What's new

S&S 100 Films HTF Forum Challenge (1 Viewer)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Does anyone in here want to host a new S&S challenge starting next year? I would love to dive into these films and have others' comments.

Pascal A

Second Unit
Updated everyone's totals in the Participants' List.
Does anyone in here want to host a new S&S challenge starting next year?
Also, is there a consensus on which "extended" list we are going by (critics, critics+directors, adjusted accounting results for Godfather and other trilogies)?
I'll be glad to support whoever is interested in hosting the 2002 S&S Challenge. I have two on that list that I haven't seen (although I think my chances on seeing them are slim to none :frowning:) :
Black God, White Devil (Glauber Rocha)
India Song (Marguerite Duras)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I have 8 left.
Gregory has done even more work and DVD listed/linked the 2002 list! HERE.
This list is for titles that got 5 or more votes.
In parenthesis - position the title had in 1992 poll. (--) - the title was not on the list in 1992 or it was below position # 127.
Cheers,

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Saw one off the 2002 list Chungking Express
Loved it, I should have just bought the DVD when it came out, I'll
definitely have to add it to my collection. Faye Wong -- WOW! and this is
one of the few split storyline movies where I can say I loved both stories
equally. It had that wonderful "root for the couple to get together" energy
that I also find in Rohmer films, where, unlike Hollywood, you can't be
sure that the couple is going to end up together. I still prefer In The
Mood For Love and Happy Together, but this is plenty fabulous and renews my interest in seeking out
Days of Being Wild.
Thi, I have the 4 hour or so reconstituted version that gets shown on TCM every once in awhile.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have two on that list that I haven't seen (although I think my chances on seeing them are slim to none ) :
Black God, White Devil (Glauber Rocha)
India Song (Marguerite Duras)
India Song just played in NYC as part of the MOMA's Delphine Seyrig festival. I did see it years ago, for what it's worth. Anyway -- never say never -- if you mean you chances of seeing them by the end of the year are slim, that we will accept.
Actually, thanks for making me look -- Ackerman's The Golden '80s is playing tonight, and I should go. I doubt that it is on the S&S list, but c'est la vie.
Ted

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I saw Chungking Express for the third time on Saturday. There were a few things in the first act that I hadn't noticed before. Be sure to watch Fallen Angels, as it was supposed to be the third story in Chungking Express.

~T

Pascal A

Second Unit
just played in NYC as part of the MOMA's Delphine Seyrig festival.
Ack! I was just there last week, too. That's what I get for not checking on MoMA's programming. :frowning:
Incidentally, I vote for Brian W.'s critics+directors list too. Each list has some loopy choices, so combining the list helps to normalize the results.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Although I completed the original challenge earlier this summer, I'm going to keep contributing to this thread as I see new ones. FWIW, I'd say just extend the challenge completion date indefinitely. No real reason to start a whole thread anew when all the needed info is right here.
Also, regarding which S&S 2002 list to use: I've been using the list Stephen R originally posted from Rotten Tomatoes, even though I know there's at least one factual error on the list (Raging Bull listed as having gotten only three votes). I've seen 98 films from that list, which counts as 99 because of Shoah. I should be done by this early evening, as I'm in the midst of finishing Solaris.
Using Brian W's much longer list, I've seen 120 (121 with Shoah) of the 156 films receiving at least four votes and 105 of those getting at least five.
And those 15+ capsule reviews I've been promising for months now? Sure, let me get started.
First up...
Hey, look over there! It's Toshiro Mifune's floating spirit! (points)
(runs away)
:)
Evan

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I have seen Fallen Angels, of the 4 Wong Kar Wai movies I've seen, it's the only one I didn't love, or even like very much.

Pascal A

Second Unit
Since I finally got around to writing about Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles on my site, I thought I'd post my running thoughts (sans plot/visual description) here too. I guess, it's a fair assumption that this will be my last post on this old thread and any new post will be when we get the 2002 S&S Challenge thread up. Are there any volunteers to start that one up yet?
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles is a visually rigorous, uncompromising, and understatedly harrowing portrait of alienation, repression, and marginalization. Using primarily long take, medium shots from the repeated perspective of a stationary camera, Chantal Akerman creates an innately disquieting atmosphere of stasis and monotony. From the opening image of Jeanne facing away from the camera, to her visually decapitated shot as she politely receives clients by the entrance hallway of the apartment, Akerman uses extended, isolated framing that inhibits personal identification of the title character and reinforces a pervasive sense of unconscious, mechanical activity. The repeated filmic cued scene transitions associated with the actuation of light switches throughout the apartment further underscore the fragmented nature and dehumanized automation of her domestic tasks. By presenting the controlled and deliberate gestures inherent in Jeanne's ritualistic actions that betray an implicit violence beneath the veneer of structure and order - as she bathes (note the similar imagery of cleansing in Michael Haneke's The Seventh Continent), knits, shines shoes (a familiar episode from Akerman's short film, Saute ma ville), and peels potatoes - the film provocatively captures the unarticulated tragedy of estrangement, loneliness, and disconnection.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I don't mind starting the new thread and updating it. So, should we use Brian's list then? If so, where should the cutoff be? What about the amount of movies to complete this challenge? Deadline?

~T

Pascal A

Second Unit
Going by Brian W.'s Combined List, I vote for up to 157, since I've seen everything through 124, and the two that I need to see are in the 157 bracket.
Just my two cents. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I've watched 2 more off the 2002 list, Rio Bravo and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, but if we go for 157, I doubt I'll ever finish.
The 1992 list has around 127 right? and we went for 100, and even gave double credit for Decalog and Shoah. We'd also have to iron out a few things, I know for 2002, Evan counted Three Colors individually, I'm still counting them as one.
But again, access is my problem. Currently I have 2 films from 1992, and 3 from 2002 (assuming Contempt is on that list, I don't remember), but beyond that, it's up to the vagaries of DVD releases. Nothing else is out I haven't seen with English subs except Listen To Britain, which Netflix doesn't carry and I didn't want to buy just so I could check it off the list.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
hmm, now I'm really confused. I guess I was looking at the wrong list. Based on the one Pascal is linked to, I counted 152 movies I'd seen plus at least 15 others out on R1 DVD, 5 of which I have and haven't watched yet, and several others out in R2. So there has to be more than 157 movies on this list right?

Or I could just be up way too late to be counting by hand.

Good night....

Pascal A

Second Unit
Yeah, the collective 124's take you up to 156, and the collective 157's take you all the way to 225. Kind of confusing, but makes sense.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I've seen around 125 movies/series.

Instead of making the next one a challenge, I'm thinking of just turning it into a club. The goal will be to try to watch as many movies by 2012, the time of the next S&S list. We could then extend the list to those that received 2 votes so that more movies are accessible and people, like Pascal, have more unseen. The important thing is that people see as many of these movies as possible, right? There has been no reward for those finishing the challenges in time, anyway. Perhaps we could hold a drawing yearly to give away prizes to those who see the most in that year. I have some unwanted DVDs I could donate.

~T

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Ok, good I wasn't going insane then. I have some unwanted DVD's as well, but I'm not sure anyone else would want them. I guess it could be like a No-Prize. You too can own Brook's original Fargo DVD in the crappy plastic sliding case :D

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Or you can win Thi's Lost in Space DVD! I tried giving it away once among several DVD and VHS movies, but nobody took it. I was unsuccessful in selling it because it's a promo or the place had too many used copies already.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks