What's new

SACD...Which one? (1 Viewer)

ReneA

Agent
I just read an article in Stereophile Guide to HT, where the featured piece is the Sony SCDE 555es, listed at $1700.00. But the writer goes on to mention that a lower priced model is on the horizon for $400.00. I checked with Sound Advise and sure enough, they are carrying the 5-Disc SACD Changer SCDCE775 for around $350.00. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? Also, is it multi-channel as the 555 is? Thanks guys. Rene
------------------

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up an SCDCE775 last weekend ($350.00 at CC), and have been quit pleased. It is a multichannel player, it does have bass management features that work for surround and stereo (setting small speaker sizes sends bass to sub), and sounds excellent as a cd player. This seems to be the best and least expensive way to get into SACD right now. I have been listening to Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" with very impressive results. It also has alot of features that can be set to the listener's liking. Now if only someone in the area would wake up and start selling the SACDs. I am constantly amazed at how many music stores there are in this city, but none of them have even heard of SACD (and selling music is how they make a living). I would recommend picking one up from a store that has an easy return policy, if you don't like it you can always return it. By the way, you can find most of the SACD titles online, and very competetively priced.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The SCD-CE775 is Sony's first budget SACD player. At a one-fourth the retail price of the SCD-C555ES, the 'CE775, isn't built as well inside or out as the ES unit. Also, the 'C555ES is going to be the better audio component. However, I have yet to read a bad review from owners of the 'CE775. It seems to provide a lot of bang for the buck. Note also that Sony just released the SCD-C222ES multi-channel changer as an in-between model. It retails for $800. Crutchfield has it, so you can check their web site for more info., but I have not seen it in any stores yet. Oade Bros., an authorized Sony mail-order dealer, is selling the 'C222ES for $575. That is the multi-channel player I am interested in, but I want to see it in a store before considering the purchase.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on September 16, 2001 at 07:38 AM]

ReneA

Agent
Hey Keith, can you tell me where I can find the OADE Bros. web site? I'd like to check that one out. Thanks. R.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rene, Oade Bros.' web site is www.oade.com . They have limited information on their web site. As a result of Oade Bros.' low prices, I don't believe manufacturers such as Sony allow them post much information about products and certainly do not allow them to take orders online. Crutchfield is likely to be your best source for information online, so check out www.crutchfield.com . If you want to order the 'C222ES or simply get more information, call Oade Bros. at 1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480. They are very helpful. I've had many helpful discussions with Jim Oade and others there.
------------------
My:
[Edited last by KeithH on September 16, 2001 at 07:42 AM]

ReneA

Agent
Thanks Keith. I'm really eyeballin' that C222ES. I want to at least have that ES quality under my bealt if I'm going to dive into SACD on the economy side. Thanks for your post.
------------------

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
No problem, Rene. I have owned a few mass-market Sony products over the years such as a CDP-CE535 carousel CD changer, and it's one of those things where you generally get what you pay for. The 'CE535 was a good changer for $160, but $160 doesn't get you much in a CD player. So, I sold the 'CE535 and now only buy Sony ES audio components as opposed to mass-market Sony gear.
I've looked at the SCD-CE775 at a few stores and have not been impressed with the build quality. Although it offers stereo and multi-channel SACD playback, it is not worth $300-350 to me because of the build quality. I don't feel the 'CE775 is built any better than Sony's $130 CDP-CE375 CD changer. As a result, I plan on getting the SCD-C222ES at some point for $575 from Oade Bros. I expect it is built significantly better than the 'CE775, and it comes with a five-year warranty. If it sounds better than the 'CE775, which is considered pretty good, all the better! The 'C222ES should be better all around. I would expect it to be analogous to comparing the CDP-CE535 and CDP-CA80ES CD changers. I've owned both (still own two 'CA80ES units), and there is no comparison in build and sound quality.
------------------
My:
[Edited last by KeithH on September 16, 2001 at 09:34 PM]

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Rene, Pioneer is supposed to be coming out with a SACD/DVD-A combi-player that's going to be lower priced than the AX10. I don't know if the SACD output will be multi-channel? I would hope so! I'm waiting around to see it. I'm also considering an all-reigon AX10 out of Hong Kong for way less than the U.S. price. Parasound will have a combi-player in the next 6 months or so too. It will be pretty expensive. I've come to 1 conclusion, I want to choose software, not formats. I want a do it all player. I'm being patient. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, what remains to be seen with any of the "universal" players is whether they will have a DSD DAC for proper processing of SACD. I would not want an "SACD" player that uses a PCM DAC. Now, I haven't heard such a player, but it just isn't the proper recipe for doing SACD properly. Maybe the Pioneer and Parasound players forthcoming will do SACD properly. Time will tell.
------------------
My:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Keith, I've heard all the arguements about what's wrong with the AX10, but I've played DVD-A discs and SACD, recently, on one at a local dealer thru a Denon 5800 and Paradigm Ref speakers, and I played DVD-A discs on one hooked up to a Proceed pre, huge hi-end amps, and Theil speakers at the same dealer earlier. It sounds terrific!
The dealer doesn't have Sony, Marantz, or Phillips, so I can't face off the SACD contestants. For me, Sony can be heard at another dealer.
I'm most curious to see the new Pioneer. I've been told on AVS that the SACD chip that the AX10 uses is out of production. If true, this new Pioneer may do SACD quite differently?
I like the AX10 too. IMO, it's the best interlaced player on the planet. It's Progressive scan mode is competative. The Japanese model weighs 58 lb. (25 kg), I think that's 7 lb more..? It adds an optical and coaxial digital input so you can feed other players to it's DACs. It's tempting, and even with the Yen's 3.5 % recent rise against the dollar and the shipping, is much cheaper than the domestic model. Oh, they region free it too.
I'm waiting to see the new domestic Pioneer. The AX10 is on the back burner for now, but damn I'm tempted! No player is perfect, but the all-round performance of the AX10 ain't chopped liver. You wouldn't kick one out of bed, would you? I think some other combi-players are bound to emerge too. I want one!!! Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
can somebody point me torwards more info on this AX10?
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The only way I would get a universal multichanel DVD-A/SACD player is if the DAC's and processing for each format are totally separate. I don't want DSD processed into PCM before the digital to analog conversion. That would make any benefits from Direct Stream Digital recordings totally moot.
I also want to see a universal, high bandwidth digital audio interface added (with new compatible DSD & PCM pre-amps and receivers). Buying audio cord after audio cord after audio cord with no easy way to enjoy both formats in one system right now is totally absurd.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm... when it comes to DSD down to PCM... like it or not... I think in all practicallity it all comes back to PCM anyhow.
Not everyone agrees about the theoretical technical superiority of DSD and the Super Audio CD. There have been many learned papers presented at successive Audio Engineering Society conventions recently in which the pros and cons have been hotly debated. One complaint is that the DSD process introduces a very high level of ultrasonic noise. Demonstrations of SACD often make special mention of the audio system’s wide frequency range, including, for example, tweeters that will handle up to 100 kHz. It is, of course, doubtful whether there is any "audio" information at such high frequencies. However, the DSD process may produce a high level of noise at such frequencies, and if the replay system cannot handle it, it may fail. You are therefore left with two choices: either use more robust equipment that will handle absurdly high levels at absurdly high frequencies, or filter the input signal and thereby remove one of the main alleged benefits of DSD, namely an extended HF response, by "turning it down" to 96 kHz PCM levels.
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Johnny,
There are many other reasons to buy SACD besides the high frequency extension (and yes audio engineers have PROVED that some people can hear far beyond 20Khz).
There is better soundstaging. Vocals are better and the midrange seems more real.
I do have an expensive system but I have heard SACD on many budget systems and the difference is dramatic. You do not need high end equipment, although it helps, to get the benefit of Super Audio.
Best regards,
Lee

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Johnny, in a big city like Houston, there must be a dealer where you can see the Pioneer AX10. E-mail me if you want contact info for my Hong Kong source. He has them in stock. Best wishes!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks