What's new

S Video cable length (1 Viewer)

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
Hi .. I am building a home theater .. I need to run a 30' S-Video cable from the back room to the tv (30' is the minimum, it would be alot nicer to have 33-35', but can be done with 30')... I was told that this was absolutely the maximum length that I should use .. if it were to be any longer, he said to just use the RCA as there would be such a loss in picture quality anyway ... is this true?

Thank you all!

Brett

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
If that's the case and the s video signal will degrade that much over 30 feet, then wouldn't it seem that the same would be true for the composite cable?

If so, the composite cable would degrade enough to still make it worth running s video. So true or not, you'll get a better signal with s video any way you cut it.

BTW, I run a 25 foot s video and composite video cable from the same components and there's a night and day difference in quality.

IMHO, I'd say that 50 feet would be my max run without any kind of signal boost.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There might be some loss but probably not dramatic. The loss with 'S' is due to the fact that the wire gauge is very small in order to fit 4 wires (2 pos. and 2 neg.) into the connector. If you are concerned you can also go to a place like www.milestek.com. They sell 'S' video break-out adapters (part 10-01120) for $52/pair that take 2 composite and convert it an 'S' so that you can use RG-6 composite cables that will have less loss. They also can make up custom lenght 'S' cables (part CA-5092-xxx wher x is the length) for $12 plus $0.50 ft. or video grade RCA cables for $12 plus $0.20 ft.

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
If you have any soldering capabilities, I built a 30ft cable with parts from Radio Shack. The have a spool of s-video cable for 19.99, and the connectors are 4.99. It would be a slight step up from the parts express cable.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Brett,
I wouldn't worry about a 30-35' length S-Video cable as long as it is a quality cable. I was dealing with the same problem when I built my HT two years ago. The room calls for a 50' S-Video cable to feed my projector from all the S-Video sources (switched through my receiver). I questioned the length of the cable and was told that up to 50 feet or so there is no problem. My dealer (MVS) where I purchased my projector (Sony VW10HT) also provided me with the cable (I think I paid $42 for a very good quality 50' S-Video cable). MVS told me that if I had any concern I could purchase an S-Video signal amplifier (for ~$140). To be on the safe side I did this and, I have to be honest with you, I don't see any problem with the 50' S-Video cable by itself, and little if any improvement with the amplifier in place. (And this is looking at the signal on a 110" diagonal screen so that any imperfections will show up very clearly).
So, the bottom line is: 30-35' will be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks