Same Price, which receiver. Denon 2801 or 1802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Travale, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    A friend of mine is looking to buy a new receiver and we were at a local B&M today and the price between the two(Denon 1802 & 2801) was virtually the same($10 difference). So, my question is which would you choose? He has heard the 1801 before with his speakers and loves the sound so compatibility is not the issue. He only has a VCR as of yet but with my coaxing will buy a DVD player very soon. He is not really into HT as much as most of us [​IMG] ,but hopefully that will be changed as well. So, What do you guys think, 1802 or 2801? I am leaning towards the 2801 as it is pretty much all he will need in a receiver for quite a while(power and feature wise). On the other hand, the DPLII would be great until he gets a DVD player. Anyway, I hope you can help.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website
    [Edited last by Richard Travale on September 21, 2001 at 08:06 PM]

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I'd go with the 1802 even if I had a DVD player. DPL2 will make all two channel movies sound better and there are tons of those available on DVD.

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I would put a few bucks more together and spring for the 2802. The added power of the 28xx series with the DPLII capability will avoid compromise of either. I have found that that series sounds better than the entry-level one. Remember that the 2802 adds another channel so you are ready to go with 6.1 also.
    If I had to choose between the only two mentioned, I would go with the 2801, though disappointedly.
    ------------------
    Sound InSight Audio Video
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

4. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

"I would put a few bucks more together and spring for the 2802. "
    To some folks, $300 does not qualify as a "few" bucks. [​IMG]

5. Myram

Myram Second Unit

It really depends how important DPL2 is, to me it is not that important at all. If I had to choose between the 1802 and the 2801 I would pick the 2801 based on the power output and the bells and whistles it adds.