What's new

S&V - Onkyo 696 wins reviewer choice award (1 Viewer)

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo TX-DS696 has won a "Reviewer's Choice Award" in the Dec 2001 issue of Sound & Vision.
This is good news for Onkyo, as there may have been some concern when S&V tested the TX-DS696 to have only 46 watts per channel (with all 5 channels driven simultaneously) in the July/Aug issue.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I think I missed that issue with a late subscription renewal. What was the criteria or reason for the 696 being a choice product? I did not have the same impression of the product to call it "choice", but that's just my opinion. But I hear that the 797 is another story.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
S&V just goes through products they've reviewed in the last 12 months, and then they pick their favorite from different product categories.
So they tested 14 receivers in 2001 (according to the 2001 editorial index at the back of the issue), and they picked the Onkyo TX-DS696, JVC RX-DP10V, and B&K AVR307 as reviewer's choice winners. Obviously those 3 are all in different price ranges.
"The TX-DS696 receiver would be worth your money just for Onkyo's usual strong mutlichannel amplifier performance, well designed remote control, and accurate, noise-free DD and DTS playback. But it also features the first implementation of DPL II Music and Movie processing....."

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I sure don't get this. Although as an Onkyo 898 owner I am happy to see the 696 get that award but I thought the review said it was only delivering 46W with all channels driven.
So, is the award given on the merits of processing abilities and power abilities or processing alone? In that case I am surprised the 3801 did not win anything as it was the first below $1k receiver with DTS-ES discrete, etc. and a pretty healthy power output.
Just my $.02.

Just a slight off topic question chaps, but a friend recently purchased a small Onkyo 494 (I think is the number) and he claims it has no method to set the time delays, I checked the pdf manual on line at this appears to be true, does anyone know what the story is, do they attempt to correct time alignment at all?, or do they have some clever (I'd be suprised) method of dealing with it.
Regards
Stephen

David Head

Second Unit
I have a different opinion from Gil on the 696. I think it's a great product and haven't seen any of the power issues that were discussed when the S&V article first appeared. I still wonder if there was something wrong with the unit they tested or the data that was published. I just know that I have a big smile on my face every time I play a DVD or listen to music and that's all that matters to me.
David

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps Sound&Vision is making up with Onkyo by choosing the 696 for an award. It's like they are saying "yes, we published that it only has 46 watts per channel with all 5 channels driven simultaneously, and the 4 ohm output is 1/2 the 8 ohm output...... but we just gave it a reviewer's choice award, so please continue advertising in our magazine".
On the other hand, I think S&V truly did like the Onkyo 696, and they found it to have adequate power output in the listening sesssions. It was only on the test bench that it had lower than usual numbers.
And we know the Marantz SR7200's output tested much worse than the Onkyo 696.
This month they tested a Denon 2802, Pioneer VSX-805S, and Sony STR-DB1070......
The Sony's output was a wimpy 31 watts with all 5 channels driven simultaneously. 67 for the Pioneer, and 74 for the Denon. With 6 channels driven, 31 watts again for the Sony, 59 Pioneer, and 61 Denon. Manufacturer's specs are 100 x 6 into 6ohms for Sony, 110 x 6 into 8 ohms for Pioneer, and 90 x 6 into 8 ohms for Denon.
[Edited last by Paul_Psutka on November 17, 2001 at 10:31 PM]

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Wait, I posted this in another reply, but it should be posted here too. When I was buying recievers, at Soundtrack, they had both a sony 100x5 and an Onkyo 75x5 set up with the same speakers on both of them as "demos" The onkyo blew the sony away, even though the sony had more power. Onkyo also sounded clearer, and the guy said Onkyo usually under-rates their equipment, and sony over-rates it.

MY QUESTION:

How do companies determain their recievers power ratings? Anyone know?

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Perhaps Sound&Vision is making up with Onkyo by choosing the 696 for an award. It's like they are saying "yes, we published that it only has 46 watts per channel with all 5 channels driven simultaneously, and the 4 ohm output is 1/2 the 8 ohm output...... but we just gave it a reviewer's choice award, so please continue advertising in our magazine".
Yes, that was my initial reaction as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks