What's new

S-Video, Optical Cable, and Component (1 Viewer)

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

Does anyone know if i can use the s video and the optical cable together on the playstation 2?

IS there much different between the S-Video and the component video for the playstation 2?

Also, Has anyone tried the component video from the playstation 2 though a AVR 520?

Thanks

Bob

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is no such thing as optical video

If you mean optical audio, it's a seperate port on the system if memory serves

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Jeff is right: there is no Optical Video on the market. Optical Audio IS indeed a seperate connector on the system, so you should have no problem hooking up both at the same time.

If you DO have a component input on your TV, Component Video + Optical Audio would be the best combination.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Bob,

If your receiver has optical ports and your television has either s-video or component ports, then you can utilize both on your PS2. There is actually a bundle sold specifically for use w/the PS2 which includes both an optical audio cable and the PS2/Component video cable.

~j

DonaldZ

Grip
Is there a setting on the PS2 that has to be changed to enable use of component video to the receiver?

I have the same receiver, and I'm getting sound with no video output. I have an S-video out connection from receiver to TV. The tape/VHS, as well as cable-box, work fine as sources.

The PS2 for some reason does not, when I'm using the three connector analog out from the PS2, to either DVD or to video 3 input areas.

Another trip for cables would lead me to the Component Video + Optical Audio suggestion above.

I wish I could find the PS2 manual...

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
You can't use your receiver to convert from Component (or Composite) to S-Video. It can only pass through what it receives in...

DonaldZ

Grip
So I can either buy the component out cable from the receiver to the television, or buy an S-video cable for PS2 to the receiver? And then it should theoretically work?
:confused:

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Correct. If you run Component from your PS2 to your receiver, then you have to run Component from your receiver to your TV. Same with S-Video.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
OR you could run component from your PS2 to the tv and the optical cable to your receiver. thats how i have mine set up and it works great :)

DonaldZ

Grip
All right. I got it working today, component to receiver, and analog to TV.

The use as a DVD player is adequate, but I think the output could be cleaner, and I'm not sure that I'm taking full advantage of the sound encoding on DVDs.

I bought the system, in one way of looking at it, because of DVDs such as FOTR and AOTC. I could use the PS2 as a gaming only console, perhaps with the optical connect for the best sound (nice suggestion!) and then lose the old CD player for a broadly capable DVD player that handles all the modern formats. I suspect I'd get better picture and sound than the PS2 offers as a part time DVD player.

Is there a FAQ around somewhere on how to best hook everything up?

/newbie to the forum.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks