What's new

UHD Vote for the release of "Ryan's Daughter" on UHD/4K (1 Viewer)

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Was so happy to see this thread. And I'm glad someone is takng the time and effort to let Warner Bros. know that there IS interest in this film. It is sorely missing from the Lean BR catalogue.

The film was unfortunately mislabeled as "not great" or "terrible" at the time of its release and that moniker continues today. Personally, I feel it stands out as one of Lean's better films, far better than "A Passage to India". It's not without its disappointments, however,--especially when compared to "Lawrence" or "Zhivago"--but there are moments of true cinematic genius. (Mitchum walking on the beach and discovering his wife's infidelity by following the footprints in the sand is but one example.) The real reason behind the film's failings is it was released at a time where cinema was pushing the bounderies of realism and this dramatic "hollywood" look at marriage and infidelity stuck out like a sore thumb. I definitely feel it is worthy of a second look and it deserves a proper presentation, especially given the continued appreciation for David Lean. There is much to appreciate and it is by no means a failure.

I shoud also note that Lean did not retire for 14 years after this film. In reality he was very busy preparing a few films that never came to fruition, most famously his 2-part film of Mutiny on the Bounty. But there is no question that he took his foot off the gas after the terrible critical beating he took following "Ryan's Daughter."

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
PMF said:
Just simply alerting those on this thread who are in support of seeing "Ryan's Daughter" brought to BD.

Meanwhile, movies ARE my life.

I say this without any apologies.

Furthermore, I am proud to be a member of HTF, as well.
While I voted for RAINTREE COUNTY myself I also have a lot of sympathy for RYAN'S DAUGHTER and I think it is always good to be passionate about our favorite movies.

Let's hope that eventually Warner will release all of their remaining higher profile large format releases which are AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, RAINTREE COUNTY and RYAN'S DAUGHTER. Clearly RYAN'S DAUGHTER would be the least costly project for Warner to tackle so maybe it will be first of the three to come to Blu-ray.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
PMF said:
Just simply alerting those on this thread who are in support of seeing "Ryan's Daughter" brought to BD.

Meanwhile, movies ARE my life.

I say this without any apologies.

Furthermore, I am proud to be a member of HTF, as well.

For what it's worth Philip, my hat's off to you for your dedicated efforts to bring this title to HD/UHD.

I hope you'll succeed.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Just my $.02 but I'd buy it if it were released. It would be nice to add one more to the Lean releases available in the format.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Dee Zee said:
Didn't David Lean consider Ryan's Daughter the third part of his sun/snow/water trilogy? Perhaps Mr. Harris can respond.

I'm all in on a blu Ray if it ever comes.

Correct.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
owen35 said:
Was so happy to see this thread. And I'm glad someone is takng the time and effort to let Warner Bros. know that there IS interest in this film. It is sorely missing from the Lean BR catalogue.

The film was unfortunately mislabeled as "not great" or "terrible" at the time of its release and that moniker continues today. Personally, I feel it stands out as one of Lean's better films, far better than "A Passage to India". It's not without its disappointments, however,--especially when compared to "Lawrence" or "Zhivago"--but there are moments of true cinematic genius. (Mitchum walking on the beach and discovering his wife's infidelity by following the footprints in the sand is but one example.) The real reason behind the film's failings is it was released at a time where cinema was pushing the bounderies of realism and this dramatic "hollywood" look at marriage and infidelity stuck out like a sore thumb. I definitely feel it is worthy of a second look and it deserves a proper presentation, especially given the continued appreciation for David Lean. There is much to appreciate and it is by no means a failure.

I shoud also note that Lean did not retire for 14 years after this film. In reality he was very busy preparing a few films that never came to fruition, most famously his 2-part film of Mutiny on the Bounty. But there is no question that he took his foot off the gas after the terrible critical beating he took following "Ryan's Daughter."
Considering the specificities of your David Lean allegiances, I am all the more hopeful and further encouraged.

Thank You for taking the time and sharing your views upon this thread.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Would love to see a good blu ray of SUMMERTIME. I think there was one released in Japan (?) but not sure of the quality or if it would be region free.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Japan is region A, and would guess the subtitles are not burned in. One reviewer stated it was a definite upgrade over the Criterion DVD, and didn't mention subtitle problems.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
OliverK said:
While I voted for RAINTREE COUNTY myself I also have a lot of sympathy for RYAN'S DAUGHTER and I think it is always good to be passionate about our favorite movies.

Let's hope that eventually Warner will release all of their remaining higher profile large format releases which are AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, RAINTREE COUNTY and RYAN'S DAUGHTER. Clearly RYAN'S DAUGHTER would be the least costly project for Warner to tackle so maybe it will be first of the three to come to Blu-ray.
Although I hope the same for all three titles - and as strongly as I feel about "Ryan's Daughter" being released on BD - my personal biases would abruptly change when speaking in terms of preservation. Which of these three films are in the most advanced stages of extinction? If monies from one film deprived the other from sorely needed restoration then, in a heart-beat, I would always have to put my personal selections aside.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I realize most people process this movie as a David Lean epic, but I have a strange fascination for these small Irish town type movies (or Scottish). I love How Green Was My Valley, The Quiet Man, Brigadoon, and Ryan's Daughter. All involve a young maiden wanting to be married, townspeople, father figures, etc.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Greetings Mr. Bannon,

Welcome to the club(s); i.e. the HTF and the "Ryan's Daughter" wish-list thread. With both, you are in fine, fine company.

Maybe, just maybe, you've solved an aspect of the love-hate issues with "Ryan's Daughter"; insomuch as most people view it as an epic.

Is it an Epic? I am not one to answer definitively; but I would say that its not. Certainly, "Ryan's Daughter" had its epic landscape. And its cinematography was undeniably one of epic proportions. Even its running time had suggested to many that it should have been an epic. Yet, to my mind, it was not an epic by definition; as I feel that an epic is defined by a narrative that spans the arch of a person's life or of a people; and that an epic has a historical arch marked by many milestones, events and a greater passage of time not found in "Ryan's Daughter". With that non-Webster definition, I feel that the rest of "Ryan's Daughter" is an intimate "story of love" [as expressed within its publicity from the 70's]. I would hope that anyone who ever re-reviews this film would do so from the standpoint of stepping back from it a bit. Simply judge it on its own terms; rather than trying to find a "River Kwai", a "Lawrence" or a "Zhivago". It's "Ryan's Daughter", no more - no less, and not the other three.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yesterday, I happened upon the availability of "Ryan's Daughter" as a BD import from Spain; through Amazon.

Would any of the HTF membership have some insights or takes on this import item?

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I have the import. It looks like a 70mm transfer to me. Its that good.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wonder why it is that one country has BD's of any given title, while another country is without?

Is it a reflection or signification of better transfers or restorations to come?

Regardless, Trajan, I will take your cue.

This decision is also based on your good eye for theTodd-AO to BD releases; as I agree with you on how they look.

Thanks for your input...SOLD !!!

P.S. to Warner Archive, et al:

If ever you produce a 4K BD of "Ryan's Daughter" - and top the import - then I will gladly repurchase.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
PMF said:
Yesterday, I happened upon the availability of "Ryan's Daughter" as a BD import from Spain; through Amazon.

Would any of the HTF membership have some insights or takes on this import item?

I stand to be corrected but hasn't Robert Harris already confirmed that the Spanish blu of Ryan's Daughter is, regardless of how good it looks, in fact, a bootleg?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm glad you brought that up.

When I spotted this "Import" BD from Spain, I was wondering if this was the very same item that RAH had mentioned, as well.

What was making me second-guess myself was the fact that Amazon was selling it.

I would hate to think that Amazon is selling Bootlegs (which - to my sensibilities - is equal in offense to Plagiarism).

So, I took the question of this Amazon product - this "Import" from Spain - to see if I could smoke it out through the HTF membership.

IF this is the Bootleg, then why is Amazon selling selling and endorsing it?

Without taking any credit away from Trajan's good eye, I will hold off on any purchase.

I hope that more members from the HTF can expand on this "import" of question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks