What's new

RP91 Qs on audio setup, CD playback (1 Viewer)

Chris Vargas

Agent
OK, I have my Panasonic RP91 connected to my Denon AVR-3200 via the six analog outs. I've set up the RP91 for small speakers (NHT SuperOnes L/R, SuperCenter, SuperZeroes as surround, Mirage sub).

Question: I've already adjusted speaker delay times in my Denon. Do I need to do it in the RP91's setup screen too? My feeling is no, but I just want to confirm.

Problem: In order to check what was going on with my sub (see below), I tried to play an old favorite CD, a Telarc Michael Murray organ CD. It refused to play. Tried another old, off-market organ CD. Refused to play. Other, newer CDs, played fine. The CDs are fine (no fingerprints or scratches to speak of). Does anyone else have problems playing CDs with their RP91.

Bonus problem: I was trying to check what was going on with my sub due to what I've found with one of two DVD-Audio discs I have, Bach: Organ Spectacular (Ton Koopman). I'm getting absolutely ZERO output from my sub with this disc, regardless of settings in the RP91. I am getting sub output with the other DVD-A disc (Bela Fleck), so it's not the sub. Anyone have this disc too by any chance? Can they confirm what I'm (not) hearing?

Thanks in advance.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Can't answer the delay question, but the sub question seems to be a matter of bass management. I don't know if this player has it for DVD-Audio. Most of the 1st generation didn't. Or, maybe it is just turned off or set wrong.

Without this, all that's going to the sub would be the separate bass channel (.1), which on some DVD-Audio discs might be nothing. There is nothing going to the sub in the way of low bass from the other speakers. Your receiver does bass management for Dolby Digital, but probably not for analog input.

Curious: Why are you using analog output for CDs, and not digital?

Chris Vargas

Agent
I'm not sure of the definition of "bass management" but the RP91 does have a menu where you can set large vs small speakers, and I've set them to small.

As for why I'm using analog vs. digital, it's strictly convenience. Since the AVR3200 only has DD and not DTS, I thought if I just left it set for the 6-channel analog inputs, and let the RP91 do the decoding, I wouldn't have to keep switching the receiver depending on the soundtrack I pick in a disc.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Question: I've already adjusted speaker delay times in my Denon. Do I need to do it in the RP91's setup screen too? My feeling is no, but I just want to confirm.
Most older receivers do no processing whatsoever on the 5.1 channel analog inputs, so you would have to rely on the external processor (your RP-91, in this case) for all speaker settings. This includes bass management (large vs. small, etc.) and speaker delays.

I have not tried my RP-91 with redbook CDs, since I have a separate CD player. However, other RP-91 owners have stated that the Panny is not a great CD player. Since the RP-91 has both coaxial and optical inputs that are both active, you may want to connect your unused digital connection to your Denon's CD input for playing redbook CDs. That way you will be using the Denon's DACs, which are probably better than the Panny's for CD playback.

The RP-91's built-in bass management is not that great, so you would probably be better served to use the Dolby Digital decoder in your Denon, and just use the RP-91 for DTS decoding. Of course, you will have to weigh the audible improvements vs. the inconvenience of switching inputs based on soundtrack type.

Elmo

Grip
how is the rp's built in dd decoder ? any good, i have a technics stand alone dd deocder right now will i see any improvments using the built in decoder of the dvd player

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks