What's new

Rotel 1055 vs 1056 (1 Viewer)

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
From what I've read and seen, it seems that the only difference between the new 1056 and current 1055 is the addition of High Definition Component ins/outs.

I'm really dying to pick up one, and want to know if the added HD capability is realistically something I should wait until March (April?) for.

I only have a Sony DVD currently (although am eyeing the Rotel 1040), and am just running an old Sony 27" tv, although I'm hoping to pick up a 42" rear projection LCD Grand Wega by the end of the year. I don't watch too much tv, and only have a cable feed, no satellite or HDTV.

My speakers are Axiom M22's and an HSU sub.

Is the HD component something I 'need' to support dvd and/or HDTV with my future LCD? Or is this for far more high end stuff than I have?

I'm not very patient about waiting, because I'm thinking I might be able to get a deal on the leftover 1055's while they last.

Thanks!

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
The HD in out and Dolby PLIIx are about the only two real improvements that jump out at me.

If you don't care about haveing the reciever doing the switching (I don't as I go direct from source to Toshiba 51H83 then why bother? I won't be upgrading. Same power I doubt the soic improvement will be HUGE (I could be wrong as I have not hreard one)

Jim.M

Grip
The RSX 1056 will have video upsampling and three HD component inputs. The RSX 1055 does not allow you to send different video inputs (composite, S-video) to one monitor out. They can only switch S-video to an S-video out, composites to the composite out, component inputs to the component monitor out. The RSX 1056 will allow you to switch a composite, an s-video, and HD component inputs and send them all out to the one component monitor out (with upsampling on the comp and s-vid). The RSX 1056 will alo allow you to customize the crossover setting of each speaker (versus one setting for speakers set to small) and of the speakers in different modes, etc.

I know this b/c I just called Rotel to get some clarity on it.

In case you aren't aware, Rotel is also capable of upgrading the 1055s component inputs/output to 200Mhz for HD switching versus the standard 10Mhz. Some newer units have this built in, if not, they can do it for $100.

Jim

Jim.M

Grip
PS - here is the info on the HD comp upgrade for the RSX 1055 (from Rotel's website):

"The original bandwidth of the RSX 1055’s component video inputs is 10MHz. However more recent shipping models have upgraded this bandwidth to 200MHz to support HDTV bandwidth. There is an upgrade available to update the original component video inputs to the new wider bandwidth inputs. You can either contact your local Rotel dealer or our Service department for further information on the upgrade."

If you really don't want to wait and don't mind the switching issue and the crossover setting limitation, you should be able to get a good deal on the 1055 with the HD component upgrade.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The bass management will also be improved in the new models and since they're using the same crystal chip as the 1098 there's a good change they'll sound better too. There's been a lot of talk on these new models on the Club Rotel if you want to read up more on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks