What's new

Russ Meyer Dies At 82 (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
It's a very sad day.
Many many years ago I snuck into Vixon and for many years after thought that's what all X rated movies were like. Just recently I watched Faster pussycat and still couldn't believe how strangely great the movie was ...

We will miss you RM

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
We lost Akira Kurosawa in 1998 and Stanley Kubrick in 1999. Now Russ Meyer is gone. :frowning:

The opening sequence of Supervixens! features some of the most relentless editing I have ever seen in a motion picture.

What is the state of Mr. Meyer's catalog on DVD? I understand there are some French releases. I would love to retire my VHS and LD copies of his works.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Yep... he was one of a kind. I managed to get a nice Vixens LD box set a few years back that has the films with commentary. Never managed to get Mondo Topless on LD but I do have a tape of it. Hopefully his movies will get a good DVD treatment in the future.

RIP fellow breast lover.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I met him mid 80's at CES in Chicago. He was manning his own rather small booth and I got to spend about an hour with him.

Funny guy...RIP

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I hope they already recorded a commentary with him for the upcoming Criterion Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. Please!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There are 9 Meyer DVDs out in region one, but they don't come cheap at $40 a pop. You can get them through his website. I'll be hanging on to my Vixen LD box, as there are no commentaries on the DVDs, and they are great commentaries.

RIP Russ.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

Thanks for the info & link.

Does anyone know the status of his BOSOMANIA project? I thought it was a film he was working on, but apparently there is a book by the same name.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I had heard of the "Patton grabs Hitler" story before, but never realized that Meyer was in on it. He apparently was a great combat cameraman, a point totally left out of the general discussion of his works.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Arrow Films are releasing eighteen of Russ Meyer's pictures in R2, starting with a group on 10/18 including Vixen, Supervixens, Beneath The Valley of the Ultravixens and Faster Pussycat. RRP £15.99.

I'd like to be him when I grow up. RIP, dirty ol' man.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I hope they finally remaster his movies and release them in their original aspect ratio. RIP...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks