What's new

RP91on a 4:3 tv Does it do the sqeeze? (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Does this progressive player put out a 16:9 image unsquished on a 4:3 tv and at full resolution?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not know of any DVD player that does this. If you have a 4x3 TV, the anamorphic transfer must be downconverted to fit into the 4x3 frame of the monitor. Of course, if your TV can perform the squeeze trick, you could leave the RP-91 in 16x9 mode. However, that is no different than any other player.
------------------
patriot.gif

My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Chuck Blair

Agent
The Malata N996 is able to do this. Set the player to output to a 16x9 TV and then use the x-y scaling capability of the Malata. Takes 16 clicks on the down arrow when in the x-y menu. It works perfectly without doing anything to the TV itself. At least it works on my 7 year old Sony 53" RPTV using S-video. And on top of this is does excellant PAL to NTSC conversion and plays all regions. If you have a 4x3 TV, buying the Malata is like getting a new 16x9 TV for free. The difference is dramatic on most anamorphic titles, including PAL titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks