What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

RYAN’S DAUGHTER: Discussions for a BD Release (2015 - 2024) (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Oscar History on "Ryan's Daughter" (1970):

Best Cinematography - Freddie Young - (Won)

Best Supporting Actor - John Milles - (Won)

Best Actress - Sarah Miles - Nomination

Best Sound - Gordon MCallum and John Bramall - Nomination

NOTE: "Ryan's Daughter" was filmed in the 70mm/6-Track format.

Imagine how the storm sequence; both visually and audibly;

would have its renewed power and impact within your home theatre!

Now, for those who wish to see "Ryan's Daughter" made available in the UHD/4K format, please remember to send a brief and encouraging message to Warner Archives as kindly supplied by HTF member John Hermes (from Post #4):

John Hermes said:
https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive?ref=ts

This is their Facebook page. You can go to the "Visitor's Post" section and leave a post asking about RD. The guy on there is pretty good about answering questions.

- PMF

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
OliverK said:
There has to be a bit of a debate or these threads die an early death :)

I watched Ryans Daughter 70mm once and the cinematography was stunning and I really thought that Mitchum did a great job playing against character in it. Still it was a movie that seemed too big for its story.

Edited the name of the movie not every thread is about Raintree County.

I like your line "too big for it's story", since to me, it's a very fitting description of Ryan's Daughter. While Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge On The River Kwai, and Doctor Zhivago all contained large themes and ideas, Ryan's Daughter disappointed me because it simply struck me as an over produced soap opera. And one that was way too long for its scant material.

But Ryan's Daughter has one thing in common with those other 3 films, masterful cinematography. And that's why it would be great to see its gorgeous large format photography with the highest quality home video format possible, on screens as big as film fans can muster.

In fact a great 2 part film trivia question would be: "Who is the only movie director in history who made 4 consecutive films that won the Best Cinematography Oscar, with that director using 2 different cinematographers to accomplish that feat? And what are the 4 films in the order of their release?

Naturally the answer is David Lean, and the 4 consecutive films with Oscar winning cinematography that Lean directed, and their cinematographers, are:

Bridge On The River Kwai (1957) Cinematographer: Jack Hildyard

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) Cinematographer: Freddie Young

Doctor Zhivago (1965) Cinematographer: Freddie Young

Ryan's Daughter (1970) Cinematographer: Freddie Young

Someone on HTF called Ryan's Daughter a masterpiece, which, IMO, is a pretty big abuse of the term, but is certainly an appropriate description, I think, for the film's striking photography. Freddie Young's work just makes me wish that my wife and I could visit some of the locales in Ireland that he photographed.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thank you, Mike Boone!

Your articulations best sum up the many attributes as to why Warner Archives should be encouraged to release "Ryan's Daughter" on BD or UHD/4K.

David Lean was a master of both the intimate and the epic; and perhaps, to many, "Ryan's Daughter" fell short within its fusion of both forms. Nonetheless, for reasons of Cinematography alone, I feel it's high time for it's release in this age of restoration and high definition within the home theaters we now enjoy.

Finally, your highlighting of the 4 consecutive Oscars for Cinematography is apropos to the true intention of this thread. After all, we have "Kwai", "Lawrence" and "Zhivago" on BD and the results remain thrilling and are to be cherished; so why not complete it with "Ryan's Daughter"?

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
"Finally, your highlighting of the 4 consecutive Oscars for Cinematography is apropos to the true intention of this thread. After all, we have "Kwai", "Lawrence" and "Zhivago" on BD and the results remain thrilling and are to be cherished; so why not complete it with "Ryan's Daughter"?

I appreciate your kind words, Philip.

Often happen to use the Lawrence BD as a demo for quests, and rarely does its sterling quality fail to wow people, who are then particularly stunned when they realize that they are staring at a 53 year old film. (Wish I'd looked a fraction as good, when I was 53)

So, may we all keep our fingers crossed, in the hope, that before very long, many film enthusiasts will be using BDs of Ryan's Daughter for similar demos, as well, of course, for just their own enjoyment. And if any large format film with stunning cinematography demands a thorough restoration for both theatrical 4K and home UHD versions, Ryan's Daughter certainly must be at the head of that select class.

Reactions: PMF

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
OliverK said:
Agreed on showing Warner that we want this on Blu-ray and personally I would also very much like to have it on UHD Blu-ray.

I think Sarah Miles wasn't really known as a sex symbol so she should be fine with our membership not universally having the hots for her.

Well, some guys just might feel strange having the hots for the image of a woman, when they consider the fact that the actual woman is now 45 years older than that image. That's a feeling I can sure identify with, because I've really had a thing for Jean Simmons, ever since I started watching Spartacus on DVD in 1999. And Spartacus actually pre-dates Ryan's Daughter by 10 years, so my fantasy is really out of date! But, boy, the late, great, Ms Simmons sure personified a true knock-out portraying Varinia, especially near the conclusion of Spartacus, when Crassus has her dressed-up like a queen, in his villa. That scene always makes me think of what Humphrey Bogart, as Sam Spade, finally says about the Maltese Falcon. But in the interest of full disclosure, I do have to admit that a strange chill went through me when I read the news of Ms Simmons passing away in her 80s. Something like that can sure rock one's fantasies, at least temporarily.

However, it seems quite obvious to me now, that some obsessions simply have much later expiration dates than those who inspired them.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I like your line "too big for it's story", since to me, it's a very fitting description of Ryan's Daughter. While Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge On The River Kwai, and Doctor Zhivago all contained large themes and ideas, Ryan's Daughter disappointed me because it simply struck me as an over produced soap opera. And one that was way too long for its scant material.

some one on HTF called Ryan's Daughter a masterpiece, which, IMO, is a pretty big abuse of the term, but is certainly an appropriate description, I think, for the film's striking photography. Freddie Young's work just makes me wish that my wife and I could visit some of the locales in Ireland that he photographed.
The best description I read about RD which reflects my own opinion is that it is on the cusp of being a masterpiece
but topples over into melodrama.
Nevertheless, I would buy it on BD or UHD in a heartbeat.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Flaubert took a tawdry story of a bored housewife who commits adultery and subsequently kills herself, and through his impeccable style and artistry turned it into a literary masterpiece called Madame Bovary. Ryan's Daughter is Bolt's and Lean's retelling of the same story, without the suicide, and against the background of the Irish "troubles." Once again, it is the artistry of its creators that lifts the film from being just a banal story.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Mike Boone said:

But Ryan's Daughter has one thing in common with those other 3 films, masterful cinematography. And that's why it would be great to see its gorgeous large format photography with the highest quality home video format possible, on screens as big as film fans can muster.

In fact a great 2 part film trivia question would be: "Who is the only movie director in history who made 4 consecutive films that won the Best Cinematography Oscar, with that director using 2 different cinematographers to accomplish that feat? And what are the 4 films in the order of their release?

Naturally the answer is David Lean, and the 4 consecutive films with Oscar winning cinematography that Lean directed, and their cinematographers, are:

Someone on HTF called Ryan's Daughter a masterpiece, which, IMO, is a pretty big abuse of the term, but is certainly an appropriate description, I think, for the film's striking photography. Freddie Young's work just makes me wish that my wife and I could visit some of the locales in Ireland that he photographed.

Good point about the cinematography, of course the movies are rather less uniformly acclaimed and rightfully so.

Imo:

movie ranking:

LOA

Kwai

Zhivago

Ryans Daughter

cinematography ranking:

LOA

Ryans Daughter

Kwai

Zhivago

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Mike Boone said:
Well, some guys just might feel strange having the hots for the image of a woman, when they consider the fact that the actual woman is now 45 years older than that image. That's a feeling I can sure identify with, because I've really had a thing for Jean Simmons, ever since I started watching Spartacus on DVD in 1999. And Spartacus actually pre-dates Ryan's Daughter by 10 years, so my fantasy is really out of date! But, boy, the late, great, Ms Simmons sure personified a true knock-out portraying Varinia, especially near the conclusion of Spartacus, when Crassus has her dressed-up like a queen, in his villa. That scene always makes me think of what Humphrey Bogart, as Sam Spade, finally says about the Maltese Falcon. But in the interest of full disclosure, I do have to admit that a strange chill went through me when I read the news of Ms Simmons passing away in her 80s. Something like that can sure rock one's fantasies, at least temporarily.

However, it seems quite obvious to me now, that some obsessions simply have much later expiration dates than those who inspired them.

I recently watched a few movies with Veronica Lake and felt drawn to her quite a bit so I can fully understand!

Reactions: PMF

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Keith Cobby said:
Yes its's a shame about Ryan's Daughter not being released. Still you can always buy The Brain That Wouldn't Die on blu-ray. I think this is the main problem I have with the format after nearly ten years, many of the better films don't receive a release when many thousands of lesser ones do.

The astonishing fact that The Brain That Wouldn't Die was actually given a Blu-ray release can only be explained by a scenario such as: "Movie studio CEO, unbeknownst to others at the studio, was in the midst of a nervous breakdown when he became convinced that a totally evil, not to mention, thoroughly disembodied, brain, would kill him, if he did not issue a directive to the technical people at his studio to transfer The Brain That Wouldn't Die to Blu-ray. The final Blu-ray product that resulted, greatly pleased the studio boss who truly believed that it would allow the brain to live forever. However, the board of directors that had ultimate control over the studio, was certainly less than pleased by the financial losses incurred by the expense of the CEO's Blu-ray project, and thus instituted a lawsuit against him, in an effort to recover some of the studio's losses. But, in the end, the board did not succeed in gaining a single dime of compensation from the then former studio CEO, after solid psychiatric testimony clearly indicated that the man had not really been responsible for his actions, as he had come very close to being totally brain dead."

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Genre films mostly do better than serious movies. There is a market for B pictures in fantasy, horror, and sci-fi.

Notice the recent output from Twilight Time. Ever more skewed to genre.

Here are their October offerings:

September 25th - TWILIGHT TIME release schedule for October - COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE (1970) - Oct 13th, SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN (1970) - Oct 13th, STRANGE INVADERS (1983) - Oct 13th, BLACK WIDOW (1987) - Oct 13th, DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS (1995) - Oct 13th. Pre-orders begin September 30th at 4pm Eastern.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Mike Boone said:
"Who is the only movie director in history who made 4 consecutive films that won the Best Cinematography Oscar, with that director using 2 different cinematographers to accomplish that feat? And what are the 4 films in the order of their release?

Esteemed friend, Mike,

Excellent research and analysis! But was David Lean the only common link in that chain of sublime cinematography? Could other - possibly greater - forces have been at play?

Consider this slightly longer list of films that won an Oscar for cinematography:

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Screenplay: Robert Bolt
Director: David Lean
Cinematographer: Freddie Young

Doctor Zhivago (1965)

A Man For All Seasons (1966)
Director: Fred Zinnemann
Cinematographer: Ted Moore

Ryan's Daughter (1970)

The Mission (1986)
Director: Roland Joffé
Cinematographer: Chris Menges

Could it be that a humble wordsmith conjured up such vivid imagery as to inspire three distinct directors, as well as three separate cinematographers, to such rarified heights?

What say you, Brother?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
FANTASTIC through line. Great oberservation. Ya gotta love it!!!

And on this front, I still have them all on BD; with one exception...Ryan's Daughter...because it's not yet available.

Thanks for the list.

- PMF

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Regarding Twilight Time's release schedule, it is Halloween month, and BLACK WIDOW and DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS aren't horror films.

But I'd purchase RYAN'S DAUGHTER, too. And watch it sometime after THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE, a far more modest movie that achieves its aims in less than half the time. :)

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
RMajidi said:
Esteemed friend, Mike,

Excellent research and analysis! But was David Lean the only common link in that chain of sublime cinematography? Could other - possibly greater - forces have been at play?

Consider this slightly longer list of films that won an Oscar for cinematography:

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Doctor Zhivago (1965)

A Man For All Seasons (1966)
Director: Fred Zinnemann
Cinematographer: Ted Moore

Ryan's Daughter (1970)

The Mission (1986)
Director: Roland Joffé
Cinematographer: Chris Menges

Could it be that a humble wordsmith conjured up such vivid imagery as to inspire three distinct directors, as well as three separate cinematographers, to such rarified heights?

What say you, Brother?

My Australian Brother, the way you drew attention to Robert Bolt putting his creative imprint on such a diverse group of films, and being a likely source of inspiration for their directors and cinematographers, is really a case of somebody writing a post that hits one right out of the park.

I really appreciate your highlighting of the fact that Mr Bolt contributed more to film history than just writing the scripts for the 3 most well known film's that he's usually associated with. Actually, I should not have used the word "just", because those 3 scripts were some feats of screenwriting.

With many good films, I've often thought it a shame that their directors can be almost household names, while the author of a very strong script that can be vital in making a movie work, will usually operate behind the scenes, and rarely receive the spotlight on something like interview programs, whose producers, it seems, would much rather score a well known, or even, not so well known, director as a guest.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Which brings us full-circle back to "Ryan's Daughter" - perhaps - as every great writer has his muse; and Robert Bolt was married to Sarah Miles...twice!

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Mike Boone said:
My Australian Brother, the way you drew attention to Robert Bolt putting his creative imprint on such a diverse group of films, and being a likely source of inspiration for their directors and cinematographers, is really a case of somebody writing a post that hits one right out of the park.

I really appreciate your highlighting of the fact that Mr Bolt contributed more to film history than just writing the scripts for the 3 most well known film's that he's usually associated with. Actually, I should not have used the word "just", because those 3 scripts were some feats of screenwriting.

With many good films, I've often thought it a shame that their directors can be almost household names, while the author of a very strong script that can be vital in making a movie work, will usually operate behind the scenes, and rarely receive the spotlight on something like interview programs, whose producers, it seems, would much rather score a well known, or even, not so well known, director as a guest.
The script to RYANS DAUGHTER was not a feat of screen writing. It was a silly script that ruined the film.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
trajan said:
The script to RYANS DAUGHTER was not a feat of screen writing. It was a silly script that ruined the film.

I've spent many an hour reading the screenplay for Ryan's Daughter, and I must strongly disagree with every point you make. There's nothing silly about it. Is it Bolt's magnum opus? Certainly not. Is it a literate and thoughtful screenplay? Oh, hell yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks