What's new

Rush In Rio is finally here. (1 Viewer)

Adam_R

Second Unit
It's playing in 30 theaters across the US tonight at 7:30 to launch the best concert DVD ever made. (my opinion)

Check www.regalcm.com for theater locations and ticket purchases.

Oh yeah. Go bouy the double DVD and triple CD. Bestbuy has a great deal. Both for $35. Not bad.

ROCK ON HOME THEATER FORUM!!!

:D :b ;) :) :emoji_thumbsup: :star:

Brian Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from purchasing the CD and the DVD. Listened to the first three tracks of the CD in my car on the way back to work. I am praying that the DVD sounds better than the CD, but I won't keep my hopes up.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
I've not found much fault with the sound, but read the insert. It kinda talks about how the show was just thrown to gether and how much work it took.

Josh Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I think Rush in Rio sounds unreal. By far their best live album and the mix is more like what i heard at the show. I am glad Alex mixed this and i hope he continues to do their future live albums. Much better at mixing than Geddy was, IMHO.

Havent checked out the dvd yet, will do that when i get home from work.

Today is a happy day for Rush fans.

Adam_R

Second Unit
About the sound:

There's been some question about the crown noise being loud.

I think we need to get over it. It's a live performance, and I think Rush is trying to emulate the live experience as closely as possible.

Listen to earlier live releases, and they sounds great, but if you don't really pay attention, you would forget that they're live at all, sans the cheering between songs.

I will reserve judgement until I listen carefully several times and let the music break-in my ears.:D

I also think Geddy did a fine job mixing Different Stages. While it did not have as much crown noise as RIR, it did have more of a raw live sound. Anyway, I'm just happy to have it. ROCK ON!

Adam_R

Second Unit
I would pick up the DVD for sure.

The CD is great as well if you want to listen in the car or something, but if I'm at home, I'll never put the CD on, cause I'd rather be watching the DVD!

Also, Between the Sun and Moon, and Vital Signs anre pretty great songs, and are exclusive to the CD.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Oh, there's no chance of me making it home today without the DVD. :)

But with Indy and Battlestar Galactica today (and The Kids Are Alright yesterday -- surprise bargain at Costco), I've gotta think about whether I want to tack on the extra $15 for the CDs.

How do they compare to Different Stages?

Josh Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I was so dissapointed in the sound mix of Different Stages, the performances were good, but the fake echo they added was terrible. I have a soundboard bootleg which i have been told is a multi-track recording of the 1997 TesT for Echo show in Mansfield, MA(2112 from Different Stages is from this show) that absolutley blows away DS. Anyone who wants a copy, let me know.

Back to the topic at hand, I would pick it up if you plan to listen to it anywhere other than at home on you main system.

Personally i love the mix, i think it is the best sounding Rush live show by FAR. Vocals aren't too loud, but clear and the guitar tone sounds great to me.

I recommend both, but take my opinion with a grain of salt as everyone's preference on mix and sound vary greatly.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I just ordered the DVD from Amazon and I can't
wait to check it out. I heard a couple of tracks
on the radio today and Geddy's voice sounded pretty
strong on Tom Sawyer, The Spirit Of Radio and
Working Man. Hopefully the rest of the show is
as good with his singing. I thought his voice was
pretty weak on Different Stages IMO.

greg_t

Screenwriter
It was supposed to be anamaphoric, but I guess not. I just watched some of mine, and it isn't. I'm also irked about dropping DTS. However, the image quality is good, and the Dolby is also very good. The performance is specatacular and the dvd is well worth the money.

I also got the CD, but have only listened to Tom Sawyer so far, and have much to go, but I was not impressed with the sound of Tom Sawyer. I hope it gets better. The crowd is way loud and Geddy's vocals almost distant on Tom Sawyer.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

Check the thread in the music section for the supposed method of finding the Anthem EE.

I am sooooo dissapointed..... The show is great but first no DTS... and NO widescreen support...All the previous info said it would be :frowning:

I was watching it last night and I was switching trought my picture mode on my 16:9 TV and I was asking to myself: what is that damm format!!!!! its suppose to be widescreen!!

with which picture mode you get the best results???

(me I have a toshiba)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Keith, Richard, Greg and Eric:

Check my post here for more info. on why the disc has no DTS and is not anamorphic:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...12#post1830412

I feel your pain, Eric. A friend of mine--who I convinced to get a direct view 16x9 set--has a Tosh and he is similarly frustrated to the point of (much to my chagrin) regretting getting a 16x9 set. The issue is exacerbated for him by the fact that he's a huge Simpsons fan which is of course 4:3.

One shouldn't have to be up to speed on film aspect ratios, what kind of aspect ratio control your DVD player has if any and how your set responds to it (i.e., does it lock in full mode with a progressive signal via the component inputs??) but unfortunately this seems to be the complicated state of things for now.

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks