Ryan Leaf retires.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by KeithH, Jul 26, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Can you say 'bust'? I knew you could. Ryan Leaf, a one-time contender for the Heisman Trophy and the No.-2 pick in the 1998 NFL draft, has retired. He had been been picked up by the Seattle Seahawks after being released by the Dallas Cowboys, but decided to retire instead of attending training camp. Leaf has had problems with his right wrist, which likely contributed to, if not dictated, his retirement. For his career, Leaf had 14 touchdown passes, 36 interceptions, and a quarterback rating of 50.0. That's not good. Here is a link to the story on espn.com:
    http://www.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0726/1410477.html

2. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Yep well down the hatch!
    Probably the biggest draft bust ever is finally gone from the NFL!

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I am proud (or is it ashamed) to say that Ryan Leaf and I come from the same state. Back when our local high school met his at Varsity football game, a few of my friends ran into him at a party that weekend. (Remember, he was just another kid back then) He was acting like the cock of the walk, and he ended up getting into a scuff with a few other kids. Even when he was a regular guy, he had a bad rep for being a jerk around here.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, I'm pretty sure you meant to say ashamed. [​IMG] Once a jerk, always a jerk, I guess (Ryan Leaf, not you).

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

6. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

to bad

7. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    He'll be back. He is too young to quit even though he sucked. Next year or the year after some team will announce the signing of Ryan Leaf as a 3rd string QB. If he is hurt the injury will heal.

8. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I casually knew Ryan's cousin (or some relative) he said Ryan was much more interested in golfing, and drinking at the bars....and a first as far as I know: He was frequently booed at high school football games.......at his own home field.

Chris

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bruce said:

10. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

Ryan Leaf will be a White Castle manager in 5 years.

11. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    If only Jeff George would have retired as soon [​IMG]
    As a Colts fan, I'm so glad they drafted Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf that draft day.

12. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I'm not a Colts fan, but I can understand your position. [​IMG] It is funny to think about what a controversy there was back in '98 regarding whom the Colts should pick. The pundits said that Manning had the pedigree, intelligence, instincts, and winning attitude, but he lacked arm strength. They also said that Ryan was a physical specimen, but that he lacked experience relative to Manning. The pundits basically got it right, except for the arm strength thing with Manning. He doesn't have a gun like Elway or George, but his arm is certainly not a liability in my opinion. Anyway, to say the Colts made the right decision back in '98 in picking Manning is one of the great all-time understatements.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan Leaf at White Castle. Now that's amusing. This would be a typical exchange between Leaf as a White Castle cashier and a customer:
    Leaf: "Would you like fries with that, sir?"
    Customer: "No thank you."
    Leaf: "Why not?! What is your problem?! You don't want fries?! Then get out of my face, alright?!"
    *Leaf is then restrained by fellow employees.*
    [​IMG]

15. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

As a seahawks fan I just have to say thank god. It wouldn't have surprised me if Holmgren decided to try and turn leaf into his new starting qb. At least I can rest easy now[​IMG]

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I find it amusing everyone's calling this a "retirement." He really has had no career to retire from. "Quitting" would be more truthful and appropriate. Good riddance!

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Malcolm and Robert, I agree with both of you. To say he retired implies that he had a "profession" or a "career". That's an overstatement for Leaf. After all, what did he retire from? Crying? Whining? Fighting? I'm sure he will still be a cry baby. He just won't have the public forum to display that behavior in, which will be good for all of us. [​IMG]

20. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer