for your fronts? I'm not sure what you are using now so maybe this wouldn't be an upgrade. Just curious. Best of luck.
Dan Hine

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
PRO audio amps can run anything within the bandwidth. Look at the specs. These amps are actally not designed to run subs, however they do an excellent job at it. Just as any other PA amp. They will be just fine. Quality wise, not as good as say a marrantz, or other H/T amp but they will work well for any aplication.

NishanF

Auditioning
I was looking at the various Samson amps and was unclear exactly what servo-controlled means. The higher models (700 and 1000) lack this feature. Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks