What's new

Ryan Leaf retires. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Can you say 'bust'? I knew you could. Ryan Leaf, a one-time contender for the Heisman Trophy and the No.-2 pick in the 1998 NFL draft, has retired. He had been been picked up by the Seattle Seahawks after being released by the Dallas Cowboys, but decided to retire instead of attending training camp. Leaf has had problems with his right wrist, which likely contributed to, if not dictated, his retirement. For his career, Leaf had 14 touchdown passes, 36 interceptions, and a quarterback rating of 50.0. That's not good. Here is a link to the story on espn.com:
http://www.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0726/1410477.html

Blu

Screenwriter
Yep well down the hatch!
Probably the biggest draft bust ever is finally gone from the NFL!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I am proud (or is it ashamed) to say that Ryan Leaf and I come from the same state. Back when our local high school met his at Varsity football game, a few of my friends ran into him at a party that weekend. (Remember, he was just another kid back then) He was acting like the cock of the walk, and he ended up getting into a scuff with a few other kids. Even when he was a regular guy, he had a bad rep for being a jerk around here.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, I'm pretty sure you meant to say ashamed. ;) Once a jerk, always a jerk, I guess (Ryan Leaf, not you).

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Leaf has had problems with his right wrist
mainly, that the wrist was attached to his right arm, which was attached to his shoulder, which was attached to his chest and on top of that sat his head, which was made out of dense lead. It's too bad he's retiring so young. He could have been the next Jeff George!

Bruce

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
He'll be back. He is too young to quit even though he sucked. Next year or the year after some team will announce the signing of Ryan Leaf as a 3rd string QB. If he is hurt the injury will heal.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
I casually knew Ryan's cousin (or some relative) he said Ryan was much more interested in golfing, and drinking at the bars....and a first as far as I know: He was frequently booed at high school football games.......at his own home field.

Chris

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If only Jeff George would have retired as soon :)
As a Colts fan, I'm so glad they drafted Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf that draft day.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I'm not a Colts fan, but I can understand your position. :) It is funny to think about what a controversy there was back in '98 regarding whom the Colts should pick. The pundits said that Manning had the pedigree, intelligence, instincts, and winning attitude, but he lacked arm strength. They also said that Ryan was a physical specimen, but that he lacked experience relative to Manning. The pundits basically got it right, except for the arm strength thing with Manning. He doesn't have a gun like Elway or George, but his arm is certainly not a liability in my opinion. Anyway, to say the Colts made the right decision back in '98 in picking Manning is one of the great all-time understatements.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan Leaf at White Castle. Now that's amusing. This would be a typical exchange between Leaf as a White Castle cashier and a customer:
Leaf: "Would you like fries with that, sir?"
Customer: "No thank you."
Leaf: "Why not?! What is your problem?! You don't want fries?! Then get out of my face, alright?!"
*Leaf is then restrained by fellow employees.*
:D

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
As a seahawks fan I just have to say thank god. It wouldn't have surprised me if Holmgren decided to try and turn leaf into his new starting qb. At least I can rest easy now:D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
It is funny to think about what a controversy there was back in '98 regarding whom the Colts should pick.
I do remember the experts on ESPN (College Gameday) were so sure that Leaf was the new, prototypical QB and Manning would never succeed in the NFL. :laugh: Goes to show you that the experts aren't always right.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I find it amusing everyone's calling this a "retirement." He really has had no career to retire from. "Quitting" would be more truthful and appropriate. Good riddance!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm and Robert, I agree with both of you. To say he retired implies that he had a "profession" or a "career". That's an overstatement for Leaf. After all, what did he retire from? Crying? Whining? Fighting? I'm sure he will still be a cry baby. He just won't have the public forum to display that behavior in, which will be good for all of us. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks