What's new

Same Price, which receiver. Denon 2801 or 1802? (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
A friend of mine is looking to buy a new receiver and we were at a local B&M today and the price between the two(Denon 1802 & 2801) was virtually the same($10 difference). So, my question is which would you choose? He has heard the 1801 before with his speakers and loves the sound so compatibility is not the issue. He only has a VCR as of yet but with my coaxing will buy a DVD player very soon. He is not really into HT as much as most of us
biggrin.gif
,but hopefully that will be changed as well. So, What do you guys think, 1802 or 2801? I am leaning towards the 2801 as it is pretty much all he will need in a receiver for quite a while(power and feature wise). On the other hand, the DPLII would be great until he gets a DVD player. Anyway, I hope you can help.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website
[Edited last by Richard Travale on September 21, 2001 at 08:06 PM]

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I'd go with the 1802 even if I had a DVD player. DPL2 will make all two channel movies sound better and there are tons of those available on DVD.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I would put a few bucks more together and spring for the 2802. The added power of the 28xx series with the DPLII capability will avoid compromise of either. I have found that that series sounds better than the entry-level one. Remember that the 2802 adds another channel so you are ready to go with 6.1 also.
If I had to choose between the only two mentioned, I would go with the 2801, though disappointedly.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
"I would put a few bucks more together and spring for the 2802. "
To some folks, $300 does not qualify as a "few" bucks. :)

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
It really depends how important DPL2 is, to me it is not that important at all. If I had to choose between the 1802 and the 2801 I would pick the 2801 based on the power output and the bells and whistles it adds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks