What's new
World Wide Stereo

room size for projector (1 Viewer)

manxral

Auditioning
Real Name
hanno miltova
is it wise to fit a projector in a 10' by 11' room, on a 7' screen?

too small no?

728x90

manxral

Auditioning
Real Name
hanno miltova
thanks jim. the post there was closed i accidently posted there before here so ill move on here regarding ur last reply.

my budget is entery level. around 1000-1200$. viewing distance is around 3.1 meters [around 10ft].

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
It can be done. I have a decent HT in 13x11 room. Bigger is nicer and my new house will have 17x12 space but small room is better than no room at all and can fit a projector. Your surround sound is not going to be the best possible but you won't have to invest a lot to get great bass.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I have my projector (Benq 7800) in a one bedroom apartment. The area the projector is in measures about 13x12. It has worked out fine for me.

One suggestion I would have though is to pay close attention to the noise level of whatever unit you get. In a small space, chances are you will be close to it. On my Benq when the fan kicks into high gear (maybe 20% of the time) the noise can be a bit distracting.

-KeithP

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
First off, with your budget you'll need to buy a 480p projector. The recommended seating distance with a 480p projector is about 2X the screen width. That gives you a screen width of about 5'(60") minimum. You could probably go a little bigger, but you won't know for sure until you check it out.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Even so, you might want to consider how big you really want it - many films can't survive the Imax Experience(TM).

But yes, there is no reason why you can't have a projector in a small space. Because of certain issues, I sit 8' from my screen, and it's approximately 72" diagonal (~1.66:1 screen; again, other issues.) On the other hand, it is acoustically transparent with the center speaker behind the screen's center.

Leo

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sami's right, there are a couple LCD 720p projectors available for $1200 or less, but I wouldn't buy one. One is the OLD Sanyo Z2, and the Infocus 5000.

manxral

Auditioning
Real Name
hanno miltova
first.. thanks all..

im kinda impressed with the preformance of the sharp xr10x model. which is a bit more expensive but delivers some nice images.

im more intrested in DLP projectors rather then LCD. so other models like the hitachi range are not on my list.

any other models?
i can go a bit higher budget wise... ;)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Try to get a 720p DLP projector but if you can't find one in your pricerange I would rather get a 720p LCD than a 480p DLP. HD discs are going to be readily available by next year and they look simply awesome, even on a SP5000 (which is not that great of a projector).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GAMark
Recent bookmarks