S-Video, Optical Cable, and Component

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_Lawrance, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

Hi

Does anyone know if i can use the s video and the optical cable together on the playstation 2?

IS there much different between the S-Video and the component video for the playstation 2?

Also, Has anyone tried the component video from the playstation 2 though a AVR 520?

Thanks

Bob

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There is no such thing as optical video

If you mean optical audio, it's a seperate port on the system if memory serves

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Jeff is right: there is no Optical Video on the market. Optical Audio IS indeed a seperate connector on the system, so you should have no problem hooking up both at the same time.

If you DO have a component input on your TV, Component Video + Optical Audio would be the best combination.

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Bob,

If your receiver has optical ports and your television has either s-video or component ports, then you can utilize both on your PS2. There is actually a bundle sold specifically for use w/the PS2 which includes both an optical audio cable and the PS2/Component video cable.

~j

5. DonaldZ

DonaldZ Extra

Is there a setting on the PS2 that has to be changed to enable use of component video to the receiver?

I have the same receiver, and I'm getting sound with no video output. I have an S-video out connection from receiver to TV. The tape/VHS, as well as cable-box, work fine as sources.

The PS2 for some reason does not, when I'm using the three connector analog out from the PS2, to either DVD or to video 3 input areas.

Another trip for cables would lead me to the Component Video + Optical Audio suggestion above.

I wish I could find the PS2 manual...

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

You can't use your receiver to convert from Component (or Composite) to S-Video. It can only pass through what it receives in...

7. DonaldZ

DonaldZ Extra

So I can either buy the component out cable from the receiver to the television, or buy an S-video cable for PS2 to the receiver? And then it should theoretically work?
    [​IMG]

8. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Correct. If you run Component from your PS2 to your receiver, then you have to run Component from your receiver to your TV. Same with S-Video.

9. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

OR you could run component from your PS2 to the tv and the optical cable to your receiver. thats how i have mine set up and it works great [​IMG]

10. DonaldZ

DonaldZ Extra

All right. I got it working today, component to receiver, and analog to TV.

The use as a DVD player is adequate, but I think the output could be cleaner, and I'm not sure that I'm taking full advantage of the sound encoding on DVDs.

I bought the system, in one way of looking at it, because of DVDs such as FOTR and AOTC. I could use the PS2 as a gaming only console, perhaps with the optical connect for the best sound (nice suggestion!) and then lose the old CD player for a broadly capable DVD player that handles all the modern formats. I suspect I'd get better picture and sound than the PS2 offers as a part time DVD player.

Is there a FAQ around somewhere on how to best hook everything up?

/newbie to the forum.

Don