What's new

RP HDTV - Should I wait for DVI? (1 Viewer)

JoeyB

Agent
I am getting the itch to upgrade to a RP HDTV (50-60") in the near future, but I need some advice regarding DVI and other options.

1. When are sets with the HDCP/DV interface expected to be widely available? I am fairly reluctant to buying a new set now that doesn't have this interface (as well as firewire), particularly if such-equipped sets will become available in the next few months.

2. Based on my family's viewing habits, I would prefer a 4x3 set. However, I wouldn't be surprised if DVI is only offered in 16x9 sets. What is expected to be available?

3. With 16x9 sets, what happens with 480i 4x3 programs (broadcast movies) that are presented in letterbox format? Are you left with a samll picture with black bars around all the sides, or do any sets have the capability to zoom the picture to the full width of the screen? (I'm talking about an aspect ratio preserving zoom, not some ridiculous distorting stretch mode.) If there is such capability, does the resolution suck?

4. I know this has been discussed at length before, but is screen "burn-in" from extensive 4x3 viewing on 16x9 sets a real problem, or is it something which is noticable only if you really look for it?

Jack Henley

Auditioning
I was down at a local hi-fi shop last night and the owner said dhcp DVI inputs would be available on models this fall, as of right now he had seen none. I was all set to purchase the Pioneer pro-720HD when I found out it didn't even have a DVI input . oh well, I can wait till fall I guess. Gives me more time to save up.

Jack

JoeyB

Agent
I've heard the fall 2002 estimate elsewhere. Good. I can make it a Christmas present for my 1 year old. My wife really likes when I do that. :D

W

Will

Will the sets that don't have DVI (which are all current RPTVs) be very much less usable in the future than future sets that have DVI? If this question has been answered elsewhere please direct me to a link and I apologize in advance for asking it here if it's discussed elsewhere. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks