What's new

S-video out vs composite out video card? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Here is what I am wondering. I am looking at a few very cheap video cards to use for testing right now. My main use will be for DVI testing, however, these cards also come with composite or S-video. If I get a card with composite output, IF I use it, the rca video putput will work with more TV's. If I got the S-video output, it should look better, but if I want to connect to an older TV without S-video, I would need an "adapter".

Do S-video to composite adapters actually work?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I have a bunch of the adapters and they work pretty well especially on an older TV that might not be that sharp anyway. Many cards that have S-Video outputs come with their own adapters (some of which just connect pins that have composite video on then and don't actualy convert; those will have S-Video connectors with more than the standard 4 pins)

If you want to have even a slight hope of reading text on screen, you'll need S-Video. You probably won't find text legible on composite regardless of the method of connection.

Are you sure you haven't misread composite for component? Almost anything with S-Video should do composite but component would be a step up from S-Video and not as common.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanx for the info. Yeah, I know it is composite. The card came with an S-video to composite adapter. I wouldn't be surprised if the card actually changes output if you tell it you have S-video or composite connected. Oddly, the card is crashing my PC, so I am not sure what to do. Perhaps I should spring for a newer more up-to-date AGP card! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks