What's new

Russian Ark cover art (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Russian Ark is due on DVD from Wellspring on 09/09 (one more fall title, wahoo). The cover is posted at Amazon. Sorry if this is old news, but a search turned up nothing, and I don't recall any other posts on this, except in the Movies forum. The only thing is that Amazon lists no details about the DVD, but seeing as it's part of Wellspring's Masterworks Editions line, like Kurosawa's Ran, I suppose some features are in order. I'm really hoping for a commentary by the director on this, though I don't know if he speaks English or not.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I wanted to see this in theaters but missed out and I'm now thinking of buying it sight unseen. Is it worth a blind purchase? I like foreign films and reading subtitles doesn't bother me. Also I do know some russian (Learned a few words here and there by listening to t.A.T.u.'s music)

Looks like the cover art is different than the theatrical poster, I remember seeing the original title (In russian) under the english one.

So what's the movie about (No major spoilers please)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
IMHO, this is one of the best films of the last decade. it is simply astonishing. I just wish someone other than Wellspring was doing this DVD. The movie is a history of Russia through the Hermitage museum in a single 90 minute take.

Cary T

Screenwriter
A great film. On my top 10 list of 2002. I'm seriously considering a purchase, but sept. is already an expensive month.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Seville is doing this disc in Canada. Cover art appears to be the same except they are releasing it under the Signature Collection so that banner will be at the top.

I haven't seen the specs yet.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Wellspring's Russian Ark site has nothing on the DVD. I'm really curious about specs and extras, but this is a definite buy in any case.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Since Russian Ark is a new film, the print should still be in fantastic condition... so there shouldn't be any reason for a bad transfer.

However, since Seville is releasing it in Canada - if they're not using the same transfer as Wellspring, then I hope they do a decent job with it.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It was shot digitally onto a hard drive, right? There would be no excuse for a bad transfer.
Thanks for reminding me.

So we better not be seeing a bad transfer on this one.
Of course it seems that the greater the film is - the greater the chance there is for a bad transfer. Just seems to work out that way.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Since Russian Ark is a new film, the print should still be in fantastic condition... so there shouldn't be any reason for a bad transfer.
It's Wellspring, I would say there is at least an 80% chance the transfer is going to suck. I recently rented Alias betty a new movie and yet Wellspring still managed to put out a disc that looked like ass.

As far as Ran, I actually prefer the older dvd, while it's faded and very soft, It at least looks like the movie was at some point actually film. The new disc looks like over digitaly processed garbage that was transfered off of a Playstation1 game :thumbsdown:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
That's too bad. And I was looking forward to acquiring Wellspring's Ran at some point. Good thing I didn't, looks like... :frowning:

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's converted directly from an interlaced PAL source, and it does indeed look like garbage.

Hopefully Russian Ark will be a direct-to-digital transfer - a film this visually magnificent deserves nothing less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks